Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree548Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2006, 18:14   #1
God Member

Christian Science

Can anyone tell me anything about this organisation? Has anyone had any dealings with them? Does anyone know anyone who is a member or has participated? Any info would be useful. Thanks

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Accrington Web
Old 25-01-2006, 18:19   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Christian Science

I once went out with someone whose auntie was a Christian Scientist and she believed that illness was all in the mind but that may not have been official doctrine.

Old 25-01-2006, 18:56   #3
God Member

They used to have a Church or reading rooms on Burnley Road, Accrington next to Accrington Garages the Vauxhall agents. Don't know whether it's still there though.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
Old 25-01-2006, 18:59   #4
God Member

don't know if this helps Gayle....just googled it for pages in the UK and got this:
http://www.csis.org.uk/
Old 25-01-2006, 19:01   #5
Resident Waffler

It is still there next to the Vauxhall garage. The old building was replaced by a smaller more modern one set further back from the road. More or less opposite the end of Alice Street.

Old 26-01-2006, 15:44   #6
I am Banned

isnt tom cruise a follower of a similar cult but like a millionairs version of it ...?
Old 26-01-2006, 15:46   #7
God Member

Yes it's definately one of those 'trendy religions' amongst the Hollywood A-listers.....Madonna is a follower of it aswell I think.
Old 26-01-2006, 16:34   #8
Resident Waffler

Madonna is a follower of Kaballah isn't she? Which is nothng to do with Christian Science.

Old 26-01-2006, 16:39   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
isnt tom cruise a follower of a similar cult but like a millionairs version of it ...?
Tom Cruise and John Travolta are followers of Scientology which is something different as far as I know.

http://www.scientology.org/

Old 26-01-2006, 16:42   #10
Give, give, give member

The only thing I know about Christian Scientists is that Nancy Astor, the first woman to take her seat in the House of Commons, was one.

Old 26-01-2006, 16:58   #11
God Member

Is there a difference between Christian Science and say Muslim or Jewish Science?

Old 26-01-2006, 17:00   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Madonna is a follower of Kaballah isn't she? Which is nothng to do with Christian Science.
I stand corrected!
Old 26-01-2006, 17:17   #13
Resting in Peace

Once went to one of their meetings with a friend who was a 'member'.They believe in communication with dead souls, etc., and had had a scarey experience on a ouija board, and thought they could offer some comfort, however, after the visiting medium had pointed me out stating they had a message from Aunt Mary? "Sorry No" says I "Uncle Fred, cousin Sam, Uncle Tom Cobbler and all ?" After negative answers from myself, decided to give up the ghost so to speak.
Old 26-01-2006, 22:28   #14
Resident Waffler

Are you sure that wasn't the Spiritualists?

Old 26-01-2006, 22:33   #15
Senior Member+

I have talked to Christian Scientists in the past, all I can remember is this guy linking everthing with the solar system, everthing that happened had a link/explanation to science or the solar system......

Will try and remember or find out more, you have me thinking now....why do you wanna know gayle??????????
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..