Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2015, 10:16   #1
Senior Member+

Christmas Tree

Can anyone explain to me how Hyndburn Council, who say they have no money ,pay two men to put up Christmas Trees on a Sunday?

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpg
Accyexplorer likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-11-2015, 10:49   #2
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Christmas Tree

Promised them some free mincey pies & a wee nip or 3 of Sherry for their troubles ......... or possibly a large chunk of ovies for working Sunday?
Old 15-11-2015, 11:25   #3
Beacon of light

I think the latter option is most plausible......think mince pies and sherry would come low on the list of priorities for the fellas
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 11:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Can anyone explain to me how Hyndburn Council, who say they have no money ,pay two men to put up Christmas Trees on a Sunday?

Attachment 51585Attachment 51586
The same words were used by Frank Griggs on Hyndburn Chat an hour ago. Same photograph too. Why whinge once when you can whinge twice, eh?

Last edited by Michael1954; 15-11-2015 at 11:34.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 11:47   #5
Beacon of light

Well, I would never see them on Hyndburn Chat as it is part of Facebook.....I don't do Facebook and I daresay there are others who don't either.
Michael what was the point of your post?
Gremlin likes this.
Old 15-11-2015, 11:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well, I would never see them on Hyndburn Chat as it is part of Facebook.....I don't do Facebook and I daresay there are others who don't either.
Michael what was the point of your post?
The point was as written. Also, some people are quick to knock the council. No doubt if a Christmas tree wasn't put up, some would complain about that too. Does it matter that the tree is being put up on a Sunday?
Old 15-11-2015, 12:30   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
The same words were used by ******** on Hyndburn Chat an hour ago. Same photograph too. Why whinge once when you can whinge twice, eh?

saw the same post

bad form to name people they may not want everyone on here knowing their real name hence usernames

i sometimes post things from hyndburn chat here and vice versa because i have friends on both who dont use both

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 12:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
saw the same post

bad form to name people they may not want everyone on here knowing their real name hence usernames
Point taken, but maybe the council workmen would also not like their photo being posted on here and Hyndburn Chat?

Last edited by Michael1954; 15-11-2015 at 12:44.
Old 15-11-2015, 12:53   #9
Beacon of light

They are in a public place so it is permissible to photograph them.
And yes, it does matter that it is put up on a Sunday. It isn't as if this is an essential service.....for goodness sake it is more than a month to Christmas.
If it was a situation that posed a risk to the safety of the public it would be different.

And aren't you doing a bit of whinging yourself to point out the fact that this posted on two forums?
Old 15-11-2015, 12:59   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
but maybe the council workmen would also not like their photo being posted on here and Hyndburn Chat?
I should coco, that naughty boy all in nonge hasn't got his steelys or his hard hat on the little scallywag, I'm sure his bosses will give him a proper ticking off come Monday morning.
Old 15-11-2015, 13:01   #11

Why does it matter that the tree is being put up on Sunday? Many people work on Sundays: supermarkets and other retailers, pubs, road sweepers etc. And no, I'm not whingeing. Just pointing out that some people will complain about anything.

Last edited by Michael1954; 15-11-2015 at 13:05.
Old 15-11-2015, 13:06   #12
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Many people work on Sundays: supermarkets and other retailers, pubs etc.
Quite, but I think you'll find that their rate of pay will probably be the same regardless of the day, but your public sector minions ...........
Barrie Yates likes this.
Old 15-11-2015, 13:16   #13
Beacon of light

Quote:
Why does it matter that the tree is being put up on Sunday? Many people work on Sundays: supermarkets and other retailers, pubs, road sweepers etc. And no, I'm not whingeing. Just pointing out that some people will complain about anything.
Those who work on a Sumday for Supermarkets will not be on overtime(and certainly not paid from local taxes)......and it sounds like whinging to me.
You are complaining about somebody complaining, but it isn't whinging???
Isn't that splitting hairs?
Old 15-11-2015, 13:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Those who work on a Sumday for Supermarkets will not be on overtime(and certainly not paid from local taxes)......and it sounds like whinging to me.
You are complaining about somebody complaining, but it isn't whinging???
Isn't that splitting hairs?
By that argument, anyone who tells someone to stop whinging is also a whinger. Or if you tell someone to stop complaining you are also a complainer, or if you tell someone to stop moaning you are also a moaner. We can go around in circles with this one. Why not be positive that the council is putting up a Christmas tree?
Old 15-11-2015, 13:25   #15
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

It will be double double time really, after all come January the same men can be photographed working on a Sunday taking them down.

Where can I get an application form? Must be the only employer in Hyndburn that is busy enough to give it's employees overtime. No doubt though H&S will be on the case by then, so they will be out in force putting signs like this up before work can commence:-

Last edited by Less; 15-11-2015 at 13:27.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..