Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2014, 11:06   #1
I am Banned

Coca-Cola Life

Green cans of Coke, I first thought they were selling off stock remaindered from some St Patrick's Day promotion.
A bit of googling tells me it doesn't have as much sugar as the normal stuff.
Some marketing product placement meeting that was that came up with the labelling of this new drink.
What does that make full fat Coke with its normal sugar level?
Coca-Cola Death
Stevie R likes this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-10-2014, 18:51   #2
God Member

Re: Coca-Cola Life

its supposed to use natural sugar and be better for you

this explains why it tastes nothing like coca cola and is crap

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 19:16   #3
Beacon of light

Coca cola Life is sweetened with stevia.....this is a natural sweetener which doesn't have the same effects as artificial sweeteners.
It doesn't disrupt the blood sugar levels like other sweeteners.
It has been used in Japan for a long time and it was available in Australia in liquid form(to sweeten tea and coffee) at least ten years ago.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 19:18   #4
I am Banned

Googling tells me it's been blinged up with a sweetener extracted from the South American stevia leaf. Whatever that is. Spiced brown water with vegetable extract made in vast vats. Pseudo eco crap trying to suggest it's as natural as a highland stream.
But people fall for this marketing guff and buy it.
Old 11-10-2014, 19:35   #5
Beacon of light

Stevia leaf is a natural sweetener........I have already explained something about it in a previous post.
It is better for diabetics than other sweeteners.....despite the fact that other sweeteners are not sugar, they still cause fluctuations in blood sugar levels.
As I remarked before, this sweetener has been used in soft drinks in other countries for over a decade.
I was using it to sweeten hot drinks back in 2004......it was much more expensive back then than other sweeteners.
Old 11-10-2014, 19:45   #6
God Member

It don't really matter what kind of sweetener you add to shiite ... it still tastes like shiite. Coke worsens the taste of rot gut whiskey.

And why has green become such a positive color ... green is the color of what's growing on the leftovers in my fridge. "Green" is what you grow around the gills just before you do the technicolor yawn. And who can forget Jenny Greenteeth ... Stay away from the cut or ....
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 19:55   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Stevia leaf is a natural sweetener........I have already explained something about it in a previous post.
It is better for diabetics than other sweeteners.....despite the fact that other sweeteners are not sugar, they still cause fluctuations in blood sugar levels.
As I remarked before, this sweetener has been used in soft drinks in other countries for over a decade.
I was using it to sweeten hot drinks back in 2004......it was much more expensive back then than other sweeteners.
Surely sugar is a natural sweetener Margaret?
Old 11-10-2014, 20:05   #8
Senior Member+

I'm willing to give it a try but I haven't seen it on sale anywhere yet. But most likely be crap all the diety type pop is
Old 11-10-2014, 20:37   #9
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Surely sugar is a natural sweetener Margaret?
Of course sugar is a natural sweetener.....are you trying to be fly?

The difference between sugar and stevia is that it has no calorific value.....which may or may not be important to you.
The other thing about sweeteners is that although they are not sugar and have no calories, they still affect the blood sugar levels......so for type 2 diabetics they still should be used with care.

Stevia does not have the effect that sugar and other sweeteners have on blood sugar levels.

The other thing about some sweeteners is that the metabolites from them are turned into a formaldehyde type substance in the body.
Formaldehyde is the stuff that pathologists use for pickling specimens...not something that you want to introduce into a living body.

I am pretty sure if you have googled stevia, that you know much of this stuff.

When I used to go out on my travels to Oz I always brought stevia back with me...I have used sweeteners in my hot drinks for more years that I care to think about.......and this is my sweetener of choice.

I cannot abide aspartame, acesulfame, sucralose, I will not buy drinks which are sweetened with them.......and sometimes if I buy a drink while I am out and I have a sip I can tell right away if any of these sweeteners are in my drink.

Check out all those drinks that say 'No Added Sugar'...you can bet your neck that they will contain one of the sweeteners that I have mentioned.

Many foods have been sweetened using these artificial sweeteners.
MargaretR and Accyexplorer like this.
Old 11-10-2014, 20:39   #10
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
I'm willing to give it a try but I haven't seen it on sale anywhere yet. But most likely be crap all the diety type pop is
Asda have had it for quite a while now.
I don't drink fizzy pop very often.......and I don't like Coke/Pepsi.
Old 11-10-2014, 20:48   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Sweetleaf Stevia - All Natural Herbal Sweetener - 0 Calories, 0 Carbs
I don't use any sugar or sweeteners but have a supply of stevia tablets for guests.
I bought mine with groceries from Ocado but they are available at Asda and Tesco, as shown on this shopping website.
mySupermarket.co.uk - Compare supermarket prices | Online supermarket shopping | Save Money on Top Offers

PS - Ocado even sells chocolates made with it
http://www.ocado.com/webshop/getSear...e&entry=stevia

Last edited by MargaretR; 11-10-2014 at 20:52.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 20:55   #12
Beacon of light

Margaret...aldi have been selling them for a while now......I have not been able to ditch sweeteners in tea despite all my efforts.
I can have a box of chocolates in the house for twelve months and not be tempted, but unsweetened tea...bleuuugh!
Old 11-10-2014, 21:03   #13
God Member

Liquorice tea is naturally sweet - and aids repair to a damaged colon.
I love (unsweetened) Yorkshire tea best.
Tea, decaff ground coffee, and filtered water are the only drinks I ever use.
PS I have a Berkey water filter system - not expensive bottled water
http://www.berkey-waterfilters.co.uk...FSoOwwod8YQA4A

Last edited by MargaretR; 11-10-2014 at 21:10.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 21:09   #14
Beacon of light

I have tried to wean myself off sweetened tea.......using a bit less sweetener......but I never enjoy the tea. I don't drink coffee, I am not fond of water, bottled, filtered or otherwise.
I don't have many vices, so I reckon if a cup of builders tea with sweetener in it is my guilty pleasure, then so be it.
I have got to an age when I think I am entitled to enjoy my tea(leaf tea, of course).
Old 12-10-2014, 09:15   #15
I am Banned

No not being fly Margaret. Stevia may well be a healthier alternative to a whole basket of sweeteners, I am not convinced. Will it reduce tooth decay in youngsters? I think not it will only contribute to then developing the "sweet tooth" you and Margaret R confess to.
A fad a new alternative a bit like UKIP a different label offering not very much new when it's looked at closely.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..