Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2021, 11:39   #1531
Beacon of light

Re: Corona Virus

The deputy Chief Medical Officer of Health(Jonathan Van Tham) has said in answer to a question.... 'Having the vaccine does not mean that pensioners can go wild, playing Bingo'
he has said that it is NOT known if this vaccine will prevent transmission of the virus.

What a trite and condescending comment from a man who is on the team which issues edicts about how we can conduct ourselves.
He talks like we are twelve and have not the brains to butter our own bread.
His comments take no account that we have been held in resrtictions of one sort or another since the 23rd of March last year...and that it is the majority of the older generations who are followinf the rules.

Does this man not know that places of entertainment have been closed down, that there is NO BINGO unless you live in a care home...that all social venues, pubs clubs theatre, classes have been severely curtailed.

Oh, but wait all of the efforts of these scientists have failed, so let's blame the population...they are an easy target.

It just shows the grasp that these people have on the real world...NONE

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 02-01-2021 at 11:42.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-01-2021, 15:30   #1532
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The deputy Chief Medical Officer of Health(Jonathan Van Tham) has said in answer to a question.... 'Having the vaccine does not mean that pensioners can go wild, playing Bingo'
What a trite and condescending comment f
Margaret,
You may have already seen it but there is a very good observation on what may lie behind Van Tam’s supercilious opinion, and on Loony Ferguson’s equally staggering comment that ‘they’ didn’t think they could “get away with” a full lockdown in the West like China did, on today’s Lockdown Sceptics web site. Scroll down to “van Tam’s Bingo Slip”.

https://lockdownsceptics.org/

It comes after a montage of NHS winter headlines from the past eight years - guess, what?
Even the Guardian seems to realise there’s something we are NOT being told.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 755BC1FB-3B3A-4A09-864B-EEBD5084DAF3.jpeg (224.8 KB, 9 views)
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 16:40   #1533
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
An even more worrying situation seems to be arising now....another untested, untrialled proposal.
That is that the Astra Zeneca vaccine and the Pfizer vaccine be mixed and matched.

Valid point Ma & here is an article I've just read concerning the point you made.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...er-astrazeneca
Old 02-01-2021, 16:47   #1534
Beacon of light

What a very interesting and insightful article.
What is happening with these lockdowns and restrictions is akin to a type of terrorism....keep the population guessing...soften them up by giving them a bit of freedom and then yank the choke chain to bring them back to heel....the best of it is Exile the population are in favour of it.....they want more and harder restrictions....it makes me ask myself if this is a kind of Stockholm syndrome where the captured grow to love their captors.....or are they just sheep who cannot do anything other than follow the lead sheep.

As for hospital being overwhelmed.
I retired from the NHS in 2002 and even way back then for at least ten years before I retired we stopped planned surgery so that we could take in medical patients and in 1999 the situation was dire enough for Male medical patients to be accommodated on a Gynaecology ward.....something that had never happened before.

There are NO Stats for flu and pneumonia on the ONS site......when these are the usual causes of death at this time of year....so it looks as if ANY respiratory admission is being deemed Covid whether it is or isn’t.

All to scare people into getting vaccinated.....will make million# for Patrick Vallance and Chris Whitty who are both involved in companies that produce vaccines.......would that be a conflict of interest?

I am offended by the attitude of JVT.....he stereotypes pensioners as dumb, unintelligent people who are only interested in going to bingo.
I am one of these and I have never been in a bingo hall in my 73 years.
I have not been on a bus for nine months....I have not been to my yoga classes or to my UA3 talks....no library visits, no haircut, no swimming sessions...
I have stayed home....I have social distanced.....the only thing that I have done is visit my daughter because I am part of her support bubble ( a cancer patient)
dotti34 likes this.
Old 02-01-2021, 16:54   #1535
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Valid point Ma & here is an article I've just read concerning the point you made.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...er-astrazeneca
Yes, I have seen that article....but there are others out there where some ‘experts’ think that giving a mix and match version might work.
Note: they THINK....but do not know and are prepared to use the elderly and the vulnerable to test out their theories.......that it MIGHT work, because again no tests have been done on the mix and match plan.
And if it all goes horribly wrong well, so what, the test subjects were old and about to die anyway.....and best of all the drug companies have immunity.

I would have thought that ANY use of these vaccines that was not in accordance with the manufacturers guidelines(which will have been established as a result of the research) would invalidate their authorisation by the EMA for use on the population.
monkey hanger likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 02-01-2021 at 17:00.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:08   #1536

I was horrified and dismayed at the snide comments made by that Van Tham person (as quoted by Margaret). How condescending his comments were – as if the older generation’s main interest in life and concern (and ability) is to have a game of Bingo – and very demeaning, as if that is all they are capable of doing.

Okay, so I don’t live in a Nursing Home and I don’t play Bingo, but I AM old (very old by some people’s standards) and I take offence at this comment. it might surprise that man to know that so many oldies (me included) actually fill our days with reasonably intelligent pastimes and pursuits, but if I enjoyed Bingo I would play it also. It certainly was an insult the way it was said.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:36   #1537
Beacon of light

Jonathan Van Tham is now saying it is safe to leave 12 weeks between doses of the vaccine.....and he knows this HOW?(this is in order to give more people a first dose of a vaccine that is an unknown quantity)
The research from the manufacturers is based on a 21 day period between doses......AND interestingly (or not, depending on your point of view) they do not KNOW if it will stop transmission of the virus....and that is what they pin their hopes on.....neither do they know if it will protect you from the virus....you MAY still get it, but be less sick....but they are not sure.
They are not sure how long any immunity will last either.
But JVT says it is safe to have one dose followed by a three month gap.....why do I not feel reassured by his prognostications.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:57   #1538
God Member

Quote:
Jonathan Van Tham is now saying it is safe to leave 12 weeks between doses of the vaccine.....and he knows this HOW?(this is in order to give more people a first dose of a vaccine that is an unknown quantity)
The research from the manufacturers is based on a 21 day period between doses......AND interestingly (or not, depending on your point of view) they do not KNOW if it will stop transmission of the virus....and that is what they pin their hopes on.....neither do they know if it will protect you from the virus....you MAY still get it, but be less sick....but they are not sure.
They are not sure how long any immunity will last either.
But JVT says it is safe to have one dose followed by a three month gap.....why do I not feel reassured by his prognostications.
one thing i do know is me and her in the kitchen will be back at bingo when we are allowed to do so. that must mean i actually know more than they do.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:50   #1539
Beacon of light

after reading a bit more on this story about the reassurances from the Deputy MOH...JVT...it appears this decision is not his, but comes from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation....Jonathan Van Tham is just endorsing their recommendations.
I am not sure whether this makes the decision better or worse.

All I do know is that it will further erode the trust in what information we are being fed with.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:30   #1540
Beacon of light

now I know I am a cynical old baggage, but this all smacks of a government box ticking exercise...nothing at all to do with protecting the elderly because the elderly are disposable...and suitable for use as lab rats(they have verly little other use).
The government want to be able to shout from all the popular MSM platforms...LOOK at US....we have vaccinated five million(or ten million or however many they think will impress)people....The Cavalry are here...come to Rescue you.

I do not trust any of it.
taddy and monkey hanger like this.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:43   #1541

Still being annoyed at the demeaning statement made by Van Tham, I thought I'd write a few lines of verse - not actually in the league of Browning or Burns, but am sharing it with you anyway.

The words that were uttered by the man called Van Tham
Shows that he knows nothing about me or of what I am
When I say ‘me’ I include people of age
Those who have lived through many a page
Pages of life’s happenings, of the good and the bad
Of those happy times and some that were sad
Our bodies might not be as they were before
Marathon running has gone out the door
But our brains are still ticking, intelligence strong
So Mr Van Tham you have it all wrong
Yes we play Bingo but I have to confess
It might surprise you to know some of us even play Chess.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:14   #1542
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Our bodies might not be as they were before
Marathon running has gone out the door
But our brains are still ticking, intelligence strong
So Mr Van Tham you have it all wrong
Yes we play Bingo but I have to confess
It might surprise you to know some of us even play Chess.
add to that its not us oldies that miss numbers at bingo its the young uns. plus i know of 2 well over 70 year olds that play 12 books at a time and non of the new fangled electronic ones either. your brain needs to be sponsored by gilette or wilkinsons to do that i assure you.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:53   #1543
God Member

Another politician’s promise...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F58B66D8-75B5-45F4-BCA9-2F47DC9693EC.jpeg (229.1 KB, 9 views)
DaveinGermany likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:24   #1544
Beacon of light

Oh Exile...please don't.
I am ready to put a shilling in the gas as it is.

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity

I am at the bottom of a pit of despair....

Hopes are pinned on the vaccinations, but they do not know if the vaccine will prevent transmission....and they cannot be sure if it will prevent you from catching the virus...BUT...they THINK if you do catch the virus then it will be a milder form of the illness.
This for a virus that has a survival rate of 99.2%
Old 05-01-2021, 14:13   #1545

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1248766]Oh Exile...please don't.
I am ready to put a shilling in the gas as it is.

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity

I am at the bottom of a pit of despair....

Marge, I think that I may have said this before but never mind, all good things are worth repeating.
If ever you are in despair and you think that the bottom is falling out of your world, then drink three or four pints of Real Ale a day and the world will simply fall out of your bottom.
Stay happy, dont despair,we both hopefully have another decade or two left in us.(seriously).
Regards, Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..