Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2021, 08:37   #1696
God Member

Re: Corona Virus

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1251917]

The excuse for this was that they were ‘doing their duty, upholding Covid rules’.

there seems to be no one policing the actions of the police....and it seems like they are free to interpret laws on the statute books however they wish.

unless you drive a car or attend big events most people never come into contact with the police. there is a good possibility that since the virus its their first interaction they have had with them. what they have seen is a total black is black approach with no grey area. all basically speaking in some pre rehersed speach and singing from the same hymn book. even when committing a minor say speeding offence it will vary from officer to officer what they will do. doubt the police and the law in general will be looked at in the same light once this is all over. 200 pound fines for drinking coffee on a park bench but only 80 quid for some scum that attempted to drown a dog by tying a rock round it and chucking it in the river. possibly less because they wore a face muzzle when doing it.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-03-2021, 08:44   #1697
Beacon of light

More worrying still was the BLM demonstrations in The capital.
This demonstration also involved large numbers of people demonstration....

That should read demonstrating rather than demonstration...my device thinks it knows better than me!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 08:51   #1698
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
as far as im concerned nothing wrong with peaceful protests, but NOT during a Pandemic simple as.

Cashy, that is all well and good...but once they have allowed demonstrations to go ahead in the middle of the pandemic...they have set a precedent and it can be seen as being less than impartial.
It shows that there is no equality...that BLM, but Female lives do not....there have been no rises in infection rates as a result of these open air protests...and it really does smack of a Police State mentality...where the police do the deciding on who can and who cannot be allowed to demonstrate.
That can never be a good thing.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 24-03-2021, 08:51   #1699

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1251918]There is no evidence that there was a rise in the number of infections that was caused by these demonstrations.
posts by me I have posted numerous pieces of evidence which is science based to back up my claims.

I have been less active on here of late because I felt that I had said all that was relevant....so now I will go back to my retreat.

OK Marge, just don't retreat to far.
Regards, The Luddite..
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 09:23   #1700
God Member

wonder when there will be a demonsration for the most subdued and less thought of section of our community. white middle aged and older men.
Old 24-03-2021, 09:58   #1701
Beacon of light

all I would say to you on that score is...don't go holding your breath!
I do not get the demonisation for something that you cannot choose...your gender(though of course there are some out there that THINK you can choose that) your age or your colour.

I suppose you could always tell people that you identify as a man of colour(or is that phrase offensive now, too?)
Old 24-03-2021, 11:16   #1702

Slightly off topic but over the last few months I have discovered that for half the population face masks do have a commendable attribute.

Its always good to get the supermarket out of the way early in the morning while its quiet. With a face mask you can go before you shave and not feel quilty. Secondly the stubble helps to keep the mask in place. Then you can go home and breakfast and shave in peace and at your own rate.
cashman likes this.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 11:29   #1703
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thats exactly what i do lol although ive started going about 7-45 ish now cos there are no tills until 8-00
Old 24-03-2021, 11:29   #1704
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Walker View Post
Slightly off topic but over the last few months I have discovered that for half the population face masks do have a commendable attribute.

Its always good to get the supermarket out of the way early in the morning while its quiet. With a face mask you can go before you shave and not feel quilty. Secondly the stubble helps to keep the mask in place. Then you can go home and breakfast and shave in peace and at your own rate.
or like i do nip into B and M just after it opens on a saturday morning with no one else in and you can pull your mask down without any confrontations.
Old 24-03-2021, 16:41   #1705
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
honestly think thats a load of crap dave.

And that, my friend is your opinion & choice. I'll not argue the point with you, but let's see what happens in the not to distant future when this ruling goes through as it inevitably will looking at the numbers.
Old 25-03-2021, 13:02   #1706
God Member

Looks like some ‘laws’ are not quite what the police and others believe them to be!

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/202...r-of-lockdown/

100% failure rate in court prosecutions under the Coronavirus Act.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 13:24   #1707
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

courts are a complete joke anyway these days have been for a good few years now. imho.
Old 25-03-2021, 18:54   #1708
Beacon of light

It is not courts that make laws...only governments do that....it is not courts who decide whether a prosecution should proceed...it is the CPS.
Courts are limited by proscribed sentences.....and who sets those...well, I will give you a clue..it isn't the courts.
Old 26-03-2021, 07:56   #1709
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

well aware of that but judges tend to give minimum sentences, fact they are all out of touch with decent folk. here is a lot wrong with the system i know. and to me LABOUR have been the biggest contributors to that.
Old 26-03-2021, 08:33   #1710
God Member

Quote:
well aware of that but judges tend to give minimum sentences, fact they are all out of touch with decent folk. here is a lot wrong with the system i know. and to me LABOUR have been the biggest contributors to that.
main problem is the different sentences that are handed out for similar offences. if you have to rely on legal aid i can imagine youre chances of getting off stuff is far less than if you have an unlimited supply of money to throw at your case. as the late MP gerald nabarro once said, british justice is the best in the world as long as you can afford it.
cashman likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..