Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2013, 16:29   #31
Super Moderator

Re: Conspiracy Theories

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocuana1939 View Post
The way things are developing it looks as if Camoron & Co are just spoiling for a fight. Afghanistan, Libya, Ireland, Mali are all currently on the agenda and being touted in the tabloids as potential hotspots.
Was it ever thus? The last lot were notorious warmongers. In fact the slimey one was gagging to drag us into Iraq!
Old 16-01-2013, 16:39   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Was it ever thus? The last lot were notorious warmongers. In fact the slimey one was gagging to drag us into Iraq!
wasnt he half infact he threatened MPs jobs if they didnt vote to go to war

our ex MP once said that despite been aware that the people of hyndburn wanted no part of the Iraq war he felt it was the right thing to do so voted for it. ( sounds better than i had to or i woulda been sacked)

seems its a labour thing to know what the people want and do the exact opposite when it really matters

and before the labour lot start panting and wheezing its not anti labour its just how it is and im sure conservitive MPs use their position to do as they please and not as they are supposed to do which is the representing of their constituants

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 16-01-2013 at 16:45.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 23:03   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
see no one noticed

so what gang did they join to hide behind then ?
Because you hadn't noticed does not suggest that anyone else was unaware of the fact.
They insisted on total control of their own nuclear arsenal and were unwilling to have it controlled by the USA or to have their troops serve under a US Army Commander.
Old 17-01-2013, 08:33   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
wasn't he half infact he threatened MPs jobs if they didn't vote to go to war

our ex MP once said that despite been aware that the people of hyndburn wanted no part of the Iraq war he felt it was the right thing to do so voted for it. ( sounds better than i had to or i woulda been sacked)

seems its a labour thing to know what the people want and do the exact opposite when it really matters

and before the labour lot start panting and wheezing its not anti labour its just how it is and i'm sure conservitive MPs use their position to do as they please and not as they are supposed to do which is the representing of their constituants
I can only ever remember one MP who stood by the people who voted for him and that was Ken Hargreaves. I can remember during the community charge fiasco back in the early 90s (Poll Tax) the whips office continually badgering Ken to vote with the Government on the introduction of this tax, Kens reply was, that to vote for this legislation would betray every one of those people who voted for him and he wouldn't be able to look people in the face, there was even a last ditch attempt by the PMs office to try and change his mind, but he wouldn't change. Ken was only ever interested in representing the people of Hyndburn, he turned down any suggestion of a job (pps or junior minister) unlike the last two Labour incumbents who both have and had jobs in the whips office.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 09:07   #35
Senior Member+

Interesting aside mentioned on this mornings news.
We have an agreement with the French to share military assets and facilities where required. Thus we lend them transport planes.
The agreement also covers assisting each other if requested! So we could have troops in Mali before we realize it.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 10:04   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Interesting aside mentioned on this mornings news.
We have an agreement with the French to share military assets and facilities where required. Thus we lend them transport planes.
The agreement also covers assisting each other if requested! So we could have troops in Mali before we realize it.
Well at least they've improved from 1914 and 1939 they only had a white flag then
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 11:15   #37
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well at least they've improved from 1914 and 1939 they only had a white flag then
Sorry Jay, but as mich as I dislike the frogs, they lost a hell of a lot more men in battles during WW1 than we did, one of the main reasons for the battle of the Somme July 1st 1916, was to relieve pressure on the frogs, who were loosing men faster than they could replace them.

Last edited by Retlaw; 17-01-2013 at 11:18.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 13:04   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Sorry Jay, but as mich as I dislike the frogs, they lost a hell of a lot more men in battles during WW1 than we did, one of the main reasons for the battle of the Somme July 1st 1916, was to relieve pressure on the frogs, who were loosing men faster than they could replace them.

In "Price of Glory" Alistair Horne details the horrendous losses and great courage of the French Army at Verdun. Even more than the British generals, those in command of the French Army threw brave men into futile attacks, notably in the Nivelle Offensive in 1917. Horne's thesis, explored in "To Lose a Battle" lays the blame for the poor showing of the French Army in 1940 to the losses in battles like Verdun, and the Maginot (himself a wounded vet of Verdun) Mentality on their desire to avoid the losses of WWl ... ironically, a strategy based on the success of the fortifications at Verdun, particularly Forts Douaumont and Vaux.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 13:53   #39
Senior Member+

Napolean showed that with the right leadership a French Army could be invincible.
I doubt we'd have beaten him on our own.
I think when we laugh at the French we're not laughing at the soldiers, we're laughing at the pathetic politicians and Generals who have led them ever since.
Old 17-01-2013, 14:55   #40
Senior Member+

Thread wander- I read somewhere that one of the things which contributed to him loosing the Battle of Waterloo was his piles!
They were so bad he couldn't sit on his horse and being short, when he got off he couldn't oversee the battlefield and his troops.
I wonder which hurt him most- his piles or loosing the battle?
Old 17-01-2013, 15:52   #41
God Member

Quote:
Thread wander- I read somewhere that one of the things which contributed to him loosing the Battle of Waterloo was his piles!
They were so bad he couldn't sit on his horse and being short, when he got off he couldn't oversee the battlefield and his troops.
And happily wandering right along from piles to biorhythms, to kidney stones: Years ago, long before .com, I read a fascinating article on biorhythms in "Scientific American". After looking at Napoleon's bior's for the day of Waterloo, the only conclusion is that he should have stayed in bed, and slept thro' the day. In the Franco-Prussian War, Napoleon lll, was in so much pain from kidney stones that he wore rouge to cover the palor ... (or maybe he just liked make up, and possibly the wearing lace panties). However, it is perhaps interesting (in terms of how far one can wander) to note that von Blucher seemed to do ok at Waterloo even though he believed he had been impregnated by a French grenadier, and was carrying his child, an elephant
Old 17-01-2013, 16:46   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
However, it is perhaps interesting (in terms of how far one can wander) to note that von Blucher seemed to do ok at Waterloo even though he believed he had been impregnated by a French grenadier, and was carrying his child, an elephant
As thread wanders go that is a marathon.
Someone should have told von Blucher that at his age he'd definately gone through the menopause and couldn't possibly be having an elephant.
Old 17-01-2013, 16:51   #43

Quote:
Either way it was a bloody mess!
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 16:54   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
von Blucher seemed to do ok at Waterloo even though he believed he had been impregnated by a French grenadier, and was carrying his child, an elephant
I've heard of 'Consorting with the Enemy' but that was taking a bit too far!
Old 29-01-2013, 15:30   #45
God Member

It's that Mali thing again ... no doubt those of who take an interest in what's happening in this screwed up world of ours, have noticed that British forces are on their way to Mali. And Canadians were informed today that Canadian special forces are on their way to (or are already in) Mali. Joint Task Force 2 soldiers are in Mali to, officially, protect Canadian assets in Mali As far as I know these assets are: One embassy, and one RCAF heavy lifter. Even the talking heads are questioning why one would send elite special forces troops to guard a building and an airplane A few guys from the City of Moose Jaw P. D. could do that job. JTF 2 is so secretive that even they don't know who they are. Oh, and another $13 million in aid for Mali. The US has agreed to mid-air refuelling French planes. All the ususal suspects seem to be getting involved. Maybe they've given up on the Taliban and chosen an enemy even the French can push around.

Something is, I believe, going on behind the scenes. Free access to information about what our governments are doing is limited ... or it is possible that the Western allies are taking the threat from militant Islam very seriously; as seriously as some of us would like them to take it.
susie123 likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..