Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2005, 19:26   #76
Beacon of light

Re: Condoms.

You can provide the youngsters with information......you can provide youngsters with Condoms......but you cannot regulate what they will do with either of those things. I worked in an area where sexual health was a hot topic. I dealt with young girls who presented themselves for termination of unwanted pregnancies.......I frequently gave these girls written and verbal advice and information...oh yes, plus of course a supply of the pill AND condoms...I always, always documented this......many many times the same girls came back time and again for repeat terminations. So having the information is not always the answer.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-11-2005, 19:30   #77
Beacon of light

My own sex education came from my father. He told me that if I ever brought disgrace on the family, I would be thrown out......along with what I came into the world with. (Nothing).....The word NO was my protection.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 19:45   #78

Wonder why things like aids etc were not as problem when the family was regarded as a complete institution & parents educated their kids in sexual matters. There may have been the rare occasion but these people were the shame of the family & often had to move away. Not condoning such action in todays society but people seem to rely too much on others will educate rather than getting things into perspective at source. Parents have kids then it is their responsibility to educate in such matters, not schools or playground title tattle. Margaret you are right- the word "no" is a forgotten word today.
Old 08-11-2005, 21:42   #79
God Member

i think this may well be because people think they can get knocked up and there's no need to worry because you can go and get a mornin after pill from the info centre and yer mam wont know anythings happened!
as much as it pains me to say as a 16 yr old i think that if people are to use the info centres parents should be informed; as i think the sheer embarassment would deter most of 'em from goin at it like rabbits with no protection!
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 21:49   #80
God Member

[quote=Margaret Pilkington) I worked in an area where sexual health was a hot topic. I dealt with young girls who presented themselves for termination of unwanted pregnancies.......I frequently gave these girls written and verbal advice and information...oh yes, plus of course a supply of the pill AND condoms...I always, always documented this......many many times the same girls came back time and again for repeat terminations. So having the information is not always the answer.[/quote]

can i just ask a question margaret please??

How come in the hospital, when you have just suffered a miscarriage of a baby that was SO wanted, do they put you in a ward with young idiots who can't keep their legs crossed and go to have abortions like its the pill??
So many times after I lost my baby, i wanted to get up and rip someones head off in that ward but pain stopped me.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 22:12   #81
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky
How come in the hospital, when you have just suffered a miscarriage of a baby that was SO wanted, do they put you in a ward with young idiots who can't keep their legs crossed and go to have abortions like its the pill??
So many times after I lost my baby, i wanted to get up and rip someones head off in that ward but pain stopped me.
Slinky that is disgraceful, and I'm sorry.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 22:19   #82
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
You can provide the youngsters with information......you can provide youngsters with Condoms......but you cannot regulate what they will do with either of those things. I worked in an area where sexual health was a hot topic. I dealt with young girls who presented themselves for termination of unwanted pregnancies.......I frequently gave these girls written and verbal advice and information...oh yes, plus of course a supply of the pill AND condoms...I always, always documented this......many many times the same girls came back time and again for repeat terminations. So having the information is not always the answer.
It seems apparent that we have no sexual health message being taught in schools, and the problems are getting worse. Perhaps it might be an idea to try and educate these young people as to the consequences of their actions, including using terminations as a form of birth control, and all the resulting problems.

Although you were a good girl Margaret, lots of people weren't. Terminations were still carried out by desperate people in the past, as well as numerous adoptions, and probably a lot of shotgun marriages that wouldn't have taken place if people had been better informed.

Old 08-11-2005, 22:20   #83
Resident Waffler

similar thing happened to me about 15 years ago, Slinky.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 22:30   #84
God Member

this is exactly what we shouldve been taught in school; the emotional stresses that come hand in hand with sexual relations (oh god i sounded like Clinton then) along with awareness of diseases and prevention

Last edited by shakermaker; 08-11-2005 at 23:58.
Old 08-11-2005, 23:30   #85
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
this is exactly what we shouldve been taught in school; the emotional stresses that come hand in hand with sexual relations (oh god sounded like Clinton then) along with awareness of diseases and prevention
We've read in your journal of your first chaste kiss yesterday.

We will be keeping an eye on your developing relationship, and hope you show as much common sense as you have posted in this thread.

Old 08-11-2005, 23:32   #86
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
We've read in your journal of your first chaste kiss yesterday.

We will be keeping an eye on your developing relationship, and hope you show as much common sense as you have posted in this thread.
He could be an example to others.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 23:49   #87
God Member

ooerrr should i be awaiting a call from some govt advertising blokes in suits?!

and the use of the word 'we' makes me a liiiitle anxious lol

Last edited by shakermaker; 08-11-2005 at 23:55.
Old 09-11-2005, 00:04   #88
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
ooerrr should i be awaiting a call from some govt advertising blokes in suits?!

and the use of the word 'we' makes me a liiiitle anxious lol
Think of all the people you could educate before starting to put the teens back on the right road.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:10   #89
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I remember there being a certain stigma attatched to coming home pregnant as a teenager and none of us would dare do it. The threat of that stigma (and a good hiding from yer dad) made you careful.

I also remember the awful stigma attatched to having HIV in the 80's, where ignorant people proclaimed it as 'the gay plague' or Ar$e Infected Death Sentence....It was awful and has thankfully come a long way. People are more educated about HIV, especially the people who were around at the outbreak. The government had their large campaign, but most of us who are interested have largely educated ourselves.

The only thing with attatching stigma to a certain condition or disease, is that it prevents people from seeking treatment or help. Whether that be antenatal check ups for a pregnant 14 year old or life prolonging treatment for somebody who is HIV positive, any kind of stigma attatched deters treatment.

All of our research shows that pregnant teenagers are far more likely to suffer complications such as pre- eclampsia (which is fatal to both mum and infant). This condition is detectable by regular check ups and pre- eclampsia can be treated. Mortality rates are higher for very young mothers as well as very old mothers. Stigmatising teenage pregnancy would only push the maternal mortality rate up again.

The government know this and that it why they are providing all this care and extra money etc. for teenagers. One of the benchmarks for health services in any country is maternal mortality, and ours is relatively low, which to the outside world makes our services look good..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:23   #90
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
My own sex education came from my father. He told me that if I ever brought disgrace on the family, I would be thrown out......along with what I came into the world with. (Nothing).....The word NO was my protection.
Well I'm glad that there is more than the word no, now Margaret, because no sometimes wasn't good enough.
I remember during the 80's a story in the Telegraph I think it was, about a lady that was being moved into 'care in the community', after spending 40 years, yes, 40 YEARS on a mental ward in a local institution, What had she done to be locked away from society for such a long time? She had had a child out of wedlock and because she refused to have it adopted her caring family had her commited!

Not the sort of thing that is happening now thank goodness, let's stick with education for them rather than going back to a time when society could let that sort of thing happen.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..