Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2004, 21:51   #1

christmas!!!!!!!!!

hi i can't believe it christmas time all ready! doesn't seem that long since it was christmas last year! i'm going christmas shopping tomorrow. i haven't even got my christmas cards never mind wrote them. lol.Hope i catch up with it all soon other wise my mates will have no presents.lol. is any 1 else as behind as me. were only at school another few week and we brake up (22nd ) can't cum quick eought of me. love princess xxx
princesshales is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-12-2004, 17:17   #2
Beacon of light

Re: christmas!!!!!!!!!

Princess.....you are not alone......I am in the same predicament......nothing done......at this rate we won't be having Christams until March. I used to be soooooo organised when I was working (had to be) but now I am retired I keep thinking'oh there is plenty of time......will do it next week' I can feel the hot breath of Christmas on my cheek...either that or the mince pies are on fire!!!!!!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 21:43   #3
Senior Member+

We went to Lakeside today, and came back empty-handed

We did better when we shopped in Tunbridge Wells, but we thought we might be able to finish off at Lakeside, as bigger shops, more shops, and therefore more choice.

The problem is that we really don't know what to get some people, so you really need to have a good browse in the shops.

We ordered a load of stuff off the internet this evening, but that's fine if you know exactly what you want.

Roll on when you can take a virtual stroll through shops from the comfort of your computer!!!
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 22:02   #4
Senior Member+

I got some great advice on this site and found this website http://www.leisurevouchers.co.uk/end_ideas_eating.htm
so ordered some Vouchers from here and the rest from Amazon. Good Luck

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:48   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I am so disorganised this year. I have now got a week off work before I have a nervous breakdown. I have to finish a University assignment which I have a mental block on at the moment. It has to be in next week, so I'm going to have to pull something out of my bum for that one. I have done no Christmas shopping and I've about 25 to buy for. The only cards I've written are those to go abroad. I have to get a haircut, go on 2 Christmas parties, going to a play on friday night, I have to go to work for a meeting, despite being off, give the house a damn good clean and put the tree up, the car could do with a clean too.
Could we please please cancel Christmas this year, or if anyone has a kid that wants some pocket money send them to clean my car..

I need to go back to work for a rest..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 19:44   #6
Beacon of light

Well..... I have got the Christmas cards done today......will do a card 'run' tomorrow and post the rest on Tuesday.
I have quite a few people to buy for..... but haven't got a clue what to get..... Matalan have 20% off gifts from today so I may have a look there..... the only other thing I have done is to plan the food.....it will be a Sunday Roast but on a Saturday... with one or two little festive touches. Hope you get the assignment done lettie.... once that is out of the way maybe things will become clearer.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 21:46   #7
Resident Waffler

I've bought all my presents, probably still need to buy more cards. I can't seem to motivate myself to write cards and wrap pressies apart from the abroad ones which have already gone.

On top of that I've got a strange ailment - feel very dizzy and light headed all the time - which makes everything twice as hard to do. In fact if I lean forward I totally lose my sense of balance. And no I, not drunk but it certainly feels like it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 22:43   #8
Always EVIL within us

I am really looking forward to Christmas, not only will it be a break from driving (unless A-b puts a load of photo's on the Accy web and I have to drive Willow around to look for the proverbial needle in a haystack) but it is also the first anniversary of my arrival in Accrington and I can celebrate what is probably the best year of my life Thank you Willow and all my new-found friends on the Accy web
Old 06-12-2004, 05:33   #9

Have any of our members in Aussie any ideas on the best way to send money to our son for Xmas. I don't think a UK cheque is any good, and we don't have cheques here in Germany. Anybody any ideas?
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 07:25   #10
Filthy / Gorgeous

Do they have a Moneygram system in Germany Darby? I'm sure our Post Office do moneygram so that you can send money abroad.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 06-12-2004, 13:46   #11
Senior Member+

Does Paypal cover Australia? If so you could each set up a Paypal account and transfer money to them that way.

It won't cost you anything to send it, but it will cost a little bit to collect - they just transfer it to their bank account.

It takes about 10 minutes tops to set up, but probably about a week to complete as they have to verify account details. I have just done this so that I can sell stuff on ebay, and its more secure than posting
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 13:11   #12
Resting in peace

Not bought any pressies yet. Sent one lot of cards, but not those that need letters to go with them. Am working full time, and out about 4 nights a week currently. When not out, get home, cook, eat, fall asleep.

Leaving work on 23rd. Hopefully at around lunchtime. Then train via Leeds to Ossy. Will stop in Accrington, do Asda. Get back to Ossy probably around 8p.m. Have a much needed g'n't, cook, eat, try to clean up the place - those of you who have seen it will know what I mean! - builders dust & rubble everywhere, not to mention the aftermath of two floods. Christmas Eve morning, collect goose and turkey thing, do last minute shopping, forget vital items, have to go out again (and again). Christmas Day - cook Christmas lunch for minimum of 6 (oh, forgot on Christmas Eve may have to collect house guest from station). Eat, drink, THEN GO TO SLEEP!

There's also the small fact that getting pressies etc is difficult (although I am five minutes walk from Oxford Street) in that I get into the office at 9:30, and don't usually leave until well after 6, sometimes nearer 7. Lunch hour? - forget it!

HELP!
(but I love Christmas really).
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 18:09   #13
Filthy / Gorgeous

I feel much better. The house is still a tip and the car still has it's veneer of muck on it but... The assignment is now fairly complete, just needs editing and printing and I have done the main bulk of the present buying. Had a nice day shopping in Manchester today, Sparky came with me to carry the bags... The European festive market there is lovely, it would have been rude not to stop for Gluhwein and Bavarian pancakes and steak sandwiches followed by a Baileys La Mumba.. We had to come home when we got too drunk to do any more shopping..

Old 09-12-2004, 18:16   #14
I am Band

Talking Re: christmas!!!!!!!!!

Oi, speak for yourself! You're on your own if you believe we consumed enough alcohol to achieve "festerin' mess" status. I had to plead with you to sneak a pint in, before catching the bus home.

Obviously you were drunk, Lettie. You neglected the stoopwaffles from Holland, and what about the Belgian wheat beer in Weatherspoon's?

Continental Markets? Love 'em.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!

Last edited by Sparkologist; 09-12-2004 at 18:20. Reason: The truth needed telling!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 20:08   #15
Accy Goddess

I started christmas shopping in January.
Still a Nightmare.
Got Christmas music on the C.D.
Don't feel very festive.
Can't wait for it to get here but hate the run up to it.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..