Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2011, 20:22   #106
Senior Member+

Re: Christmas Shopping Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Well, I'm looking into a flight for the 1st Victorian Christmas Fayre in Accrington next year -keep me informed as to the date and events...

seems obvious to me that this is what the people of accrington would like to see happen - so it probably won't
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-11-2011, 20:24   #107
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
wrong. the problem is that there is less disposable income going around with job cuts and higher cost of living which is why we have to drag people in from outside and i'm sure residents and businesses alike would prefer tax money to be spent on this than the other 'worthwhile' causes that you mention
Stand on Peel St on a Saturday morning and see if there is less disposable income around. The X41 bus is probably Transdevs most profitable service with the mass exodus transport it provides.
Old 23-11-2011, 20:27   #108
Senior Member+

Quote:
i believe i've already raised that point and have been informed that it is in discussion
Sounds about right for our lot at hbc
Old 23-11-2011, 20:29   #109
Beacon of light

Yes and a lot of those on that bus pay nothing to go there....and once in Manchester will mooch around the Arndale where it is warm, well lit and vibrant and spend very little.......they will window shop but buy? not so much.
The younger ones who used to be on this bus would head for the church of Primark, but now there is one in Blackburn,they don't have to go so far to get their fix.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 20:43   #110
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Stand on Peel St on a Saturday morning and see if there is less disposable income around. The X41 bus is probably Transdevs most profitable service with the mass exodus transport it provides.

which brings us right back to what i said before:

shops and market stalls will only open and stay open if the people support them and spend their money in them. it's no good doing your weekly shop in tescos and then wondering why we haven't got any local butchers/greengrocers!

and

making our town more attractive than theirs, by making it unique and by offering what they can't get in their own town(s).
Old 23-11-2011, 20:47   #111
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Just a thing about Christmas markets, most major Towns & Cities here have them that run for near on a month, but even little villages will have their own "Weihnachts Markt" over a week-end & it's mainly local traders & organisations that run the stalls & despite the big Markts not more than 15 minutes away they manage to hold their own as it's very community orientated.

To borrow a phrase from the league of gentlemen "It's a local Markt for local people".
Old 23-11-2011, 20:47   #112
Give, give, give member

Quote:
whats wrong with the sally army band or a local school choir hmmm....... there's another idea an inter school choir competition with the celebrity status that will be performing live at the xmas festival............. i'm off to ring simon cowell about the tv rights
I'm afraid someone already holds the cpoyright, on that very radical concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Christmas is a Christian festival. The clue's in the name.

What's wrong with listening to the best school choirs in the borough, belt out some traditional carols, or the Sally Army strike up the brass band?

Are things that don't cost anything disregarded as not being good?

What the Silent Night has some third rate dance act got to do with Christmas?
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...s-59763-3.html

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 20:52   #113
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes and a lot of those on that bus pay nothing to go there....and once in Manchester will mooch around the Arndale where it is warm, well lit and vibrant and spend very little.......they will window shop but buy? not so much.
The younger ones who used to be on this bus would head for the church of Primark, but now there is one in Blackburn,they don't have to go so far to get their fix.
I'd love to go, and see the wondrous sights with my own eyes.

I'm told in Manchester they've paved the streets in gold, and the extravagant cty burghers have provided places where people may sit, and rest, free of any charge!

Oh just imagine.

Old 23-11-2011, 20:58   #114
Senior Member+

Quote:
I'm afraid someone already holds the cpoyright, on that very radical concept.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...s-59763-3.html

damn beaten to the post again
Old 23-11-2011, 21:02   #115
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Well Leon yeh never touched on me question about this increased budget yeh said yer gonna ask for next year, i will repeat- is it likely to lead to n increase in Council Tax? seems funny to me,how yeh missed that.
Old 23-11-2011, 21:02   #116
Senior Member+

Quote:
I'd love to go, and see the wondrous sights with my own eyes.

I'm told in Manchester they've paved the streets in gold, and the extravagant cty burghers have provided places where people may sit, and rest, free of any charge!

Oh just imagine.

also a lot of the stalls are local craftmakers and artists, also some charities. I was very impressed with a stall held by a local community organisation for young people with mental health problems and disabilities who were selling artworks created by the service users. there was some cracking stuff on sale
Old 23-11-2011, 21:07   #117
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well Leon yeh never touched on me question about this increased budget yeh said yer gonna ask for next year, i will repeat- is it likely to lead to n increase in Council Tax? seems funny to me,how yeh missed that.
Leon lives in Blackburn.

Perhaps he ain't too bothered if Hyndburn resident's council taxes go up next year, as it's reported they will be doing.

Old 23-11-2011, 21:07   #118
God Member

Quote:
which brings us right back to what i said before:

shops and market stalls will only open and stay open if the people support them and spend their money in them. it's no good doing your weekly shop in tescos and then wondering why we haven't got any local butchers/greengrocers!

and

making our town more attractive than theirs, by making it unique and by offering what they can't get in their own town(s).

We will have to agree to disagree, maybe I don't spend enough time in the town centre to notice
Old 23-11-2011, 21:12   #119
Give, give, give member

Old 23-11-2011, 21:14   #120
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
We will have to agree to disagree, maybe I don't spend enough time in the town centre to notice

i believe we will as although i do not have the actual statistics to hand i think it would be a pretty sure bet that the MAJORITY of accrington's residents aren't

'residents who spend their money on alchohol and get too much support for the stuff they shove up their noses or inject in to their blood stream.'

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..