Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2004, 21:20   #16
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: christmas!!!!!!!!!

I don't mind the present buying, it's the wrapping. Most of my presents look like they've been wrapped by a four year old by the time I've finished with them. At the moment I'm suffering from a terrible affliction called envelope licker's tongue. Why do they taste so foul? I'm having to have a glass of wine to get rid of the taste.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-12-2004, 23:00   #17
Resident Waffler

I hate wrapping too. Have finished all the ones for other people and just have family left now but still loads of cards to write. I'm using a damp sponge for the envelopes. Can't stand that foul glue and having been told what glue is made from I'm not surprised.

The house is still a tip with some decorations still not sorted and now there's a half made bedside cabinet in the middle of the dining room.

I don't think this place will ever be tidy!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 15:13   #18
Senior Member+

I hate licking the cards as well.

Fortunately I have a wife who actually likes the taste, but what is it made of Willow?

I somehow end up wrapping things up on 24th and 27th - the 28th being her birthday!!!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 15:22   #19

started christmas shopping in October but still not got it all done, just started sending out cards but not feeling too festive, meant to be in Accrington for New Years Eve so you never know I may bump into some of you, I will be the drunk blond telling everyone how fantastic they are because i'm an happy drunk..........bring on the vodka

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed .......Sebastine Chamford
fibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 15:36   #20
Senior Member+

You won't bump into me I'm afraid, being from Tunbridge Wells an' all...!

Old 10-12-2004, 15:37   #21
Beacon of light

Lettie....that's a damned good excuse to have a glass of wine.....licking envelopes!
I know what it is you want to post man to get drunk off the fumes.
Your shopping trip sounded like a real blast too......I think you are having too much fun
(Joking of course)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 15:37   #22

aahhh now I am sad...I will miss you though!!!!

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed .......Sebastine Chamford
Old 10-12-2004, 15:40   #23
Senior Member+

That's very sweet of you fibi!

Old 10-12-2004, 16:32   #24
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Well, the Christmas fun has just started. I have made a half assed attempt to put up the tree. I had to find it first as it was under the stairs in the room that Lettie's hoover forgot. If Kim and Aggie ever peeped under my stairs I would die of shame. After almost an hour trying to de-tangle the fairy lights...I swear I put them away tidily last year, they are finally on the tree and by some christmas miracle, they work!!! I've dug out all my tree ornaments and tinsel and chucked them on. I think it looks great.. I don't have any kind of theme for my tree. Some of my ornaments are years old and made of wood, some are glass and some are modern tat. I think my tree reflects my chaotic lifestyle.

What do your Christmas trees say about you????

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 16:41   #25

My christmas tree says that size does matter....bought a new one and its 7ft and as you know leccie i'm not so when i stand next to it, it looks like it belongs to Hagrid......

Old 10-12-2004, 16:44   #26
Senior Member+

When we put ours up I'll take a pic and put it in here.

It's 5ft tall as when we got it we had a much smaller house and it had to go in a space under the stairs.

We have never really got round to changing it, but it stores away very nicely in a wardrobe that we found in our loft when we bought the house!!!

Old 11-12-2004, 00:54   #27
Resident Waffler

My Christmas tree says I can't be bothered with all that business of untangling lights etc. It's a fibre optic colour changing thing with stars and no other decorations whatsoever.

For vorlon - from someone who worked in a glue making factory I was told:

The glue manufacturing process is basically as follows:

gather up bones and hides of dead cows, wash to remove dirt and scrape off any left over meat.
soak in lime water for 60-90 days
wash againto remove hair and lime
neutralize with acid, drain, wash & drain
add water, heat at 110F for 2-4 hours
drain off the dilute glue solution, evaporate to thicken
repeat last 2 steps 3-4 times to extract all of the glue increasing the temperature by 20-25 deg. F each time.

Old 11-12-2004, 01:16   #28
I am Band

Talking Re: christmas!!!!!!!!!

Mmmm... tasty.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:42   #29
Senior Member+

Willow, you have just spoilt my breakfast. yuk

Old 11-12-2004, 10:42   #30
Resident Waffler

Blame vorlon - he asked.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..