Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2011, 22:54   #136
Senior Member+

Re: Christmas Shopping Fireworks

this "suggests" that we should sit back and do nothing,

'if the government,the police n magistrates don't do a proper job, its unreasonable to me to expect people to do so'

i merely asked you if that is what you meant

shhould we sit back and do nothing and let hbc and the alcies and druggies walk all over this town or do we take the 'donkey by the ass' and reclaim what belongs to our fellow residents
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-11-2011, 22:57   #137
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
this "suggests" that we should sit back and do nothing,

'if the government,the police n magistrates don't do a proper job, its unreasonable to me to expect people to do so'

i merely asked you if that is what you meant

shhould we sit back and do nothing and let hbc and the alcies and druggies walk all over this town or do we take the 'donkey by the ass' and reclaim what belongs to our fellow residents
i answered that, then pointed out its obvious why folk may not do so, you don't like that fact, that aint my problem.
Old 23-11-2011, 23:06   #138
Senior Member+

change is never easy and some may say my views lean somewhat on a revolutionary bias but i truly believe that this town has great potential and that it should be harnessed for the benefit of it's residents and if hbc and the idiots that be won't do it then it's down to the people to make it happen. the greatest changes in this country have always been led by it's people and the power that lies within us. 'the times they are a'changin' and its people power that will drive it forward!
Old 23-11-2011, 23:19   #139
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
change is never easy and some may say my views lean somewhat on a revolutionary bias but i truly believe that this town has great potential and that it should be harnessed for the benefit of it's residents and if hbc and the idiots that be won't do it then it's down to the people to make it happen. the greatest changes in this country have always been led by it's people and the power that lies within us. 'the times they are a'changin' and its people power that will drive it forward!
nowt wrong wi revolutionary views, n admire yer standpoint, i had very strong views way back n did me fair share, but thats a younger persons thing, there weren't that many revolutionary owd farts back then n there won't be now is my view, cos 40 yrs on most changes weren't fer the better.
Old 23-11-2011, 23:25   #140
Senior Member+

oh i believe i can find a few revolting old farts
Old 24-11-2011, 07:24   #141
Give, give, give member

Quote:
no i simply speak my mind and i'm not afraid to do so i also take what people say at face value.

and i also stand up for what i believe is right if however i am proved to be wrong i will hold my hand up and admit it.

anyway back to the christmas market idea,

how much would it cost to commission the manufacture some chalets and would it not be presumptious to say that this cost would be recouped in the rental of these said chalets to the traders.

you have a year to research and organise this event so instead of saying it can't be done, use your noggin and prove to hbc it CAN
You keep mentioning 'chalets', but what the baby Jesus have Alpine wooden huts got to do with Accy?

If Accrington's too small to attract a commercial German Christmas market, who travel and transport their own stalls, and you suggest local charities sell (non-Germanic) things they've made, why are you so focused on Heidi style Wendy houses?

I think people are saying they'd appreciate a traditionally English celebration, hog roasts, mulled wine, mummers, roast chestnuts, carol singers, etc.

No one, when thinking about an olde worlde Englsh yuletide, first thinks 'Alpine chalet'.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 09:05   #142
Resting in Peace

Was watching an item on the news the other day about a German Market, can't remember where it was now, but I do know that the local traders were less than happy because some of their businesses had declined by 50%, the bottom line is people have only x number of pounds to send, if fancy markets were introduced it means that the pies no bigger just that more people want a slice.

Just as an afterthought, no input what so-ever from any of our elected members, funny that really
Old 24-11-2011, 09:48   #143
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Was watching an item on the news the other day about a German Market, can't remember where it was now, but I do know that the local traders were less than happy because some of their businesses had declined by 50%, the bottom line is people have only x number of pounds to send, if fancy markets were introduced it means that the pies no bigger just that more people want a slice.

Just as an afterthought, no input what so-ever from any of our elected members, funny that really
It was the German Christmas market in Birmingham, which featured on the BBC news programmes.

All the local traders, the ones who pay their business rates all year round, agreed it increased footfall to the city centre, but they stated that in fact their takings were down, whilst the market was on.

There's only so much money to go round, no matter how many people there are flogging their goods.

Local traders in towns/cities which had German markets, waved off what would have ended in their tills, as the Teutonic juggernauts, complete with their chalets, headed off back to Baden-Baden, or wherever it was they came from.

Old 24-11-2011, 10:03   #144
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It was the German Christmas market in Birmingham, which featured on the BBC news programmes.

All the local traders, the ones who pay their business rates all year round, agreed it increased footfall to the city centre, but they stated that in fact their takings were down, whilst the market was on.

There's only so much money to go round, no matter how many people there are flogging their goods.

Local traders in towns/cities which had German markets, waved off what would have ended in their tills, as the Teutonic juggernauts, complete with their chalets, headed off back to Baden-Baden, or wherever it was they came from.
Well whereas it might be great for the Public to have the choice of a different type of market it shouldn't be at the expense of the trades already established in the area, of course the council spokesman waved the concerns away (its not near an election) saying it was great for the area, well not if your trying to make a living it ain't
Old 24-11-2011, 10:12   #145
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well whereas it might be great for the Public to have the choice of a different type of market it shouldn't be at the expense of the trades already established in the area, of course the council spokesman waved the concerns away (its not near an election) saying it was great for the area, well not if your trying to make a living it ain't
As Lancsdave said, their business opened the night the Christmas lights were switched on, and they took a tenner.

That's takings, not profit.

Lucky if they didn't make a loss, after paying overheads involved in actually opening up, lighting, heating, etc.

Many we have running our borough have a very poor grasp of the reality of operating a successful business.

Most would struggle to organise an erection in a brothel.

Old 24-11-2011, 10:23   #146
Senior Member+

the chalets were a single idea, the main point is a traditional christmas market, in whatever form it takes. an accrington christmas festival to be proud of.
Old 24-11-2011, 10:32   #147
Give, give, give member

Quote:
the chalets were a single idea
That's good Heidi.

You seemed quite fixated on Alpine chalets, when you were posting last night.

Old 24-11-2011, 11:30   #148
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That's good Heidi.

You seemed quite fixated on Alpine chalets, when you were posting last night.

ok. collapsable,reusable generic stalls of no particular material, race,age,size,physical or mental ability or denomination then
Old 24-11-2011, 11:33   #149
Beacon of light

There is no reason why the current Market stalls could not be used for such a venture......at a nominal cost seeing as money would be saved by not having fireworks.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 11:52   #150
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
There is no reason why the current Market stalls could not be used for such a venture......at a nominal cost seeing as money would be saved by not having fireworks.
That is so obvous Margaret - at least they would be in keeping with a Victorian theme.

We had a similar thing when I lived in Warwick a few years ago. Stalls selling hot soup, mince pies, mulled wine, run by various charities, and a Victorian theme with a small fairground. The shops were open, even the estate agents!

Last edited by susie123; 24-11-2011 at 11:56. Reason: added text
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..