Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2010, 16:07   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: Conservative Parliamentary Selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I think CCO have made a mistake. They don't appear to understand the local area at all.

However, I do think we need to give the candidates at least a chance to talk to the people before we condemn them. You never know, there might be someone in there who is perfect for us.
Gayle I've seen quite enough place people on short list from CCO to last another lifetime and believe me I wouldn't give 90% of them house room never mind a seat in parliament
Old 21-02-2010, 16:35   #62
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
At least they don't try to work the system to their benefit...oh hang on they do though don't they
I know I'm going to get my hands slapped quite soon for slightly hijacking this thread, but no, they don't. They are now debt free and are the most positive thing this borough has going for it in terms of national publicity at this moment in time. I also have lived in other places around the country and travelled abroad and like Cashy whenever I say "Accrington", back comes the inevitable reply, "Stanley!"
Old 21-02-2010, 16:57   #63
God Member

I wasn't referring to the Clubs indebtedness, though that was scandalous enough, but to the shameful conduct of players betting against their own club, that was Stanley players wasn't it. I do stand to be corrected if it wasn't, as I said I take no interest in football.
Old 21-02-2010, 17:03   #64
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
I wasn't referring to the Clubs indebtedness, though that was scandalous enough, but to the shameful conduct of players betting against their own club, that was Stanley players wasn't it. I do stand to be corrected if it wasn't, as I said I take no interest in football.
It was indeed, but the players concerned have gone now. We also have a new chairman, Ilyas Khan, an Accy-born lad who is a real credit to this borough. We could do with a few more like him!
Old 21-02-2010, 17:50   #65
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
perhaps ya do bob, i also have lived in many places n countries, n can honestly say when conversing wi most british people who ask were ya from, most have said "Stanley" after i said accrington.
Only the men though Cashy .. not the women, and they are ? percentage of the population. When I have been travelling, or on the 'phone, can't remember once getting this reaction from a woman. The women were more interested in Oswaldtwistle ... querying the origin of this odd sounding town name ... Was great for breaking the ice on a sales call.

I still believe the Tories are doing the correct move by offering outsiders. I would not vote for Janet Storey (just summat put me off her) and who else in the Hyndburn Tory camp is fit to do the job without losing votes due to the fact that they are not popular away from the cocoon of their wards ? They need someone with a great personality, credible that they will do their best for us and a decent track record. Businesses appoint M.D's that have no experience of the industry they are invited into, and make a damn good job.

The Conservatives will just have to play on the fact that lots of people may just be (insert your own expletive) at the present Government.

As said before, Graham Jones was the best choice for Labour due to the fact he is popular with a good majority of voters outside his Peel Park ward .. me included.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 18:06   #66
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Council housing creates slum estates
In my opinion its the people that make our communities what they are not the type of houses.
Old 21-02-2010, 18:21   #67
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
In my opinion its the people that make our communities what they are not the type of houses.
Not so sure about that Neil. Have never lived in rented accommodation so difficult to comment with any real knowledge, however, seems to me that the landlords play a big part in this, not keeping their properties up to spec. and ignoring clients pleas for repairs .. was horrified to read MargaretR's rundown on the problems she is having in her flat ..

Slums are just that .. properties that are rotting for want of repair and modernisation.
Old 21-02-2010, 18:42   #68
Senior Member+

Great news for Graham I would have thought, give us a shout when you want some leafleting doing!
Old 21-02-2010, 18:44   #69
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Not so sure about that Neil.
Remind me next time I see you and we can discuss it so we wont be off thread here.
Old 21-02-2010, 18:59   #70
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Remind me next time I see you and we can discuss it so we wont be off thread here.
Your best put down up to date Neil ...
Old 21-02-2010, 20:21   #71
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Only the men though Cashy .. not the women, and they are ? percentage of the population.
in the main yes the men, though my first ever customer was a woman from clayton/accy n she did say it, but ya must concede that most who enter bars are men or couples n its always the man who comes fer the drinks to the bar, women being natural spongers.
Old 21-02-2010, 20:38   #72
God Member

Quote:
.. but ya must concede that most who enter bars are men or couples n its always the man who comes fer the drinks to the bar, women being natural spongers.
You're 100% right there, Cashy. Have you ever wondered, why, in the old days, you had men only bars in the pubs and clubs but you never, ever, saw a women only bar? Why? Because there was no point, that's why...it would just have been a total waste of space..they would have bought nowt and would just have sat there doing nowt other than indulge in their usual inane natter.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 21-02-2010 at 20:42.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 20:51   #73
Resting in Peace

Quote:
or couples n its always the man who comes fer the drinks to the bar, women being natural spongers.

Nah Cashy .. you've got it wrong .. their women these days will have slipped them a tenner to go there.

There's definitely a sexist theme running through these threads today ... has someone put summat in the water (or the beer) ??

Last edited by katex; 21-02-2010 at 20:54.
Old 21-02-2010, 21:06   #74
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Nah Cashy .. you've got it wrong .. their women these days will have slipped them a tenner to go there.
if thats the case please explain this theory to paris next time ya see her.
Old 21-02-2010, 21:14   #75
Super Moderator

Quote:
If only, Katex...everytime I suggest to Mrs H that she might like to get her hand in her pocket and get a round in, I'm firmly but politely told: "I'm like the Queen - I never carry any money."

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..