Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 18:31   #1
Senior Member+

college courses in Accy and surrounding areas

Hi, am very disappointed to learn that Accy College do NOT seem to be doing non vocational courses. Anyone any ideas where I can find out where and what is on offer for this Sept?

Fank you
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-08-2008, 18:33   #2
Senior Member+

Re: college courses in Accy and surrounding areas

is that off the website? cos the website is rubbish.... i was going to start a course this year but it said online that they werent doing it and when i rang them they said they were, have you tried Blackburn? I went there (the first time lol) and they were really good, what you after doing?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 18:48   #3

You'll be struggling to enrol for this sept if your looking for full time - I don't know about night classes. If your looking for non vocational courses your options are St. Mary's College in Blackburn, Preston College, Blackburn College and Burnley College I would rate them in that order as well. It depends what your going to study really - I've just left St Mary's and the only way I would fault it is the computing department but you get that at all colleges when it comes to computing - if they are any good they aren't teaching they are out doing the real work.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 18:52   #4
Senior Member+

I've also been to Burnley college and i wouldnt recommend it if you're a mature student.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 05-08-2008, 19:00   #5
Senior Member+

EVENING courses in Accy and surrounding areas

Dunno what I want to do, thats the whole point, I wanted to be ... inspired! Maybe have a go at calligraphy, fancy Indian head massage, but whether I would do it is another thing. Fancy learning dancing. Just want tempting but .... I am sorry, but I find Accy College's web site very poor, it gives no indication that they dont do non vocational and if they dont, why dont they. The college is HUGE now.
Old 05-08-2008, 19:01   #6
Senior Member+

Is the website no good then??

Keep meaning to take a look but havent yet, and if its no good i wont bother lol
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 19:03   #7
Senior Member+

its pants em, best off ringing them or popping in.

Old 05-08-2008, 19:13   #8
Senior Member+

I was hoping to be able to go on the website and see just what was on offer - Accross |
but unfortunately that is not the case. Have a look for yourselves
Old 05-08-2008, 19:14   #9
Senior Member+

Dont think ill be going unil sept '09 (when the boys are older) so have plenty time, but really do need to be thinking about it.
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 19:31   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
You'll be struggling to enrol for this sept if your looking for full time - I don't know about night classes. If your looking for non vocational courses your options are St. Mary's College in Blackburn, Preston College, Blackburn College and Burnley College I would rate them in that order as well. It depends what your going to study really - I've just left St Mary's and the only way I would fault it is the computing department but you get that at all colleges when it comes to computing - if they are any good they aren't teaching they are out doing the real work.
Are my Ubuntu posters still up in Mr Harkers and Miss Holts rooms?
Old 05-08-2008, 20:27   #11
I am Banned

Re: EVENING courses in Accy and surrounding areas

Hi Liz.

If you want to learn dancing, try sticking your finger in the light socket,

you will learn a lot of new rythms, as well as swear words.
Thought you'd already done calligraphy.

Retlaw.

Fancy learning dancing. Just want tempting but .... I am sorry, but I find Accy College's web site very poor, it gives no indication that they dont do non vocational and if they dont, why dont they. The college is HUGE now.[/quote]
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 22:26   #12
Give, give, give member

Re: EVENING courses in Accy and surrounding areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Dunno what I want to do, thats the whole point, I wanted to be ... inspired! Maybe have a go at calligraphy, fancy Indian head massage, but whether I would do it is another thing. Fancy learning dancing. Just want tempting but .... I am sorry, but I find Accy College's web site very poor, it gives no indication that they dont do non vocational and if they dont, why dont they. The college is HUGE now.
I'm sure I received a leaflet outlining courses to start in September at various schools and libraries, and which featured languages, computers, and assorted arty farty stuff.

Sadly this leaflet has since been recycled, but there is a number on this L.C.C. site, and they might be able to provide more details about what's on offer.

Courses

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 00:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Are my Ubuntu posters still up in Mr Harkers and Miss Holts rooms?
Oh aye lol funnily enough I had them two this year... dropped ICT in Jan though which did you take ?
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:19   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Oh aye lol funnily enough I had them two this year... dropped ICT in Jan though which did you take ?
ICT and Computing... shame the syllabus is pretty dire.
Old 06-08-2008, 14:34   #15
Senior Member+

Hi, absolute fluke. was in the Tourist Information in Accy, picked a leaflet up "Leisure in Hyndburn 2008" and surprise surprise, ACCRINGTON MOORHEAD SCHOOL, Queens Rd West 01254 231579 are advertising the following:- FIRST AID, BALLROOM DANCING, FOOTBALL LEVEL 1, GENEALOGY, STEP INTO SPORT, BEGINNERS COMPUTERS, ITALIAN FOR BEGINNERS, ITALIAN FOR BEGINNERS, HOLIDAY FRENCH, SPANISH FOR BEGINNERS, MANDARIN FOR BEGINNERS, YOGA, ADVANCED COMPUTING AND LINE DANCING. Hey, all Accy Webbers should go to the line dancing class, that would be good!
Atarah

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..