Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 09:22   #1
Resting in Peace

clothes collections

Got yet another of those leaflets through the door this morning from a Company Calling itself Help (uk).
Wanting clothes and toys and shoes.
we seam to get 3 or 4 of these a week
They give 2 mobile numbers, (no landlines), then at the bottom they have registered No. 06566494.
I checked this number at the Charities Commision,
Charity Commission Homepage
Their result came back,
Extract from the Central Register of Charities maintained by the Charity Commission for England and Wales
No Charity Found For "06566494"
I then checked Companies House
WebCHeck - Select and Access Company Information
and found,
Name & Registered Office:
H-E-L-P (UK) LTD
59 GLAPTON ROAD
MEADOWS
NOTTINGHAM
UNITED KINGDOM
NG2 2FF
Company No. 06566494

Date of Incorporation: 15/04/2008
Country of Origin: United Kingdom
Company Type: Private Limited Company
Nature of Business (SIC(03)):
None Supplied
On checking with The Guardian online I found this reference,
Campaign leads to clampdown on rogue collectors | Money | The Guardian
The essential part of which is the guide near the bottom,
How to spot dodgy dealers
· A company registration number is a dead giveaway.
· No legitimate charity would give a mobile phone number.
· Do they use weasel phrases such as "help to create employment"?
· Are they on the Charity Commission register (charitycommission.gov.uk)?
Which makes it seem that they don't deserve your charity give your clothes to a charity shop at least you know they are genuine.
Here's some more advice from The Office Of Fair Trading,
Consumer Direct - Bogus charity collections

This is the whole article from the Guardian

Rogue clothing dealers posing as charities have been dealt a double blow this week with a tough clampdown by government agencies against the £3m-plus rip-off.

In August, Guardian Money started a campaign to drive the bogus collectors off the streets. We revealed how difficult-to-track commercial firms pushed leaflets through letterboxes asking for donations of used clothing while claiming to be good causes.

"Guardian Money's coverage has made a tremendous contribution to raising awareness," says David Moir of the Association of Charity Shops which speaks for 270 charities with 7,000 shops. And the Charity Commission said Guardian Money can take some of the credit for highlighting the problem."

The dodgy garment gatherers may use names such as Angel of Goodness or Island of Hope, with pictures of "orphans" or "street children", but they are out for profit, as well as denying charities goods they could sell - they lose at least £3m a year as a result.

The first initiative is an awareness drive involving charities, trading standards and Consumer Direct to help check if a collection is legitimate (see below for tips). And in a second move, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has issued legal guidance to say items left for a charity become the charity's property as soon as they are put into its bag, provided it is clearly marked. "This was a grey area in law and it has been difficult to get a successful theft prosecution. The charities we work with all use clearly branded bags, so there can be no mistaking who they are meant for. This will prove a major blow to the illegal second-hand clothes trade," says Michael Lomotey, head of campaigns for Clothes Aid, which collects for various UK charities. "This is not just one or two dodgy guys, it is organised crime gangs who make a fortune, often at the expense of the underprivileged."

How to spot dodgy dealers

· A company registration number is a dead giveaway.

· No legitimate charity would give a mobile phone number.

· Do they use weasel phrases such as "help to create employment"?

· Are they on the Charity Commission register

Maybe it's time we all started checking what comes through our door and reporting the rogues?

Last edited by Mick; 01-09-2008 at 09:50.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-09-2008, 09:25   #2
God Member

Re: clothes collections

I`ve just got one from the Air ambulance in partnership with Hyndburn Borough Council...........perhaps i should check the authenticity of the second lot.....
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:27   #3
I am Banned

yes it is so doing my hed in.
roberty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:36   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberty12 View Post
yes it is so doing my hed in.
What is?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:51   #5
Resident Waffler

I usually take ours to a charity shop or pop them in the air ambulance sack.

Last week I took some clothes down to town but the first charity shop I called in didn't get them because the person who should have been behind the counter was having an animated chat with someone else and despite the fact that she saw me and another woman standing at the counter she ignored us and carried on chatting. I took my bag of goodies elsewhere.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:52   #6
Senior Member+

When i get these they go just straight in the recycling

Anything ive got of any use either goes to family, friends or accyweb (would rather it be used and appreciated by someone I know) and failing that i leave it out for the air ambulance collection, i wont leave anything out for any of these
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:55   #7
God Member

I put out an air ambulance sack with my recycling stuff several weeks ago - it wasn't collected, so I took it back in.
I am filling it with more now - when full I will have to find out how I can get it collected

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:12   #8
Beacon of light

I never put anything in these bogus charity sacks......I recycle my stuff through the charity shops that I know.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:31   #9
God Member

i think all these collection charities provide a valuable service as many a time i have found myself short of a binliner and these angels seem to know when because no sooner have i ran out a binbag comes through myletter box and sometimes as a bonus they put a free pen through as well

they also provide nice couloured binbags which brighten up the kitchen

god bless them

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:01   #10
Resident Waffler

I've had times when the air ambulance bag hasn't been collected too so I ring up the council and tell them and they tell the collectors. I don't know why they miss them.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:22   #11
God Member

i had one delivered for the air ambulance service but the collection instructions were a bit vague

Quote:
please leave your yellow bag in the center of your garden and attatch the hook provided and do not approach the area whilst collection is in progess as this may lead to decapitation

i also got a bin bag collecting for the kids home but i couldnt see any air holes in it so i didnt donate

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 14:05   #12
I am Banned

what on earth do the bogus charities do wit the clothes? they must make a profit i suppose but how what do they do that makes it worth their while?

why would they want loads of clothes hanging round - I am sick to death of seeing one black bag full of clothes in my bedroom let alone thousands.
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 14:08   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
please leave your yellow bag in the center of your garden and attatch the hook provided and do not approach the area whilst collection is in progess as this may lead to decapitation
I wonder if they ever collect the wrong yellow bags from people
. One of my nieghbours has yellow bags collected and you would not want the contents
Old 01-09-2008, 15:32   #14
Loz

I always take my unwanted clothes to a charity shop don't think i have ever put them in one of those bags that gets posted through the letterbox,you don't know who to trust these days unfortunately.
Old 01-09-2008, 15:40   #15

These so called charities sell the clothes etc to third world countries raking in a nice butty for them. The one that makes me want to Throttle them is an alledged cancer one. It's not Cancer Research or any registered Charity but it's pink and uses language like the Breast Cancer charity uses but in small very small print is nothing to do with the Breast Cancer UK charity or in fact I suspect any charity but at first glance it looks as though it's BC UK. Watch out for that one.
maddee52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..