Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2015, 13:31   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Christmas Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Why not be positive that the council is putting up a Christmas tree?
The answer to that is simple....It is not a necessary job.....and certainly not one which requires two men to be paid at premium rates from local taxes.
Especially as the council is looking at ways to trim its budgets......and asking us for our input.
Mine would be.....pay for only essential work to be done at premium rates!
maxthecollie likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-11-2015, 13:41   #17
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
We can go around in circles with this one. Why not be positive that the council is putting up a Christmas tree?
Ooh, diversionary tactics! Well played Brigadier
Old 15-11-2015, 13:46   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Ooh, diversionary tactics! Well played Brigadier
That made me chuckle!
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 13:57   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The answer to that is simple....It is not a necessary job.....and certainly not one which requires two men to be paid at premium rates from local taxes.
Especially as the council is looking at ways to trim its budgets......and asking us for our input.
Mine would be.....pay for only essential work to be done at premium rates!
If it's not a necessary job, and if the council is looking at ways to trim its budget, then NO Christmas trees should be put up in Hyndburn, regardless of the day of the week. Well I wouldn't agree with that.
Old 15-11-2015, 14:04   #20
Beacon of light

Do You consider it a necessary job?

There are pavements in Accrington town centre which could use two men to much better ends than the placing of a Christmas tree on a November Sunday some six and a half weeks before the festivities.

While I would not subscribe to having NO Christmas trees, I certainly do not think that men should be employed at premium rates to install them.
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 15-11-2015, 14:08   #21
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
That made me chuckle!
Jolly good! A little levity in our everyday lives certainly can't be a bad thing.
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 15-11-2015, 14:13   #22
Senior Member+

Last year I asked my local councillor about fitting a cabinet outside St.Anne's school to contain a defibrulator to save lives instead of spending all that money.We have never had a Christmas Tree before so why start in 2014? The council had their own way as usual
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 14:13   #23

I am pleased that you do not subscribe to having no Christmas trees. As to whether I consider it a necessary job or not, well is it really necessary for any Christmas tree to be put up, regardless of the day of the week? It isn't, but it's nice to see, and it's only once a year.
Old 15-11-2015, 14:22   #24
Beacon of light

You are right. Christmas Trees are NOT a necessity, but do brighten up the environment.
However, in times when money is tight(like now) you have to prioritise the work being done at premium rates...which is quite plainly what is not being done.

I am not complaining or whinging...and had you not brought up the subject, would have quietly kept these thoughts to myself...but I am sure that if I am thnking them, then others are too.
Old 15-11-2015, 14:34   #25

Now I don't know if this is true or not, but someone on Hyndburn Chat has said these were not council workers, but workers who had been sub contracted to plant trees at a fixed price in the area, hence why they were working on Sunday. I emphasise I don't know if this is true or not.

Last edited by Michael1954; 15-11-2015 at 14:38.
Old 16-11-2015, 00:36   #26
God Member

iv got a tree for my house i dont need one outside

town center fair enough it helps traders and makes going into town a littl emore brighter and lets face it accy needs all the help it can get

anywhere else is a waste whoever is paying for them.

if someone wants to put one up out of private money then fair enough but public money no wether it be direct from the council or the council giving a grant theres no need for public money to be wasted on xmas trees etc outside of town center

remember times are hard , they must be the way moneys been splashed around and then they will cut something away like public toilets

merry grinchmas everybody

yes i bloody do know its only november

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 16-11-2015 at 00:38.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 12:48   #27

It may be that they considered that Sunday is the day with the least pedestrian traffic so the safest day to put it up.

Or that it was not delivered until Saturday and they had nowhere to put it.

Or that the guys putting it up were not actually council workers but from the company paid to deliver and erect the tree.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 15:56   #28
God Member

to be honest by the time christmas gets here im sick of it

morons putting xmas lights and trees up in october , november , shops flooding the shelves with xmas stock in the same period and now even the authorities are setting about xmas early

went to buy a birthday card the other day and there wasnt much choice because half the shops stock had been removed to make way for 8 sections of shelving dedicated to xmas cards

i wish shops would click on that people will buy what they need for xmas regardless of when they put their stock out

roll on december the 31st when they put easter eggs on the shelves

no sooner have the shops finished emptying our pockets to celebrate jesus's birth they are shoving stuff in our faces to remember his death

if anything street outlets drive me to shop online at least shopping online i dont get battered with unwarranted guff and annoying xmas music in november

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 17:01   #29
Beacon of light

Accyman, I could not agree more.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..