Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 01:17   #1
God Member

cold

well it's cold.. been in London since early 80's and never been like this.. no buses nowt..cars running slow..snow was down for along time last night
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2009, 04:34   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: cold

Yes we know,we have TV up here now and some of us even have cupboards and carpets.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:46   #3
God Member

crikey Pete..you'll be getting rid of the outside bog soon.. and maybe get colour TV..good luck
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:49   #4
Give, give, give member

Feed a cold, starve a fever.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:13   #5
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Feed a cold, starve a fever.
Cor blimey Rindy, aint heard that one in a month o' Sundays!
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:34   #6
God Member

i always wondered where the phrase 'southern pansies' came from (no offence Mancie)
Old 03-02-2009, 11:16   #7
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: cold

If anyone was around during the winter of 1947, now that was cold and it lasted for well over a month.

Even the sea at Blackpool froze. Not enough to walk on but nonetheless the surface was ice. 6 feet snowdrifts was the norm with the general snow fall at around 12 inches.

Schools didn’t close though, we just didn’t take off our hats and coats when we got there. And of course we walked to school.

Any transport that did manage to venture out (not that there was much anyway) had to have chains on its wheels otherwise it got nowhere.

Thick ice on the INSIDE of bedroom windows. We got very adept at getting undressed and into bed to curl up around the hot water bottle in a few seconds flat.

Come the morning it was high speed getting dressed and downstairs to wait for mum or dad to clean out the fire and light it again. Once lit we huddled close to it to try and get warm.

Yet life went on more or less as normal.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:56   #8
Give, give, give member

I was in London the last time it snowed in 1991. It is unusual, as most winters we never even had a frost, and my non-hardy plants such as geraniums, stayed happily out in the garden year after year.

In 1991 I'd gone for a drink after work with my friend Sara. When we'd gone in Harry's Bar at sixish it was fine. When we left at about eleven the whole of Piccadilly was covered by about six inches of snow. It was magical, and everone was in a playful mood. There wasn't much traffic, but the buses and tubes were running as normal, as they were the next day also.

It was unusual, but the city coped, and carried on as usual.

Eighteen years later it seems sad that even though buses ran whilst the city was being Blitzed, this is no longer possible, and our capital city ground to a halt. A halt that will have cost the country many millions of pounds.

Some progress.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:02   #9
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
If anyone was around during the winter of 1947, now that was cold and it lasted for well over a month.

Even the sea at Blackpool froze. Not enough to walk on but nonetheless the surface was ice. 6 feet snowdrifts was the norm with the general snow fall at around 12 inches.

Schools didn’t close though, we just didn’t take off our hats and coats when we got there. And of course we walked to school.

Any transport that did manage to venture out (not that there was much anyway) had to have chains on its wheels otherwise it got nowhere.

Thick ice on the INSIDE of bedroom windows. We got very adept at getting undressed and into bed to curl up around the hot water bottle in a few seconds flat.

Come the morning it was high speed getting dressed and downstairs to wait for mum or dad to clean out the fire and light it again. Once lit we huddled close to it to try and get warm.

Yet life went on more or less as normal.
i remember..i was only 6 but we still had to walk to school even though the snow reached the top of our wellies,,no namby pamby excuses in those days
Old 03-02-2009, 14:09   #10

We had picture postcards of double-decker buses taken at Whitebirk in 1947, with only the top few inches of them showing above the snowdrifts. I remember my mother sending the photos to her brother in Australia.
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 14:47   #11
God Member

i cant believe a little bit of snow brought londons bus service to a halt especialy since busses ran in a lot deeper snow when we used to get REAL amounts of snow in the 70's and 80's

terrorists dont need bombs to stop and distrupt london all they have to do is pray for a few inches of snow

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 16:44   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I was in London the last time it snowed in 1991...
I'd gone for a drink after work with my friend Sara. When we'd gone in Harry's Bar at sixish it was fine. When we left at about eleven the whole of Piccadilly was covered by about six inches of snow. It was magical, and everone was in a playful mood. There wasn't much traffic, but the buses and tubes were running as normal, as they were the next day also.

It was unusual, but the city coped, and carried on as usual.
If you recall, the snow started about lunchtime on the day the Provo's (originally thought to be Iraqi's, for this was the time of the first gulf war) let loose a mortar attack on Downing St and continued throughout the day. However, your memory and the BBC are playing you tricks.The snow fall was no more than 2 or 3 inches in the capital. The BBC yesterday referred to the 'heaviest snowfall since 1991', but they were in fact referring to the country as a whole.

At 9am yesterday morning, the snowlayer was about 10'' here in the East End; I have been here since 1978 and as such is far worse than anything I can recall. Still, that is no excuse for the total failure of the authorities - who had plenty of advance warning - to keep things moving.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 17:16   #13
God Member

They had to close part of the Undergound, must have been really deep snow
Old 03-02-2009, 17:30   #14
God Member

It snowed, and cleared up by 12 yesterday, then rained a lot in Hull. It's now dry outside.
Old 03-02-2009, 17:38   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
If you recall, the snow started about lunchtime on the day the Provo's (originally thought to be Iraqi's, for this was the time of the first gulf war) let loose a mortar attack on Downing St and continued throughout the day. However, your memory and the BBC are playing you tricks.The snow fall was no more than 2 or 3 inches in the capital. The BBC yesterday referred to the 'heaviest snowfall since 1991', but they were in fact referring to the country as a whole.

At 9am yesterday morning, the snowlayer was about 10'' here in the East End; I have been here since 1978 and as such is far worse than anything I can recall. Still, that is no excuse for the total failure of the authorities - who had plenty of advance warning - to keep things moving.
Maybe you're right. I just presumed it was '91, when they said eighteen years ago. It was definitely early '90's, as I met Sara outside Cartier's offices, and she only worked there 90-92.

This snow started in the evening, and the pavement on Knightbridge was still covered in frozen slush three days later.

Perhaps you'd hibernated, and missed this particular evening snowfall of more than two inches.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..