Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-12-2011, 14:52   #1
God Member

Christmas past...

While trying to get in the mood for Xmas this year I've been thinking back to other Christmas times - looking at particularly nice ones and trying to work out what were the magic ingredients.

If you could go back and re-live one particular Xmas in your life which would it be and why?

Mine would be Xmas 1974 when I was 11 years old. We went round to my maternal Grand-mother's for the day. There was a full turkey lunch which started at one and went on for ages, crackers were pulled and the Queen's speech watched -pretty much the same as in many house-holds up and down the country. We had Nanny's famous sherry trifle and played Bingo. Ate chocs and dates and nuts.

As well as me, sister Denise, mum & dad and Grand-parents, there were also quite a few of my great-aunts and uncles too.

I had received a telescope and Patrick Moore book for Xmas (educational stuff for me always) and my sister one of those large dolls heads with make-up and accessories to do it's hair. She spent most of the afternoon doing that and then finally i got Nanny's musical jewelery box out and made Denise up with her play make-up and covered her in jewels -there was a lovely photo of her but it got thrown out.

Both the living-room and front parlour had fires lit and there was a great atmosphere -even if it probably doesn't sound that exciting....

I've worked out that it's the people who were that made it a special time.

Time to start thinking who I can invite this year!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-12-2011, 14:56   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Christmas past...

Its pretty easy to work out the magic ingredient Di, its kids.
Old 15-12-2011, 15:05   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Will I have to wait till I'm a Granny then to have a really good Xmas?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 15-12-2011, 15:36   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Groove agrees with Mr.Cashman on this subject. But for the kids xmas is a tiresome time of year, with pubs full of Sunday drivers etc.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 16:56   #5
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Will I have to wait till I'm a Granny then to have a really good Xmas?
No, go to any primary school and watch their faces........Christmas is for children...adults are just bystanders....and cash providers.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 21:23   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No, go to any primary school and watch their faces........Christmas is for children...adults are just bystanders....and cash providers.
How sad - this is confirmation that I'm just a big kid....

It's what I suspected all along...

That's why I buy the chocolate Father Xmases to put on the tree and the sugar candy stripey walking sticks....

James Stewart eat you heart out -that's why his guardian angel had to save him just before he chucked himself into the freezing river...

Hope mine are still awake

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 15-12-2011, 21:38   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
How sad - this is confirmation that I'm just a big kid....
nowt wrong wi being a big kid, i never grew up, n am too old to start now,you cart on.
Old 15-12-2011, 22:06   #8
God Member

Quote:
nowt wrong wi being a big kid, i never grew up, n am too old to start now,you cart on.
Will start to call you "Peter" then Cashy!

In the meantime -best wishes to you and Paris -hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Are you off to sunnier climes I wonder....

We are expecting plummeting temperatures from Monday(Can't wait!)

Good for the skiers in the Alps!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 15-12-2011, 22:15   #9
Beacon of light

Growing older is compulsory, but growing up is optional...Lettie taught me that.
I remind myself from time to time.

When my daughters two children ask me how old I am....I tell them I am 14.
They used to believe me, but I think that now they are getting wise to my ploy.
Oh and they never, ever, ever call me that G word. To them I am Margaret, always have been, always will be.
Old 15-12-2011, 22:22   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Growing older is compulsory, but growing up is optional...Lettie taught me that.
I remind myself from time to time.
Letties a damn good teacher Margaret.
Old 16-12-2011, 08:08   #11
Beacon of light

Yes Cashy, I try to remember it when my joints ache, and I want to do the splits

I'd only be showing off anyway!
Old 16-12-2011, 08:53   #12
Resting in Peace

Christmas is defo for kids and Christmas Cards, I always preferred new year, after I found out there was no Father Christmas
Old 16-12-2011, 10:57   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Christmas is defo for kids and Christmas Cards, I always preferred new year, after I found out there was no Father Christmas
What on earth do you mean -no Father Christmas -so who brings all the pressies and does the magic?!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 16-12-2011, 11:27   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ah but used to be one, its just the fact he was on benefits 11 months a year,so the Torys did away wi him.
Old 16-12-2011, 13:51   #15
Beacon of light

My two strongest memories of Christmas are not pleasant ones.
I dislike Christmas, but I hate New Year. I always think that fate has something nasty in the wings waiting to leg me up....and they change the old year for a new one just as the old one stops pinching(like a new pair of shoes).
I never wait up to see the New Year in.......and New years day is just another day to me.
Where is March...bring it on, and be quick about it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..