Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2020, 11:57   #286
Full Member+

Re: Corona Virus

Went out cycling this morning (without mask) and it was noticeable that traffic levels are creeping up. Probably the highest I've seen since the lockdown. Are people getting restless ? Easter weekend could be a pointer.
On the bright side, the air is cleaner than it has been for yonks.
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-04-2020, 13:14   #287
Beacon of light

I think it might have been that folk are getting in their food for the Easter weekend.
Aldi and Lidl car parks were noticeably busier from 8 am.
If folk can't go out they might as well have something good to chow down on.

Aldi have some very upmarket style Easter eggs for 2.99...they were 4.99.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 13:21   #288

OK I’ve just come back from my weekly shopping trip. BUT I’ve got a problem which seems to be getting worse. I’ve got a psychosomatic itch which develops almost as soon as I leave the supermarket. Its happened every time since the week before the formal lockdown started and its got worse every time. As you would expect Its exactly where you do not want to touch your face, on the top lip just underneath the nose. On previous journeys I’ve just managed to grin and put up with it but not this time. It was so bad it threatened to affect my driving so I just had to stop and tear out a small bit of someone’s hedge and then use the end I had not touched to scratch it. That go me half way home and then it came back again!

HELP and I mean this seriously does anyone know of any trick, technique or what ever that can moderate, prevent or alleviate a psychosomatic itch?
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 13:33   #289
Beacon of light

I'm not sure if something like loratadine(Claritin) would help.
It is a simple non drowsy anti histamine.
You would probably need to take it a couple of hours before a supermarket visit.

I noticed today that there is a lot of blossom out....and when I got home my eyes were itching and I have had several bouts of sneezing....my temperature is normal and I have no cough or sore throat.
Old 09-04-2020, 13:43   #290

Thanks MP, yes the Hay Fever season has started and yes I suffer from it but never like this. Sudden sneezes, runny eyes, etc but not skin itches. The timing alone is enough to indicate its psycosomatic rather than physical. Never the less I will try your suggestion ASAP.
Old 09-04-2020, 13:54   #291
Beacon of light

I hope it works for you.....if you go to a chemists ask for the Loratidine, being a generic it is cheaper and the bioavailabilty(the effectiveness) is 100%.
Another one is Cetirizine...also non drowsy(trade name Zirtek)...also cheaper if you do not buy the branded version.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:04   #292
God Member

with the hay fever season starting some people are affected by their breathing as well as other stuff. could be a case of them thinking its the virus and not hay fever they regularly get.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:09   #293
Beacon of light

It also seems that if you DO suffer from Hay Fever then you must take your meds as Hay Fever MAY mean you are at increased risk of getting the infection.
The operative word here is MAY.

Normally you do not get a high temperature with Hay Fever, or digestive symptoms or muscle pain....so thes are definitive factors.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:10   #294
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1239016]I think it might have been that folk are getting in their food for the Easter weekend.

were they all in a queue 2 metres apart outside, two metres from each other at the checkout but inbetween walking past each other a couple of feet away in the aisles. it really makes perfect sense to a thick north easterner like me.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:48   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
There are only certain masks that will give adequate protection.(they need to conform to the contours of your face)
Once a mask gets moist from exhaled breath it becomes permeable to bacteria and viruses and care needs to be taken when removing masks and disposing of them.

But it is whatever the individual feels is right for them. I have absolutely no objections to people wearing a mask for their protection.
We are taking supplemental vitamin C and D....it is what we take every winter.
We usually stop taking these the weekend the clocks go forward, but this year we have continued.

I have also been gargling with listerine night and morning...it is only a precaution....and there is nothing to say it is effective.
At the first sign of a cold, a tickle in the nose or throat, I always gargle with T.C.P. one tea spoon to five tea spoons of water; my G.P. prescribes antibiotics and steroids for emergency use as I have suffered from C.O.P.D. for more than thirty years; in the last three years since using T.C.P. at the start of a cough or cold I have not had to take the emergency medication.
As a bonus it also works (neat), on ferret bites !
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:50   #296

It does take a bottle or two of Hobgoblin to get shut of the taste.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:00   #297
Beacon of light

Yes, the taste of TCP is not pleasant.....in my nursing times we called it Tom Cat Pee.

I have no underlying health issues(that I know of...but I give medical practitioner a very wide berth) and during the flu season I use a listerine mouthwash to gargle with(it is the one with Alcohol and Chlorhexidine).
During this crisis I have been doing this each morning and at bedtime
Old 10-04-2020, 10:03   #298
Beacon of light

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1239052]
Quote:
I think it might have been that folk are getting in their food for the Easter weekend.

were they all in a queue 2 metres apart outside, two metres from each other at the checkout but inbetween walking past each other a couple of feet away in the aisles. it really makes perfect sense to a thick north easterner like me.

They made us stand two metres apart outside......and two metres apart at the checkout, but yes, you are right there is very little ability to social distance while going round the store...so it is a nonsense...but if it makes people feel safer...then, so be it.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:15   #299
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1239056]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post

They made us stand two metres apart outside......and two metres apart at the checkout, but yes, you are right there is very little ability to social distance while going round the store...so it is a nonsense...but if it makes people feel safer...then, so be it.
when i went tesco on tuesday went to get some tomaoes there was a right dickhead there, i stood my distance from this knob he got his tomatoes then got his mobile out and rang his wife up. stayed blocking my acess for approx 5 mins,this was not a kid he looked about mid 30s to me, when he rang off i said are you thick or what, he asked me what i said, so i repeated it, he then decided to move pretty quickly.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:26   #300

Quote:

Somewhat more strict at my last supermarket visit. The couple in front of me in the incoming queue were separated she was provided with a trolley, he was not allowed in. One of the 'plastic trolley collecting huts' in the car park contained a group of children (obviously siblings) being guarded by a member of staff, I assume they had not been allowed in to the store with the shopper to whom they belonged. Also numbers in the store were limited one in, one out with the maximum being something like 2 to each bay + 2 to each checkout. Also a defined one way route through the store.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..