Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 7 Post By Fra
  • 2 Post By Fra
  • 1 Post By Wynonie Harris
  • 1 Post By choirboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-08-2015, 08:39   #1
Fra

Clayton Tree Carving

Hi all. Just thought this might be a good place to provide information and photos about the recent tree carving in The Woodlands opposite the Sparth Manor Hotel.

A few pics to start (I've got many!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0439.jpg (565.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0445.jpg (553.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0447.jpg (545.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0449.jpg (511.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0451.jpg (534.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0458.jpg (508.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0472.jpg (591.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0501.jpg (535.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0491.jpg (533.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0520.jpg (538.7 KB, 39 views)
Fra is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-08-2015, 08:41   #2
Fra

Re: Clayton Tree Carving

A copy of my email to Accrington Observer for ease of explanation:

Hi Jon,

Here's some pictures as promised from our great event. I've got lots more so if you want anything specific just let me know. It turned out to be a really interesting project with a lot of interest from the public. There must have been several hundred heads turning on Whalley road when it was being done over the course of Saturday and Sunday. We will be going back to do some inscriptions below the sculpture on Wednesday so you are welcome to attend then if you want.

The project was organised by myself Sean Kerr (chairman) and the Hyndburn Tree Warden group. The idea came about in a meeting when we saw that United Utilities were giving grants of up to £1000 towards community projects in the Hyndburn area, which was to give something back to the community following the inconvenience caused by major roadworks. We decided that this could be used to create a carving in The Woodlands, which is part of Clayton Forest Park, where there are other tree carvings but none in a very conspicuous location. After a site visit we decided that a standing Beech stump opposite the Sparth Manor Hotel entrance, would be the best place to do this. The Woodlands was previously awarded first place in the Community Woodland category of the Royal Forestry Society's Excellence in Forestry Awards 2013 and also acheived a silver award in the 'Best of England Excellence in Forestry Awards' again run by the Royal Forestry Society. Clayton Prospects panel deserve much credit for this.

Originally we were just going to carve an eagle then a work colleague said "why don't you do a Hen Harrier?". I thought that was a great idea and locally significant due to it being the symbol of the Forest of Bowland and there is the famous running group called the Clayton Harriers.

I couldn't have found a more suitable carver than Rick Goodwin either. He's very talented, good to work with and very modest. He definitely went the extra mile to make this sculpture stand out and the level of detail he has gone into makes your jaw drop!

The whole process of organising this event has been a challenging one but well worthwhile when you hear really positive comments from the public and see parents bring their families over to see it. Once the scaffolding comes down this will remain a lasting feature of The Woodlands and an iconic landmark for the area, especially given the significance of the Hen Harrier in Lancashire.

Please give credit to United Utilities for the Community Grant and to Ascent Scaffolding, who kindly donated the scaffold and netting to give something back to their local community.

Give me a call anytime today
Bob Dobson and Barrie Yates like this.
Old 31-08-2015, 09:06   #3
Super Moderator

Very nice, mate, but I think you're in the wrong part of the forum.
mab likes this.
Old 31-08-2015, 10:11   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Very nice, mate, but I think you're in the wrong part of the forum.
Nice carving though eh Wynonie!
Stanley have a "Carver" too. Perhaps our 'Carver' could be the target man up front with that much needed 'Hawk'eye for goal that we seem to be missing at the moment.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 12:06   #5
Fra

Whoops! Can some admin put this in general chat or something please?
Old 31-08-2015, 13:41   #6
Beacon of light

Lovely carving. Great pictures too.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 16:57   #7
Fra

In the observer now online
Old 15-09-2015, 20:59   #8

Great carving,well done all involved
thebailif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 21:45   #9
Senior Member+

fanastic.thanks for sharing
Old 15-09-2015, 21:45   #10

Thats really impressive well done.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 21:49   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Well smart.
Old 17-09-2015, 12:35   #12
God Member

Saw this 'in the flesh' so to speak on the way through Clayton yesterday, it's beautiful - really catches your eye when stuck on the Whalley Road car park, made me smile anyway
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..