Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2020, 06:11   #256
Beacon of light

Re: Corona Virus

I would need more information to give you an answer on that....like how prevalent is this symptom? is it just present in some cases? What kind of patients is this symptom seen in(age, gender, health status)
Are the cases it is seen in complicated by other health issues.
I have been out of the NHS for quite a while, but continue to have an interest in medical matters....if I find the answers I will let you know.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2020, 06:18   #257
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Walker View Post
Just had a news-letter from Tesco that contains :-

----

Also yesterday, we began work on our first dedicated NHS Nightingale Hospital pop-up store, at the NEC in Birmingham. We’ll provide NHS staff with on-site 24-hour access to the food and household products they need. Construction at the NEC started on Sunday and we aim to be open by the end of next week – so it’s all hands on deck. We’re in late-stage discussions with other Nightingale sites, and hope that this is the first of several pop-up Tesco stores that will help the NHS staff in those hospitals.

----
That looks very close to your suggestion.
Yes, it does look mighty close to my suggestion.
A step in the right direction.

Booths in Preston refused to serve a member of the NHS recently....she was shopping in uniform.
Now back in the day we were supposed to change out of uniform when we left the hospital, unless we had a full length coat to cover our uniform.
This was aimed at preventing cross infection.

In the current circumstance, NO member of NHS staff should be out shopping in the clothes they wear for duty.
These clothes should be left to be laundered by the hospital at the end of each shift.
cashman likes this.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:32   #258
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I would need more information to give you an answer on that....like how prevalent is this symptom? is it just present in some cases? What kind of patients is this symptom seen in(age, gender, health status)
Are the cases it is seen in complicated by other health issues.
I have been out of the NHS for quite a while, but continue to have an interest in medical matters....if I find the answers I will let you know.

Thanks for that Margaret I just asked because that’s the first I have seen that blood clotting was a complication with Coronavirus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:49   #259
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
A question for you Margaret; being a former NHS worker, (Dr. David Lloyd on early ITV news this morning reported that another problem with the coronavirus was blood coagulation causing clotting) is this a normal complication with other forms of influencer
I think what this Doctor was discussing was a condition known as Disseminated Itravascular Coagulation.(though I did not see the interview)
This is a complicating factor in many severe illnesses, Injury or trauma of any description can cause this condition to occur.
So I guess that it could arise from a very severe influenza....except that during a time of winter flu, because the situation is not a pandemic, you would not hear anything about it...you would just hear that someone had died from flu.

Around 13,000 deaths occur each year from the winter flu....and this is in spite of vaccinating those considered to be vulnerable....this figure rarely makes the news in the way Covid-19 has...and again this is because it is a pandemic.

I have said throughout this thread....it is a serious infection, but it needs to be seen in dispassionate terms and without all the journalistic hyperbole....the scary language that reports contain....that it is a killer, with no cure
Yes, it has the ability to kill, but then so do many other infections....it has no cure, but then neither does the common cold or the winter flu.

Many more people may have had it or have got it and are suffering only mild or even no symptoms.

The panic that has ensued and engulfed the health service has largely been manufactured.

The lack of ability to test has meant that we cannot accurately determine exactly the size of the problem.

The WHO advice was to 'test, test, test' yet this advice has been largely ignored.
Germany is doing something in the order of ten thousand tests every day....other places are testing so they have a better idea where the viral hot spots are.

Accybeme, I hope this answers your question satisfactorily.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:17   #260
Beacon of light

In my 30 year career I only saw this condition on three occasions.
Once as a complication in pregnancy and the other times were in cases of advanced and inoperable cancer.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:23   #261
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;

I have said throughout this thread....it is a serious infection, but it needs to be seen in dispassionate terms and without all the journalistic hyperbole....the scary language that reports contain....that it is a killer, with no cure
Yes, it has the ability to kill, but then so do many other infections....it has no cure, but then neither does the common cold or the winter flu.

when we all get back to normal i imagine that there will be plenty like me who will have a little chuckle. we all know those whose major talking point in there illnesses and their weekly use of their season ticket to the doctors that week. whats the betting once we meet these types again is that they,d had the virus. if the reporting had been toned down more than a little the hypocondriacts might have been more immune.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:11   #262
God Member

Hi Margaret, our uniform policy as of last week (our policies are changing daily) we can go to work in our uniforms but MUST change into our civvies before leaving the ward so as not to take any sort of infection out into public areas with us.

Our usual policy was we could wear it to work and home but we must not be seen to be wearing it to go shopping or in a pub

Hope you are all safe and well and weathering the storm safely x
cashman likes this.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:01   #263
Beacon of light

Thank you for that update Flashy.
It is good to know that this issue has been addressed.
It was always that you could not be seen out in your uniform unless it was fully covered.
Hope you are well Flashy and your big boy too...stay well, stay safe stay sane.
Live cheerful not fearful.
Old 07-04-2020, 13:17   #264
God Member

Reece (now 23) like the majority has had his workplace closed down until everything gets back to normal, both Anthony and i work on the same ward and havent got any cases of covid-19 as yet, the hospital is in a constant battle to do the best for everyone, the guys on the frontline are doing an amazing job and we as staff are all thankfull to them for that
cashman likes this.
Old 07-04-2020, 13:35   #265
Beacon of light

Flashy....I cannot believe your little boy is all grown up!
Where did the time go eh?
I bet you ask yourself that daily.
Flashy I hope you do not get any on your ward(or is that hoping for too much)
I know from what I have seen that you all do an amazing job.
Keep up the good work....and my personal thanks to all who work so very hard to keep us well and restore us when we are ill.
cashman likes this.
Old 07-04-2020, 13:54   #266
Beacon of light

Sheila Oakes, the Labour Mayor of Heanor has said on social media 'Boris completely deserves this'.
She has since apologised, but she is a terrible woman to wish this on anyone.
There are people who say that this crisis is making people kinder.....is this an example of this.
All I can say is 'Karma, Ms Oakes....and she will decide what kind it is you get'
Gremlin and monkey hanger like this.
Old 07-04-2020, 15:58   #267
Full Member+

Margaret, considering what you have written in your last post, should you not now review your post about Barnier in post 96 ?

Just a thought.
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 16:43   #268
Beacon of light

The difference here Reamer is that I am NOT a Labour Mayor.
That this woman makes such jibes purely because Boris Johnson belongs to a party she does not like....being a Mayor means you are subject to constraints.

So, thank you for your advice, but pardon me if I decline.
Old 07-04-2020, 16:45   #269
Beacon of light

By the way Reamer...I did not wish him dead...I just wished for his recovery to be as long and arduous as our negotiations with this man...a bit of a difference I think.
Old 07-04-2020, 16:52   #270
Full Member+

There is no difference. Your quote of the Mayor of Heanor did not say she wished Boris dead either and, as you also say, she did have , at least, the good grace to apologise for her horrid comments.
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..