Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-11-2011, 14:12   #16
Resting In Peace

Re: Christmas Shopping Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I don't like them either.......the animals hate them. This year before bonfire night wasn't too bad, but in previous years there had been sporadic 'setting off' of fireworks for weeks before bonfire night......it makes it hard to safeguard the wellbeing of the animals.
I also don't like them because I worked for a spell on childrens ward at and around the time of Bonfire night.........it is a long time ago and the regulations were far more lax then, and there were fewer organised displays.......more backyard bonfires....the number of children who came to us with burns from fireworks was to be seen to be believed.......the screams when these children were having their burns dressed would chill your soul.

I think it is a great waste of money.........I hate seeing money go up in smoke.
Echo my thoughts exactly Margaret... Even this year our new neighbours next door were setting them off in the back yard right below my bedroom window - didn't think to tell us what they were going to do - and the chap in one of the other flats (next door is divided into 3 flats) has 3 cats - bet they were terrified. I think people were setting them off on the beach as well - lots of noise coming from that direction.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-11-2011, 18:03   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Because we are all so americanised we have lost all contact with our native traditions.
I trust that by "americanised" you are talking our noisy neighbours

In Kingston we have a fireworks display once a year, on July 1, Canada Day A few folks let them off in their back yards; but there isn't much of it. Strange to say, it doesn't bother my animals. Hope, Emma, and Pookie slept through it this year. Angus and Babette sat in the window looking mildly interested.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 18:54   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Plays on Accyweb of course. Probably just as sad!
Thats probably where we differ susie, when I'm on Accy Web its the most serious part of my day
Old 21-11-2011, 18:57   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Not sad Susie -it can be a laugh a minute!

I'm afraid i'm one of those who goes Ohhhh! and Ahhhh! every time she sees fireworks
I know a girl like that mobertol, but it ain't fireworks that makes her go Ohhhhh and Ahhhhhh
Old 21-11-2011, 19:01   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I know a girl like that mobertol, but it ain't fireworks that makes her go Ohhhhh and Ahhhhhh
John i think you need to have a cold shower all this talk of ohhin and ahhin and black underwear will be getting you overexcited
Old 21-11-2011, 19:29   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
John i think you need to have a cold shower all this talk of ohhin and ahhin and black underwear will be getting you overexcited
Chance would be a fine thing Dave
Old 22-11-2011, 12:24   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Chance would be a fine thing Dave
Try Googling Ohhhh and ahhhh John -i just did Quite a revelation!

I really should have better things to do....

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 16:02   #23
God Member

Now, this is what I call a firework...

Old 22-11-2011, 16:06   #24
God Member

This aint bad either, the ohhhs and ahhhhs are all in japanese - sorry,

Old 22-11-2011, 16:15   #25
God Member

Why do the japanese do these things so much better than we seem to be able to manage...

Old 22-11-2011, 16:29   #26
God Member

Last one - this is breathtaking!

Old 22-11-2011, 16:32   #27
God Member

The Japanese have made the whole world glow (Fukushima)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 16:35   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well mine never seemed to look owt like that.
Old 22-11-2011, 17:04   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Why do the japanese do these things so much better than we seem to be able to manage...
"There is great pride in having the biggest and best display to be seen from one village to the next...typical male thing (re:mine is bigger than yours and therefore better!) a sort of ostentation of strength if you like." (My earlier post)

How does this tie in with your comment Acrylic-well you know what they say about Oriental men -must have somthing to do with a certain kind of envy....

Spectacular fireworks though...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 17:38   #30
God Member

Errm, actually, what they say about oriental men is, in my experience, pretty wide of the mark.

However I do not propose to be drawn any further down that particular path.

Did anyone see BBC Breakfast this morning? There was an item in which local traders were complaining about the German Christmas Market which has been running in Birmingham, in the city centre for some years. Apparently it brings in about £90 Million every year and it is visited by tens of thousands of people. How? Simple. It is the biggest outside Germany.

And I compared this to Accrington Town centre at Christmas. A few Rockets and a couple of strings of coloured bulbs. And I thought, is it any wonder the town centre is going down the crapper. The shops are selling the same stuff they sell all year long. The shopkeepers are, for the most part, surly, unhelpful and slovenly. Their premises, and the decoration of them, leave such a lot to be desired.

The Council, when it comes to the Markets and the town Centre are, if this can be imagined, even more clueless. They would much rather throw the limited budget they are granted each year away on mind numbing drivel such as this...

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa..._Framework.pdf

They have no understanding or appreciation of Art and the uses to which it can be put - They employ Gayle as their ARTS CZAR, enough said.

As it stands at the moment the Town Centre looks more like some industrial backwater in communist controlled eastern Europe.

It needs smartening up. It needs to be made user friendly. I would strongly advocate free Prozac for market traders (compulsory). It needs good and broadly circulated advertising. It needs events. Specatacular Events. All year round. The whole town needs this.

And it also needs most of the Progress Towards Equality Framework, PC, Inclusive, diversity babble dragging to the nearest tip and dumping.

Oh dear, I seem to be on a rant. Sorry!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..