Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2011, 18:20   #31
God Member

Re: Christmas Shopping Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
The shopkeepers are, for the most part, surly, unhelpful and slovenly.

yaaaaaaaayy, recognition for our customer service at last
Old 22-11-2011, 18:53   #32
God Member

And this, young t-shirt person, is what I mean... everything in town is so half-hearted and apathetic. People cannot even be rude properly. You wouldn't mind so much if the service was Spectacularly awful. Or if the shop assistants were routinely, viciously sarcastic. At least it would be something to remember. But for the most part, shopping in Accrington is just so much time that passes in a grey, uniform, depressing blurr. Everything is just the same as everywhere else, there is nothing original or unique. Take the Market Hall, The only reason that is still standing when most of the others are long gone is because Accrington couldn't make it's mind up what it wanted to do with it and neither did HBC and both of them prevaricated and prognosticated until, hey presto! it is a Victorian Architectural Gem. So what do the council do with it? Of course, they try to turn it into a pale imitation of Blackburn shopping centre, on the merest fraction of the budget and with absolutely and utterly none of the imagination. And then stand back and wonder why it is a failure.
Old 22-11-2011, 18:53   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Try Googling Ohhhh and ahhhh John -i just did Quite a revelation!

I really should have better things to do....
Ya mobertol the devil finds work for idle hands

Last edited by jaysay; 22-11-2011 at 18:57.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 20:29   #34
God Member

Quote:
And this, young t-shirt person, is what I mean... everything in town is so half-hearted and apathetic. People cannot even be rude properly. You wouldn't mind so much if the service was Spectacularly awful. Or if the shop assistants were routinely, viciously sarcastic. At least it would be something to remember. But for the most part, shopping in Accrington is just so much time that passes in a grey, uniform, depressing blurr. Everything is just the same as everywhere else, there is nothing original or unique. Take the Market Hall, The only reason that is still standing when most of the others are long gone is because Accrington couldn't make it's mind up what it wanted to do with it and neither did HBC and both of them prevaricated and prognosticated until, hey presto! it is a Victorian Architectural Gem. So what do the council do with it? Of course, they try to turn it into a pale imitation of Blackburn shopping centre, on the merest fraction of the budget and with absolutely and utterly none of the imagination. And then stand back and wonder why it is a failure.
Oh dear, Acrylic - I actually quite like the rennovation of the Market Hall and find it quite sympathetic. It is swamped by what surrounds it and cannot be appreciated for the fantastic building it is. They should never have knocked down the 1960's outside market which was functional and pleasing for that period's attempts at architecture... to replace it with yet more awful modern shoddy buildings to house yet more cheap shops...

Will admit to not visiting B'burn town center for aeons so cannot comment on the imitation remark. Sometimes it's not money that counts but people with inspiring ideas -you are an artist so get pro-active, too easy to snipe from the side-lines.. I can see great potential but it needs ideas and a change in direction to something more up-market (not a pun) there is good space to be used upstairs in the market hall -get in young artists/artisans - time for a new direction? Gourmet foods, delicatessens, proper grocers etc. Think Oxford indoor market, Penrith farmer's market and others -maybe the various "Dads" of HBC should go on a day-trip to see how it works!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 20:34   #35
God Member

Acrylic: Just looked at your link on previous post - time to stop political posturing and think about the local good and it's economy...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 22-11-2011, 20:51   #36
Resting In Peace

Can't comment on the market hall as I haven't seen it since it was finished inside. But I do think the 60s outside market should have been saved. See my post 113 on the my early life in Accy thread.

Funny I was thinking about the Oxford market only yesterday and thinking how good it was.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 20:51   #37
Senior Member+

personally i think he raises some relevant points, the town does need a life boost and why not something new and unique. or maybe not so new. the space could be used to encourage local arts and crafts. and maybe they should be encouraging traditional market fayre back into the town it would certainly be unique to the area to have a traditional market with traditional market goods and wares return to a historic market town!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 20:55   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
personally i think he raises some relevant points, the town does need a life boost and why not something new and unique. or maybe not so new. the space could be used to encourage local arts and crafts. and maybe they should be encouraging traditional market fayre back into the town it would certainly be unique to the area to have a traditional market with traditional market goods and wares return to a historic market town!
Exactly that's what I meant....

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 22-11-2011, 21:15   #39
God Member

Quote:
And this, young t-shirt person,
A slagging off then a bit of flattery in the space of a couple of posts
Old 22-11-2011, 21:19   #40
Beacon of light

The market hall is a wonderful building....but it has had the heart ripped out of it.

It has no atmosphere. None of the hustle and bustle of days gone by. None of the anticipation of the lovely stalls selling the kind of stuff that we all bought...instead this has been replaced by a sterile, lacklustre area...that truly doesn't know what it is supposed to be.
Is it a centre for trade, or is it a place where performing arts happen...or is it place where exhibitions can be held???
I don't like it much now. No character despite its heritage and its grandeur. It is sort of like tinsel that has been left up too long after Christmas.
Maybe the place should have been bulldozed........at least it would have given space for the new bus station that is being clamoured for.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 21:21   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya mobertol the devil finds work for idle hands
My hands are never idle John -it's my mind which needs nutrition...!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 22-11-2011, 21:24   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The market hall is a wonderful building....but it has had the heart ripped out of it.

It has no atmosphere. None of the hustle and bustle of days gone by. None of the anticipation of the lovely stalls selling the kind of stuff that we all bought...instead this has been replaced by a sterile, lacklustre area...that truly doesn't know what it is supposed to be.
Is it a centre for trade, or is it a place where performing arts happen...or is it place where exhibitions can be held???
I don't like it much now. No character despite its heritage and its grandeur. It is sort of like tinsel that has been left up too long after Christmas.
Maybe the place should have been bulldozed........at least it would have given space for the new bus station that is being clamoured for.
Take a look at this Margaret for an idea of what i mean....it's empty of folk for the filming , but I can assure you it is the hub of the city and a hive of activity....

Panoramic photograph of Indoor Market, Oxford

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 22-11-2011, 21:31   #43
Beacon of light

I know exactly what you mean. The Market in Bury is a prime example....it is packed. Even though they say there is no money about, the place is bumping and the cafes are full of people enjoying food.......the range of fresh food is fabulous too.
Leeds Market hall is another fine place with far more atmosphere. Bolton has a great Market hall too
Accrington Market Hall is pathetic.
Yes, the building is a fine structure, but the structure isn't worth much if it doesn't perform to its intended purpose....and primarily that is to trade.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 22-11-2011 at 21:34.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 21:33   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Take a look at this Margaret for an idea of what i mean....it's empty of folk for the filming , but I can assure you it is the hub of the city and a hive of activity....

Panoramic photograph of Indoor Market, Oxford

I used to love oxford market when i lived there. loved the tea and coffee shop, it still had the old drawers where your tea and coffee were served from. and traditional butchers AND GAME MERCHANTS! a lovely (although sometimes expensive) treasure trove of a place to shop!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 21:34   #45
God Member

I don't understand why .....remember it always being packed as a girl. What has changed i wonder -are all the Accringtonians going away down the valley or to other more scenic venues? i know my aunt and uncle prefer Clitheroe for the market, shops and gallery....

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..