Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2005, 23:38   #1
Give, give, give member

Condoms.

I've just watched a programme on television about a year in the life of a lad from Leeds who was diagnosed with HIV.

It was very sad, but he kept saying he wanted to know who gave him the disease. I really wanted to scream at the screen YOU DID!

As someone who was just coming out of my teens when AIDS became front page news, my generation knew the risks, and how to help to protect yourself against infection. Any one old enough will probably remember the government sponsored ads on tv featuring tombstones and icebergs, as well as a leaflet sent to every household in the country advising of the risks of unprotected sex.

There now seems to be a whole generation of young people who don't know the risks of having unprotected sex. Cases of all sexually tramsmitted diseases have risen, inculding HIV. I know for a fact that in the clubbing scene 'barebacking' is poular, if the young people who do it knew the risks, I don't think they would gamble with their lives.

One statistic from the programme showed that last year in this country, there were more new cases of HIV in hetrosexuals than homosexuals. This is a problem that could affect anyone who isn't trying to protect themselves, and lessen the risks of catching this or any other STD.

I was lucky, education kept me safe. It wasn't the case for over ten of my closet friends.

It was used in the adverts in the 80's but is still relevant, 'don't die of ignorance'. Better still wait until you are in a stable, loving relationship.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-11-2005, 23:44   #2

Re: Condoms.

You mean Spike Milligan got it right then when he said
"Contraceptives should be used on every conceivable occasion"
Old 07-11-2005, 23:46   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al
You mean Spike Milligan got it right then when he said
"Contraceptives should be used on every conceivable occasion"
Yes but in his day you could wash them out and use them again.

Old 07-11-2005, 23:50   #4
God Member

I remember those ads on the telly and used to joke about them. They stuck with you and most of use played it safe even through the embarresment of going the chemist. Nowadays they think its uncool to have protection and hate the idea of it dispite the risks. If some guy aint man enough to use condoms then he deserves all he gets and can blame no other. Another side is the number of single mothers around because "macho man" decided he would rather ride bare back than use common sense. Even the lassies are going to have to force the issue if all this is to be controlled. Is it really worth it in the end all the pain associated with STD's Aids etc just because they dont like condoms.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 23:53   #5
God Member

I'm probably going to get shot down for this but the enemy that is MTV gives teenagers the best guielines for safe sex! I left an Accrignton High School this summer and in 5 years there NEVER received a single sex-ed/awareness lesson, we were expected to know everything through biology and r.e!
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 23:58   #6
God Member

Teenagers are now the victims of what they do know and should know and as for schools answer it hasnt improved since i was there. Always wondered what the bike sheds were for. Biology is ok being clinical but were is the bit on the emotional side to come from you cant get that on MTV.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 07-11-2005, 23:59   #7
Give, give, give member

Chylamidia is now nearing epidemic proportions amongst young women, and can lead to all kinds of problems including infertility, but is easily avoided through the use of barrier protection such as a condom.

I should point out that the lad in the programme contracted HIV through having unprotected sex, but only with the six people he had a relationship with.

A friend of mine Anthony died aged twenty eight in 1991. He had only ever had a relationship with one person.

Old 08-11-2005, 00:00   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
I'm probably going to get shot down for this but the enemy that is MTV gives teenagers the best guielines for safe sex! I left an Accrignton High School this summer and in 5 years there NEVER received a single sex-ed/awareness lesson, we were expected to know everything through biology and r.e!
don't see why you should get shot- think youve raised an area were awareness SHOULD be raised.
Old 08-11-2005, 00:00   #9
God Member

no im just saying how strange it is that MTV provide more contraception awareness than schools with their big celebrity campaigns and the like...
Old 08-11-2005, 00:00   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
That fact that you didn't receive any information at school, that could save lives, really angers me.

Old 08-11-2005, 00:02   #11
God Member

They seem to forget it takes only one infected person to start a chain of infections but will still take the risk of a bit of pleasure regardless of the fact a lifetimes pain can come of it.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 08-11-2005, 00:02   #12
Give, give, give member

Thank God for MTV, that's all I can say.

At least someone is acting responsibly.

Old 08-11-2005, 00:05   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Thank God for MTV, that's all I can say.

At least someone is acting responsibly.
Its a sign of the times when dispite all the pontificating by the govenment that a TV show is better for education. Like G it is madening but its also beyond belief

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 08-11-2005, 00:05   #14
God Member

and this is the channel which in many people's opinion is melting teenager's brains!!
melted brain or an sti....know which one id rather have, and it most definitely is NOT having livestock in mi undercrackers
Old 08-11-2005, 00:05   #15
Give, give, give member

With the wide spread of binge drinking amongst young people, use of a condom may also help lower the teenage pregnancy rate, currently the highest in Europe.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..