Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2014, 09:31   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Coca-Cola Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
No not being fly Margaret. Stevia may well be a healthier alternative to a whole basket of sweeteners, I am not convinced. Will it reduce tooth decay in youngsters? I think not it will only contribute to then developing the "sweet tooth" you and Margaret R confess to.
A fad a new alternative a bit like UKIP a different label offering not very much new when it's looked at closely.
It isn't sugar.....I do not have a sweet tooth, otherwise the box of Thorntons chocolates(a present at Christmas last year) would be long gone. My only confession was to liking my tea sweetened.

As for tooth decay in youngsters, that is something that parents need to,address with appropriate dental hygiene and healthy dietary intake......but children consume lots of fizzy drinks, and even with sugar substitutes they are damaging.
They leach calcium out of the bones......as well as the sweeteners having adverse effects on living tissue(see earlier post).
And before you tell me that these sweeteners have been given a clean bill of health...I would say'pull the other one, it has bells on it'.
These sweeteners are a Montsanto production(well development)a very large and politically influential company who would have no compunction in skewing research results(in a scientifically acceptable form)to ensure their coffers are not affected.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-10-2014, 09:32   #17
Beacon of light

Margaret, I am beginning to sound like you
MargaretR likes this.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:41   #18
God Member

I don't have 'a sweet tooth' either.
'Soft' drinks are loaded with sugars = bad news for health whatever age you are.
When I went on a strict diet for 6 months eliminating ALL forms of sugar (sucrose lactose glucose fructose etc) is when my palate was retrained to prefer savoury tastes.
Alcohol is fermented sugar - I haven't drunk that either since then.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:25   #19
Beacon of light

my Ma has diabetes......and this means that I am at more risk of developing this as I get older.
I am trying to avoid this fate by eating less...and certainly eating less sweet stuff.
I just can't drink unsweetened tea.......my Ma cannot drink unsweetened coffee......so she uses Stevia.....which does not influence her blood sugar levels.

For quite a few years her diabetes was very 'brittle'.......she would frequently drop her blood sugar alarmingly with a blood sugar level of 1.1(normal is 3.3 -6.6).
It was not very good being as she lives alone.
She is much more stable now......I don't put this down to Stevia...but to vigilance over what she has in the way of reduced sugar foods...and with careful monitoring of the sweeteners that are in these foods.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:11   #20
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
No not being fly Margaret. Stevia may well be a healthier alternative to a whole basket of sweeteners, I am not convinced. Will it reduce tooth decay in youngsters? I think not it will only contribute to then developing the "sweet tooth" you and Margaret R confess to.
A fad a new alternative a bit like UKIP a different label offering not very much new when it's looked at closely.
You obviously are not paying attention.
Sucralose, Saccharin, acesulfame, aspartame are all chemically manufactured artificial sugar substitutes.....in fact I think it was aspartame which was discovered by accident when scientists were making Flagyl( a drug which combats anaerobic organisms) and aldactone....the scientist licked his fingers(good job he wasn't working on formulating arsenic) and found the substance was very sweet.

Despite not being sugar...they still affect blood sugar level adversely.

Stevia, on the other hand, is derived from the leaf of the stevia plant...it is 200 times sweeter than sugar, has no calories and does not adversely affect blood sugar levels like the other chemical sweeteners do.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:14   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Liquorice tea [/url]
Just thinking of drinking that is knocking me sick
Old 12-10-2014, 12:21   #22
Beacon of light

I like liquorice, but don't think I would like to try liquorice tea.....though it is very good for the digestive system and has been used in calming stomach ulcers in the past.
Old 12-10-2014, 13:00   #23
Senior Member+

Green,red,black or silver it's just more of the same muck .
I asked Mrs explorer (who is diabetic) what she thinks,she buys some sweet herbal leaf liquid off a website.She said "I use stevia nearly every day,for diabetics its a blessing" and She swears by the stuff "it as a 'safe sweetener' compared to saccharin or aspartame". I suppose it's ok in moderation like owt else ......

...If your diabetic, Your best consulting your doc if you have any concerns regarding your health and possible stevia dangers.
Personally, as a non-diabetic,I prefer (bleached) sugar on my weetabix

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 13:15   #24
Beacon of light

The thing is, over the years the general public have been bombarded by false information about foods....natural foods.
Eggs are bad for you they raise your cholesterol, butter is bad for you.....we should all eat margarine(a chemical substance which was first formulated to fatten up turkeys...it killed them)...... Fat was removed from foods, but then it didn't taste good so sugar or sugar substitutes were added to make it taste better. The general public were sucked in because labels on food trumpeted the message'reduced fat'.......and this was taken to mean healthy.

We should stop demonising food groups and specific foods. We should eat what our bodies tell us we need....But in moderation. That word is the key.

Years and years ago we got our eggs fresh from a family who had a pen and kept chickens.....we fed those chickens, we knew exactly where our breakfast egg came from and it wasn't Tesco.

Our food is messed about with too much. Children are eating foods which were not prepared by their mother in her kitchen, but in some factory somewhere.
How can this be healthy?
So much has changed and not improved life or health.
Old 18-10-2014, 17:51   #25
Senior Member+

Well here ya go. I tried it!

Review in one sentence.

Just like life, but in a bottle- Its Crap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10665891_1518267711749389_7673470162471471468_n.jpg (67.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 18-10-2014, 18:04   #26
Beacon of light

And there was I thinking that you were going to say....just like life - short and sweet.
I won't be trying it as I don't like cola drinks.
Old 20-10-2014, 07:15   #27
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Mate, you must've been one disappointed kid.
Old 20-10-2014, 15:04   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Well here ya go. I tried it!

Review in one sentence.

told ya lol

it coulda been a lot worse you coulda wasted vodka in it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 18:06   #29
God Member

Coca Cola has been going downhill since 1903.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 18:49   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Coca Cola has been going downhill since 1903.

bloody hell how old are you

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..