Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2011, 21:23   #121
God Member

Re: Christmas Shopping Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
i believe we will as although i do not have the actual statistics to hand i think it would be a pretty sure bet that the MAJORITY of accrington's residents aren't

'residents who spend their money on alchohol and get too much support for the stuff they shove up their noses or inject in to their blood stream.'
I'm sure you're right but nobody mentioned the majority do that
Old 23-11-2011, 21:25   #122
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I'm sure you're right but nobody mentioned the majority do that

so you base your business's success or failure on a minority of the population then?

doesn't seem good business sense to me
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 21:27   #123
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
so you base your business's success or failure on a minority of the population then?

Think yer losing the plot on this un jedi.
Old 23-11-2011, 21:30   #124
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Think yer losing the plot on this un jedi.

don't think so cashy. i quote 'The problem with having a retail business in Accrington is that the town is becoming a magnet for residents who spend their money on alchohol and get too much support for the stuff they shove up their noses or inject in to their blood stream.

One of the main solutions to the problem doesn't lie with the retailers, it lies with the landlords who rent out houses on an ever increasing basis to people who do the town and it's prosperity severe damage'
Old 23-11-2011, 21:39   #125
Give, give, give member

Quote:
...the landlords who rent out houses on an ever increasing basis to people who do the town and it's prosperity severe damage'
Perhaps there was no room at the inn.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 21:44   #126
God Member

Quote:

It wouldn't make good sense to me, but I don't. Doesn't mean you don't take notice of what happens around you though.
Old 23-11-2011, 22:01   #127
Senior Member+

Quote:
It wouldn't make good sense to me, but I don't. Doesn't mean you don't take notice of what happens around you though.

not sure what your argument is then

you blame the decline of business and trade on the fact that there are too many of accrington's poulation are either alcoholics and drug addicts rayher than a mixture of a decline in employment and the current economic climate resulting in a decline in the amount of each household's disposable income and the fact that people are using supermarkets and large chain businesses as opposed to their local small retailer, yet you don't base your own business's profitability on the same principle.

this is very confusing.
Old 23-11-2011, 22:12   #128
God Member

Quote:
not sure what your argument is then

you blame the decline of business and trade on the fact that there are too many of accrington's poulation are either alcoholics and drug addicts rayher than a mixture of a decline in employment and the current economic climate resulting in a decline in the amount of each household's disposable income and the fact that people are using supermarkets and large chain businesses as opposed to their local small retailer, yet you don't base your own business's profitability on the same principle.

this is very confusing.

Having read back I wrote
Quote:
The problem with having a retail business in Accrington i
I should have said ONE of the problems. I will repeat that I didn't say too many of Accringtons population are alcoholics or drug addicts, I said it's an increasing number. I'll clarify that by saying it's becoming more noticeable in the town centre before you ask me for the facts

I'm merely stating one of the reasons people don't feel comfortable shopping in the town centre. If I'm wrong then the benches would still be outside the Market Hall would they not ? After all they moved them because of the problems with drunks
Old 23-11-2011, 22:21   #129
Senior Member+

Quote:
Having read back I wrote

I should have said ONE of the problems. I will repeat that I didn't say too many of Accringtons population are alcoholics or drug addicts, I said it's an increasing number. I'll clarify that by saying it's becoming more noticeable in the town centre before you ask me for the facts

I'm merely stating one of the reasons people don't feel comfortable shopping in the town centre. If I'm wrong then the benches would still be outside the Market Hall would they not ? After all they moved them because of the problems with drunks

in fairness that does make more sense, i wasn't having a personal dig at you but the way it was worded implied that was what you meant. i agree that the presence of that element is offputting to some residents ie. elderly and vulnerable people and is an issue that needs to be addressed properly. but it should not stop us from striving to bring traditional shopping back to our town, we the people of accrington should be taking back the ownership of our town and make it something to be proud of
Old 23-11-2011, 22:27   #130
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
in fairness that does make more sense, i wasn't having a personal dig at you but the way it was worded implied that was what you meant. i agree that the presence of that element is offputting to some residents ie. elderly and vulnerable people and is an issue that needs to be addressed properly. but it should not stop us from striving to bring traditional shopping back to our town, we the people of accrington should be taking back the ownership of our town and make it something to be proud of
I agree wi that,but its very hard to take back ownership of owt these days, if the government,the police n magistrates don't do a proper job, its unreasonable to me to expect people to do so, when its blatantly obvious to all yeh get no backing.
Old 23-11-2011, 22:29   #131
Senior Member+

Quote:
I agree wi that,but its very hard to take back ownership of owt these days, if the government,the police n magistrates don't do a proper job, its unreasonable to me to expect people to do so, when its blatantly obvious to all yeh get no backing.

so we should just sit back and do nothing?

that seems to be a very 'it's not my job' attitude
Old 23-11-2011, 22:32   #132
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
so we should just sit back and do nothing?

that seems to be a very 'it's not my job' attitude
No- seems owt yeh dont like, yeh imply about others, very poor to me.
Old 23-11-2011, 22:45   #133
Senior Member+

Quote:
No- seems owt yeh dont like, yeh imply about others, very poor to me.

no i simply speak my mind and i'm not afraid to do so i also take what people say at face value.

and i also stand up for what i believe is right if however i am proved to be wrong i will hold my hand up and admit it.

anyway back to the christmas market idea,

how much would it cost to commission the manufacture some chalets and would it not be presumptious to say that this cost would be recouped in the rental of these said chalets to the traders.

you have a year to research and organise this event so instead of saying it can't be done, use your noggin and prove to hbc it CAN
Old 23-11-2011, 22:46   #134
Senior Member+

and, the only implication i make is that what you post is what you mean!
Old 23-11-2011, 22:47   #135
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
and, the only implication i make is that what you post is what you mean!
Like i did wi you.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..