Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2011, 14:06   #16
God Member

Re: Christmas past...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
My two strongest memories of Christmas are not pleasant ones.
I dislike Christmas, but I hate New Year. I always think that fate has something nasty in the wings waiting to leg me up....and they change the old year for a new one just as the old one stops pinching(like a new pair of shoes).
I never wait up to see the New Year in.......and New years day is just another day to me.
Where is March...bring it on, and be quick about it.
I have had loads of nice Xmases and can say the same for NY Eve too - one really memorable one in Edinburgh and loads of others with different friends through the years.
The Millenium was spectacular too - was on a farm in a tiny village near Turin -the Alps ark all around the area and the fireworks across the mountains were incredible. We had deep snow, a beautiful tree in the garden all lit up and a great party of colleagues, family and friends...plenty of mulled wine and Champagne and the kids with fireworks and sparklers were having the time of their lives...what a lot of hope was invested in the NY Eve - hasn't turned out to be the century everyone was hoping for so far though...

Over the last 5 years I've always seen in NY alone and it's so sad -my husband always covers for one of the men to stay off and is up milking at 2-30 am. I watch the TV and ring up family and friends as the NY comes in where they are...would love to go back to the partying days!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-12-2011, 14:45   #17
Resting In Peace

My dad's birthday was New Year's Eve so we always had a party when I lived at home, and I got used to celebrating. Lately we have stayed at home as not been invited to any parties nor found a decent pub to frequent. Still like the idea of celebrating it though. One year I'll do the party myself when the house refurb is done and it's fit to be seen.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 15:10   #18
Beacon of light

For many of my married years I was working at Christmas...so Christmas was often postponed. Sometimes I was working New year as well.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 15:12   #19
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
One year I'll do the party myself when the house refurb is done and it's fit to be seen.
Don't bother about the state of the house, why spend a fortune doing it up only for it to be ruined by a bloody good party?

Have the party now, then, if you've done it right you'll have an empty shell to apply you're own thought's to.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 15:43   #20
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Don't bother about the state of the house, why spend a fortune doing it up only for it to be ruined by a bloody good party?

Have the party now, then, if you've done it right you'll have an empty shell to apply you're own thought's to.
Wise words Less, maybe the house is just an excuse...

But... we've already spent over 20K on damp, electrics, drains, plumbing, things you can't see... it was a wreck. Would like to make it look a bit more salubrious now.
Old 16-12-2011, 16:09   #21

Quote:

Wise words Less, maybe the house is just an excuse...

But... we've already spent over 20K on damp, electrics, drains, plumbing, things you can't see... it was a wreck. Would like to make it look a bit more salubrious now.
Oh, what a shame, investing in property when you could be out on the razz every night.

Take a look at the old folk, money spent on accomodation, their neighbour rents, both end up ga, ga, end their days in nappies, but which one had the better hangovers?
Old 16-12-2011, 16:28   #22
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Oh, what a shame, investing in property when you could be out on the razz every night.

Take a look at the old folk, money spent on accomodation, their neighbour rents, both end up ga, ga, end their days in nappies, but which one had the better hangovers?
We've done well out of property moving four times gradually south to north and we've had some pretty good hangovers in our time.
Old 16-12-2011, 16:44   #23

Quote:
We've done well out of property moving four times gradually south to north and we've had some pretty good hangovers in our time.
Well, good luck, been there, done that, left a hellova stain on the Tshirt.

Please, enjoy, nothing is meant as a criticism.
Old 16-12-2011, 16:49   #24
Resting In Peace

Quote:

Quote:
Well, good luck, been there, done that, left a hellova stain on the Tshirt.

Please, enjoy, nothing is meant as a criticism.
I didn't take it as a criticism, I think you may very well be right in general the way things are going.
Old 16-12-2011, 17:24   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Ah but used to be one, its just the fact he was on benefits 11 months a year,so the Torys did away wi him.
If it rains on washday you blame the Tories
Old 16-12-2011, 17:39   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
Ah but used to be one, its just the fact he was on benefits 11 months a year,so the Torys did away wi him.
We'll have less o' that thank you. He'll be calling you a troll and a divvy next.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 17:57   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
We'll have less o' that thank you. He'll be calling you a troll and a divvy next.
No thats only reserved for you
Old 16-12-2011, 20:13   #28
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I don't think I've had a bad Christmas, especially not as a child. I love going to see the nephews and nieces on Christmas day (if I'm not working), and playing with all their new stuff. Yes, I'm nearly 44 and I still play..

The strangest Christmas was last year. Me and Sparks went to the Ashes.As we had Boxing Day Test Match tickets, we spent Christmas in Melbourne. On Christmas Day we got up with the obligatory hangovers. We were staying in a motel type place so we had a bowl of cereal and I went to the laundry and did some washing.
We went for a walk, the day was cloudy but fairly warm, the trams were all running and all the public transport was free on Christmas Day. We hit St Kilda beach in the afternoon with a bottle of wine and some nibbles. There were thousands of people on the beach having barbies, some had even taken tables and chairs and full turkey dinners down there. It really was all very sociable but......... I missed my family, when I rang the kids up, they were so excited telling me all about their new toys and asking when we were coming home. I actually felt quite sad but soon got over it when England paggered Australia on Boxing Day
We came home mid January and I have been playing ever since.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 20:28   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post

The strangest Christmas was last year. we had Boxing Day Test Match tickets, we spent Christmas in Melbourne.
Don't think I could get used to having Xmas in summer -I know when I ring up my sister in NZ at Xmas they are having an all day bar-b-q - would seem too strange...they still have a tree and decorations etc. but I think it must be weird.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 20:32   #30
Beacon of light

The Oz Christmas is a strange affair.........forty degrees in the shade and there you are eating hot turkey and stuffing...with Christmas pud for afters.........and the perspiration pooling like lakes in all your crevices.

I have done this a few times, but always with family out there to make it special, so I was never homesick.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..