Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 07:51   #1
God Member

Come drive me to the moon and back

Its 232 thousand miles on average to the moon and I've worked out that having driven to knutsford for 10 years now at an average of 34K a year and averaged about 15K a year for the 9 years I drove before that I've covered a return trip to the moon

Also at todays prices and based on about 40mpg(less for teh 9 years, more for the last 10) the cost of fuel alone is over £60,000!

so how far have you 'travelled' in your lifetimes?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-10-2008, 08:05   #2
God Member

Re: Come drive me to the moon and back

My current commute feels more like hell and back than the moon
Old 01-10-2008, 09:08   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

My car is getting close to travelling that distance on its own (well I suspect someone has always been driving it, maybe not always awake though). It is well over 191,000 now
Old 01-10-2008, 09:16   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Its 232 thousand miles on average to the moon and I've worked out that having driven to knutsford for 10 years now at an average of 34K a year and averaged about 15K a year for the 9 years I drove before that I've covered a return trip to the moon

Also at todays prices and based on about 40mpg(less for teh 9 years, more for the last 10) the cost of fuel alone is over £60,000!

so how far have you 'travelled' in your lifetimes?
I used to drive conected with my work but don't think I drove that far entwisi, although I lost count of the number of times I flew up and down the motorway covering every part of England, Scotland and Wales, but unfortunately I haven't been behind a wheel of a car for a few years now, I have to really on Hyndburn Cars these days
Old 01-10-2008, 09:48   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
My car is getting close to travelling that distance on its own (well I suspect someone has always been driving it, maybe not always awake though). It is well over 191,000 now
Heh, I'm at 200K in the Volvo its surprising how well its hanging together

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:18   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I used to do over 300 miles a day as a service engineer and hardly ever left Lancashire, for some reason if I was in the South of Manchester, (I don't call it Greater Manchester, it's still part of Lancashire to me), my next call would be say Colne and just as I arrived in Colne my next call would be less than two miles from the job I had just left in Manchester.

This is how the day would go on and the miles spent on the local motorways soon mounted up.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:45   #7
Resting in Peace

QUOTE:so how far have you 'travelled' in your lifetimes?

Flown to Benidorm 140 times - So thats 280 flights - Plus been to Italy-Holland and Belgium.I'll let you work it out.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 15:58   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well over 300.000 miles but too lazy to even begin to work it out.
Old 01-10-2008, 16:15   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I used to do over 300 miles a day as a service engineer and hardly ever left Lancashire, for some reason if I was in the South of Manchester, (I don't call it Greater Manchester, it's still part of Lancashire to me), my next call would be say Colne and just as I arrived in Colne my next call would be less than two miles from the job I had just left in Manchester.

This is how the day would go on and the miles spent on the local motorways soon mounted up.
Sounds like your firm was very well organised Less
Old 01-10-2008, 17:19   #10
God Member

It's amazing you guys can put on that kind of milage in that tiny little island of yours.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 17:39   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Its 232 thousand miles on average to the moon
Which moon's this then? it's nearer 239,000 miles to our moon (the one made of green cheese). You're only an amateur yet, I've been driving for 32 years for 10 yrs I did around 60,000 a year (600,000), changed job and for the next nine yrs did 30,000 a year (270,000) and the other 13 years averaged roughly 14,000 (182,000). That's over a million miles. Two return trips and on my way back for a third visit.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 17:53   #12

Is that all ? I`m stood on the Earth which is 93 million miles from the Sun. So thats about 550 million miles a year it takes to go round the sun, and I`m 36 so thats.....

21000 MILLION MILES....wish I got air miles
Old 01-10-2008, 18:16   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoman View Post
Is that all ? I`m stood on the Earth which is 93 million miles from the Sun. So thats about 550 million miles a year it takes to go round the sun, and I`m 36 so thats.....

21000 MILLION MILES....wish I got air miles
You forgot to add the earth is spinning at 1 rev per day, thats a 1000 miles an hour just stood there, and then the galaxy we are part of is also on the move.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 23:50   #14
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Sounds like your firm was very well organised Less
We were on call to repair electronic equipment, nobody could predict who or when something would break down, we just had to attend as soon as possible, so I think actually they were.

Last edited by Less; 01-10-2008 at 23:52.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:15   #15
Resident Waffler

I think Busman has probably travelled to Pluto at least.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..