Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 2 Post By Jimmy Clitheroe
  • 2 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 3 Post By Jimmy Clitheroe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-04-2020, 21:38   #1

"Comic" Relief

A bunch of tax avoiding "celebrities" guilt tripping poor people to help fund their organisation so it can pay it's CEO £180'000 a year GRRR... don't the BBC steal enough off us ordinary folk as it is with out us having to fund jollies for celebrities and their pals so they can virtue signal how great they are?

Will comedians ever be funny again?
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-04-2020, 10:05   #2
Beacon of light

Re: "Comic" Relief

In a word Jimmy....NO.
They have not been funny since The Marx Bros.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 10:14   #3
God Member

might well have just banned comedy for good with the PC business and people living in fear of upsetting someone or other including themselves. bet some are loving the present situation as its so so serious.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 10:35   #4

I just hate how it's not allowed to be scrutinised or criticised because it is a "charity". Two and a half million a year goes on 'salaries', they have funded over fifty organisations that are directly linked to or openly support terrorist activities, only around 5% of funds given to African nations ever gets to the intended recipients.... but hey let's not the truth get in the way of the BBC 'celebrities' letting us all know how wonderful they are.... the only thing funny about it is how tax avoiding Jimmy Carr is mis-described as a comedian.
Old 23-04-2020, 12:59   #5
Beacon of light

Jimmy Carr is a boil on the bum of society.
I am sure his mother is proud of him(?)
Old 23-04-2020, 15:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Jimmy Carr is a boil on the bum of society.
I am sure his mother is proud of him(?)
I don't normally hate people but there are always exceptions these days. The lack of critical acclaim is what leads to minor 'celebrities' thinking they are popular and well loved when the reality is more along the lines of for every one that 'likes' them 100 detest them with a passion. It's about time the public was allowed to express it's true feelings towards celebrity status instead of them just deleting any criticism directed at them.
Old 24-04-2020, 09:19   #7
God Member

nothing new about celebs. even old time proper ones like gracie fields and wilfred pickles only did charity stuff as long as they were paid.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:21   #8

charities are just another business with a preferential tax structure.

read the part here about lavish pay & bonuses. it's no wonder I never give to charity. seems like a total scam to get poor people to pay extra for state failures by tugging their donors heart strings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camelot_Group
skuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 13:00   #9
Beacon of light

I give to local charities and I also support the Hospice and Macmillan.
The reasons I choose to support The Hospice and Macmillan is that both of these organisations have helped family members.

The other thing about giving to charity is that sometimes we do it as much for ourselves as the charity....to make our own lives richer.
charity is just that....it is not enforced, it is a choice.
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:48   #10
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;
charity is just that....it is not enforced, it is a choice.[/QUOTE]

tell that to some when its getting close to remembrance day.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:28   #11
Beacon of light

It is still a choice whether you wear a poppy or not.

I buy more than one every year.....and lose them,(they fall off my coat.....I bought a metal pin badge and would you believe it..lost the back of it) but I have never been harassed to buy a poppy.
Old 03-05-2020, 15:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It is still a choice whether you wear a poppy or not.

I buy more than one every year.....and lose them,(they fall off my coat.....I bought a metal pin badge and would you believe it..lost the back of it) but I have never been harassed to buy a poppy.
That is so true - have NEVER been hassled by poppy sellers. It's for people who gave their all so that we could have that right whether or not to donate to a charity.
Many of the rest are no more than aggressive beggars (especially those who go round the pubs) - while not saying we shouldn't give to charity I think people should look closely at how certain charities operate before making a decision to part with cash for them.
cashman, taddy and monkey hanger like this.
Old 03-05-2020, 16:39   #13
Beacon of light

I think if you have had assistance from a charity or a place that runs on charity, then you see things from a different perspective.

I remember Merton Seigleman fund raising to give end of life care to the people of the area.
Care that listened to those needing it, care that provided as much dignity as there is in any untimely death.
So if I have something spare in my purse....then I give.
That I give is as much for me as it is for the charity.....it is in the memory of those who spent their last days there.
I will continue to give because I can.....our candle does not lose any light by lighting another's candle.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..