Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2013, 16:47   #1
Full Member+

Clare's Law -Pilot scheme

Just been watching Granada reports about a pilot scheme that's being run at the moment called Clare's law. Clare Wood was murdered by her violent partner, she had no idea of his violent past. One area piloting the scheme is Greater Manchester. The scheme allows people access to information to a persons past and then, obviously a choice. What a brilliant scheme, may save many lives. I have a daughter and I'm Damned sure I'd want to know about who she was with.
Old 27-04-2013, 22:37   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Clare's Law -Pilot scheme

Not sure what I think about this. Can you image what would happen if everyone in a relationship wanted a check on their partner. The Police would either grind to a halt trying to process all the applications or the system would fall over and fail. It sounds good at first but could be impossible in practice.

The scheme can also disclose previous allegations of abuse, even if they were not proven and did not lead to a conviction.
Old 27-04-2013, 22:56   #3
Senior Member+

Personally, I wish this scheme had been in place a couple of years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Not sure what I think about this. Can you image what would happen if everyone in a relationship wanted a check on their partner. The Police would either grind to a halt trying to process all the applications or the system would fall over andprevent. fail. It sounds good at first but could be impossible in practice.
The scheme can also disclose previous allegations of abuse, even if they were not proven and did not lead to a conviction.
Doesn`t really need a police officer to look up previous convictions and would free up the officers who would normally be dealling with the domestic violence that this scheme would hopefully prevent.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 23:02   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Still not convinced, sounds like a good idea but we will have to wait and see.

Does the other person have to agree to you checking on them?
If not how do you prove you are in a relationship with them and not just someone digging for dirt on someone else.
The disclosing unproven allegations is worrying as well, innocent until proven guilty out of the window
claytonx likes this.
Old 27-04-2013, 23:13   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
I hope not, cos only those with nothing to hide would.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 23:40   #6
God Member

Quote:
Still not convinced, sounds like a good idea but we will have to wait and see.

If not how do you prove you are in a relationship with them and not just someone digging for dirt on someone else.
The disclosing unproven allegations is worrying as well, innocent until proven guilty out of the window
I agree there are problems. How can someone's criminal record be accessed? And if there are mental issues involved, medical records? I doubt if anything resembling full disclosure can be achieved.

On the other hand, police over here regularly inform a community if a convicted sex-offender is released into that community. Pictures and all. Not really the same deal, but similar.

I'm sure a system which is less than perfect, but still quite adequate can be devised.

But something has to be done. Too many women are dying. And kids.
westendlass likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 00:07   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I agree there are problems. How can someone's criminal record be accessed? And if there are mental issues involved, medical records? I doubt if anything resembling full disclosure can be achieved.

On the other hand, police over here regularly inform a community if a convicted sex-offender is released into that community. Pictures and all. Not really the same deal, but similar.

I'm sure a system which is less than perfect, but still quite adequate can be devised.

But something has to be done. Too many women are dying. And kids.
You don't know how lucky you are with a system like that Eric. Over here offenders are just released into the community with no notice given be them sex offenders, murderers etc. Seems the public over here don't warrant any protection, that is afforded to the offenders
flashy, cashman, jaysay and 1 others like this.
Old 28-04-2013, 08:39   #8
Resting in Peace

Just wonder how this would work with the Human Rights Brigade we have here, all these ideas sound great on paper, but like has already been said, how doe the authorities know whether its a genuine case or somebody just digging the dirt, or attempting to do so
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 10:00   #9
God Member

Only People who have something to hide will be against it, Its a good idea, but will it ever come into force?
Old 28-04-2013, 10:31   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Only People who have something to hide will be against it, Its a good idea, but will it ever come into force?
You can say that about compulsory DNA testing or Fingerprinting too, but it wouldn't go very far, maybe in North Korea but good old GB no chance
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 10:35   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Its not really if it comes into force, its more it won't be implemented properly, Thats a knocking bet.
flashy likes this.
Old 28-04-2013, 12:26   #12
Beacon of light

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure about that. I have nothing to hide, but would not be in favour if being fingerprinted, having my DNA taken or carrying an identity card......I do not trust those who could manipulate these thing against us.

I would ask 'Who guards the guards?'
Our police force have proved that they can be manipulated and are not above suspicion, and would cite the Hillsborough debacle as evidence.
flashy and cashman like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 13:15   #13
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I think in theory it's a good thing, but the actual actioning would be riddled with complications.
Old 28-04-2013, 14:56   #14
Full Member+

Surely there must be a way to implement this law. Anything is better than nothing if it prevents injury /death to another innocent person. These bullies need wheedling out, and if exposing them (If they have been convicted) is the way then tough. They don't allow their victims the courtesy of human rights. Personally, I'd like to think I'd deal with it with a midnight dance with a baseball bat, but that's just me.!
cashman likes this.
Old 28-04-2013, 15:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I'm not entirely sure about that. I have nothing to hide, but would not be in favour if being fingerprinted, having my DNA taken or carrying an identity card......I do not trust those who could manipulate these thing against us.

I would ask 'Who guards the guards?'
Our police force have proved that they can be manipulated and are not above suspicion, and would cite the Hillsborough debacle as evidence.
I don't think it's even necessarily about corruption either. Heaven knows the cock-ups that have happened with huge software launches by various govt depts in the past have been such debacles that a whole population database would have to be very carefully set up. I suspect that our friends from Salt Lake City may have the experience to do it but very high risk.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..