Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: no matter what Labour do they cannot win the next election
if labour have a new leader they have a good chance 7 33.33%
it's a stone cold cert that the Tories will win 9 42.86%
vote Lib-Dem in an attempt to keep the Tories out 1 4.76%
Give up and die! 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 10:19   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Conservative Government 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
To be fair Andrew there's been supporters of Google Page Ranking in both parties for years,but they have always been in the minority.

But maybe we are getting closer than we have ever been to changing the voting system. There is even talk about having a referendum on the same day as the General Election.
Its just a pity there wasn't a referendum on something all the people wanted one, except Brown, EUROPE
Old 11-10-2009, 10:29   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Its just a pity there wasn't a referendum on something all the people wanted one, except Brown, EUROPE
Easy enough to sort out next year, Jaysay. When the boy David gets in, perhaps he'll have a referendum on our membership of the EU. What do you reckon?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:54   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Easy enough to sort out next year, Jaysay. When the boy David gets in, perhaps he'll have a referendum on our membership of the EU. What do you reckon?
Can for me Wynonie, but I doubt it will happen, I never have toed the party line as I've said before, I have always believed in the principal of Trading with Europe not being Governed by them, but unfortunately that may now have been taken out of our hands by Brown and his parties broken promises, unless the Czechs hold on to see if the Tories win the GE
Old 11-10-2009, 11:01   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Can for me Wynonie, but I doubt it will happen, I never have toed the party line as I've said before, I have always believed in the principal of Trading with Europe not being Governed by them, but unfortunately that may now have been taken out of our hands by Brown and his parties broken promises, unless the Czechs hold on to see if the Tories win the GE
No, Jaysay, forget the Lisbon Treaty, what I mean is, why don't the Tories have a referendum on whether we want to stay in or leave the EU? But, of course, they can't because, like Labour, they're pro-EU and they don't believe in democracy if looks like it's going to go against them. In a few years, the debate on this thread will be meaningless, because we'll be ruled from Brussels.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:54   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
No, Jaysay, forget the Lisbon Treaty, what I mean is, why don't the Tories have a referendum on whether we want to stay in or leave the EU? But, of course, they can't because, like Labour, they're pro-EU and they don't believe in democracy if looks like it's going to go against them. In a few years, the debate on this thread will be meaningless, because we'll be ruled from Brussels.
I kinda think that's what I was trying to say Wynonie, but may have come across badly, the Tories are pro European, but not in being ruled by Europe, but why it was first set out for trading purposes, but now that the Cheshire Cat is about to receive his reward for selling us down the river to Brussels, you can't expect Gordon to rain on his parade can you, that's why there was no referendum on the Lisbon Treaty and why Gordon signed it behind closed doors out of sight, that's what Labour Do
Old 11-10-2009, 13:11   #21

You cannot blame 12 years of miss rule on the present leader!
webglynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 13:50   #22
JFT96

Quote:
No, you are right it must be all Thatcher's fault then

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 17:31   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by webglynne View Post
Oh yes you can he was one of the architects of it along with Lord Mandy, the now unelected deputy Prime Minister, Blair and Campbell, his fingerprint are all over this sorry mess
Old 11-10-2009, 17:43   #24
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by webglynne View Post
Maybe not the whole 12-years! Blair, who has made himself a multimillionaire on the back of his political jerrymandering and his fawning subserviance to George Bush, may yet be brought to task for his misdeeds. I would love to shake the hand of the bereaved father who spelt it out to him in no uncertain terms. The man has indeed got the blood of our servicemen on his hands, along with that of hundreds, if not thousands of innocent Iraqis and Afghans. The Arabs have long memories and I reckon that Blair's misdeeds will haunt him for the remainder of his misbegotten life.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 18:02   #25
Give, give, give member

The present government reminds me of Major's last government.

Sadly.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 18:35   #26
God Member

Quote:
Think about it Andrew, hung Parliament will almost certainly will mean a change to the voting system P.R.

The Tories do not want any change in the voting system for obvious reasons.
Need a little help on terminology here: what is a hung parliament? Is it when no one party has a majority? And, if this is the case, what's the problem
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 18:59   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Need a little help on terminology here: what is a hung parliament? Is it when no one party has a majority? And, if this is the case, what's the problem
That's right an hung parliament is when no one party has an overall majority.

If it's an hung parliament after the next election, this will mean that one of the main parties will have to rely on support from the Liberal Democrats to form a Government. The Lib Dems will almost certainly want a change in the voting system as the price for their support.

If you got some form of proportional representation voting system in this country it will almost certainly mean the end of one party domination.

The Tories don't want this. To balance the argument there's a few in the Labour Party dont want it either.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 19:12   #28
God Member

Quote:
That's right an hung parliament is when no one party has an overall majority.

If it's an hung parliament after the next election, this will mean that one of the main parties will have to rely on support from the Liberal Democrats to form a Government. The Lib Dems will almost certainly want a change in the voting system as the price for their support.

If you got some form of proportional representation voting system in this country it will almost certainly mean the end of one party domination.

The Tories don't want this. To balance the argument there's a few in the Labour Party dont want it either.
We have had a minority government for a couple of years now; the Conservatives rely on support from the New Democrats (Labour) and/or the Bloc Quebecois (don't worry, you don't have anything like this) .... it's working well, and all the recent polls show that the last thing Canadians want is another General Election ... and, if we did go to the polls, we would probably end up with another minority govt. Proportional representation would seem to be the way to go for us ... but it's a hard sell. A minority tory govt. is, from what I read, Labour's best hope.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:13   #29

mancie can you not stop ranting //???? this lot dead & buried sooner the better..
nortype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 18:12   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortype View Post
mancie can you not stop ranting //???? this lot dead & buried sooner the better..

If he aint having a rant we worry about him.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..