Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 12:42   #1
God Member

Corner shop 'time capsule'

I happened on this in the Daily Mail
The old curiosity shop: Treasure trove found in store left boarded up for decades | Mail Online
It makes an interesting read - wonder where in Accy it is.
It looks like it could be a shop on Burnley Rd past the old Stanley ground, but I may be wrong.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-10-2008, 12:47   #2
God Member

Re: Corner shop 'time capsule'

It's on the left hand side as you go up, effectively would have been opposite the old Peel Park. First building after the vauxhall dealer.

Strange they say nobody lived there cos I saw an old bloke coming out of it a few months ago, I recall at the time being shocked he still lived there.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:47   #3

That is amazing!! Phil and I were just looking at that in the SUN newspaper. I would love to go and have a look.

Gail xxxx

http://www.hyndburnramblers.co.uk/
'erindoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:51   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
It's on the left hand side as you go up, effectively would have been opposite the old Peel Park. First building after the vauxhall dealer.

Strange they say nobody lived there cos I saw an old bloke coming out of it a few months ago, I recall at the time being shocked he still lived there.
Glad I got it right - I parked next to it a few weeks ago because an old school friend lives on that block.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 13:03   #5
Resting in Peace

Gosh .. that is truly amazing ... shame couldn't be preserved as such. Mind you, wouldn't generate much income particularly, pleased they are saving the contents. The council workers must have felt a little like those explorers opening an Egyptian tomb for the first time.

Remember going there many times in my childhood, as lived very close. Only for ice cream though, don't particularly remember the other items or the shopkeeper at the time.

Last edited by katex; 10-10-2008 at 13:10.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 13:57   #6
Resting in Peace

Hey, they have just mentioned this story on the Steve Wright show on Radio 2 ... when his side kick asked where it was, Steve replied 'It's in Hyndburn' with loud aspiration on the 'H' ....
Old 10-10-2008, 14:09   #7

Needs preserving as it goes to show not every empty building gets vandalised!!

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 14:19   #8
I am Banned

I've been told it will be on Granada TV tonight, some time after 1830 hrs.

There's an article in the Daily Mirror.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 14:21   #9
God Member

I used to go in there as a kid, it's not been shut for forty years but definitely more than thirty. The place next door, that's now Hugh Davies Car Sales, was Stocks pop factory, the original home of Iron Brew before the Jocks got hold of it and changed the name to Irn Bru and claimed it was made from girders.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 14:22   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

amazing. like kate it brought back a few vague memories, used to call in as a kid, when goin up huncoat to play football, i only remember the sweets. pineapple chunks n sasperella drops.
Old 10-10-2008, 14:25   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
Needs preserving as it goes to show not every empty building gets vandalised!!

Trust you ... 'tis is in one of the better areas of town ...

Think the ice-cream they sold was Whitewell Ices, but stand to be corrected. Never a well-stocked shop, even in the 50's.
Old 10-10-2008, 15:14   #12
God Member

OMG! Are they sure its not been open for 30 yrs, cos i do vaguely remember going into an oldy worldly shop on burnley rd across from golf club a bit further up nr garage, now i would of been young but sure when we used to grave yard i used to nip in that shop for snack supplies that would be early upto mid 80's

When arkwrights store comes on always reminds me of the the old shops, lucky not to have missed gracing them, shop further along from Peel Park [now Ahmeds] used to be a very oldy worldy shop owned by an old couple it was all wood & jars lol.

Mind u a lot of shops were oldy worldy before the mid 80's & result of a new breed of shop owners so many were lost to be modernised, which was sad.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Last edited by Stanleymad; 10-10-2008 at 15:17.
Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 16:02   #13
Resting in Peace

I used go in when I was serving my apprenticship at R. P. Townleys on Maner Street that 40 odd years ago
Old 10-10-2008, 17:29   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I've been told it will be on Granada TV tonight, some time after 1830 hrs.

There's an article in the Daily Mirror.

Retlaw.
Oh blooming hek .. only caught the last 10 seconds of this ...
Old 10-10-2008, 17:34   #15
Caz
God Member

Those biscuit tins with the see through lids bring back memories of Bob Whatmough's shop on Ormerod St many moons ago. Every time we went in I was allowed a biscuit of choice. I use to call him "Biccy Bob" Well I was lickle!

Remember having a go on his trombone one day too!

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..