Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2020, 11:02   #301
God Member

Re: Corona Virus

[QUOTE=Hill Walker; Also a defined one way route through the store.[/QUOTE]

now that does make sense.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-04-2020, 13:03   #302

Re the itch, can you train your hands so that only the right is used to touch stuff and the left for your face? or use your arm and not your hand?

I have similar itches on my face and am purposely only using my left hand to touch it now.
Also, can you get any gloves or hand cleanser?
Perhaps keep a bottle of water with some bleach in it in the car boot, along with another bottle of water and some paper towels.
That way you can wash then rinse your hands then dry them before actually getting in the car.

I have some hand cleanser in mine, as soon as I open the door I cleanse my hands AND the door handle & steering wheel, also the sanitizer bottle.

The direction arrows in Asda are a total farce, yesterday among all the other people ignoring them there was a woman with a trolley and a double buggy, it seemed that she was intent on ignoring every single one.

While you can explain to the stupid how not to be stupid, they are often too stupid to understand you.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 13:15   #303
Beacon of light

Better than bleach and kinder to the skin is tea tree oil or lavender oil.....twenty drops in half a pint of water. Shaken before application.
This can be used to sanitise hands or any hard surface, both of these are anti-viral and antibacterial.....you can put a small amount into a cupped palm and rub it all over back and front of the hands and rub until they are dry.(it takes only a short time)...you then need no paper towels, or wipes.

I use this, but have it in a micro spray bottle (a recycled hair treatment bottle...I guess any small spray would work) so that I do not waste the stuff.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 10-04-2020 at 13:18.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 00:23   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
Re the itch, can you train your hands so that only the right is used to touch stuff and the left for your face? or use your arm and not your hand?

Many thanks for that suggestion. I probably could train myself to do that but not within a sensible period of time, my tendancy to do things on auto-pilot is too strong.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 00:50   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Better than bleach and kinder to the skin is tea tree oil or lavender oil.....twenty drops in half a pint of water. Shaken before application.
This can be used to sanitise hands or any hard surface, both of these are anti-viral and antibacterial.....you can put a small amount into a cupped palm and rub it all over back and front of the hands and rub until they are dry.(it takes only a short time)...you then need no paper towels, or wipes.

Many thanks Margaret. I am already doing this (and a little more) but using TCP as the active ingredient, it was the only material I already had that has any anti-viral properties. I have always tried to treat this virus with the respect it deserves as I am beyond my 'best before' date and tick some other risk boxes as well. If I had any doubts they would have evaporated the other day when a near neighbour came home from hospital. He had battled the virus at home for a couple of weeks before the pneumonia started and he was put on medication. After another few days his condition deteriorated and he was admitted to hospital for three or four days. Returning home he appeared to have lost several stones in weight and be about 30 years older, in fact he appeared to be in a state for which you would normally call an ambulance. He's only about 50 and was fit as a fiddle.
Old 11-04-2020, 00:56   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
now that does make sense.

Personally I preferred the corralling of the children in the car park shelter.
Old 11-04-2020, 07:18   #307
Beacon of light

Hill Walker, you have to do what works for you...what you are comfortable with.
Many of the precautions(apart from social distancing) are what I use during the Winter flu season.

I think that there has been much reliance on the possibility that this would only afffect the 'crumblies in the tin'.....anyone can get it.....as experience has shown.

This is uncharted water, I know, but I think it could have been managed better.

We STILL have open borders with planes still landing....no checks made on the passengers....like where did your journey start?
Have you visited any of these places (virus hotspots listed)
And probably most vital....temperature checks.
Anyone found to have a temperature should then be isolated away from the general population.
All academic now....but the way forward is to test the population.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:30   #308
God Member

one for hill walker. know years ago i had a long time girlfriend who had a similar condition as your itching that seemed to be brought on by bright sunlight. she was a typical fair skinned blond and used to cover her face and hands in TCP finding it was the only thing that helped her. luckily for both of us neither disliked the smell of it.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 13:07   #309
God Member

Why do we have to trawl the internet and go to self-funded, non-mainstream web sites to find someone asking reasonable questions?

https://facts4eu.org/news/2020_apr_covid_and_flu

I’m sure it’s not just because the TV, radio, and newspapers have a vested interest in keeping us all like frightened children, hiding behind the sofa, watching, listening, or reading their 24/7 diet of doom and gloom.
Surely not?
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 13:28   #310
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thing is though what we dont know? flu deaths are certainly higher. but we have a vaccine for it, it dont stipulate how many of those deaths from flu had no flu jab? so what does it really mean?
Old 12-04-2020, 13:29   #311
Beacon of light

My next door neighbour is a young mum...she has been both terrified and traumatised by the incessant reporting withou the insight of perspective.
She was unaware of the numbers who die from winter flu each year.
We had a long conversation the other evening(separated by ten feet of crazy paved front garden - don't want plod telling me I am breaking the law...which is NOT law at all).
She said that once we had talked she felt better because she did not know much of the stuff I had told her...she asked 'why are the papers and the TV channels not telling us all this?'

I told her that it was not on their agenda to do so....to control a population, you instil fear(real or manufactured) and then ride in to the rescue...then you get a malleable grateful population who think they have been 'Saved'
Old 12-04-2020, 13:39   #312
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thing is though what we dont know? flu deaths are certainly higher. but we have a vaccine for it, it dont stipulate how many of those deaths from flu had no flu jab? so what does it really mean?

Yes, we DO have a vaccine...but that this may be only effective in 30% of cases is not trumpeted to the population.

All influenza type viruses mutate, and the vaccines are created from the most prevalent strain from the previous winter in Australia.

Add to that many of those who have died in this pandemic have not died from the virus...they have died WITH it.
Many of them had pre existing conditions so the coronavirus was a co-morbidity issue.....Winter flu is the same...it may not kill on its own but if you have an underlying illness then you will be more susceptible and your chance of dying with it is greater...BUT if you had not had the underlying illness yuo could well have survived.

Yes...there have been those who were well who have succumbed and we are told that they had no other illness...what that means is a bit different..it means that the had no been DIAGNOSED with an underlying illness...that does not mean they did not have one.

the press telling us about those who were well and have died is to keep the well amonst us...worried.

This condition is serious...and please do not think I am saying other than this....I am not.
But all life has risks...it is up to you how you want to deal with those risks.
Old 12-04-2020, 13:51   #313
Beacon of light

the true impact of the corona virus will only be evident when it all dies down.....how many deaths will be caused by despair and poverty through people having no jobs, losing their homes. losing their livelihoods, by health and mental health issues...these will be caused by the virus indirectly.

Western economies(all of them) will be destroyed for a long time...while China will hoover up the opportunities that we will be too impoverished to follow.
Old 12-04-2020, 13:53   #314
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

may only be 30% may be a bit more or less? my point is simple we never know how many of those deaths did use the flu jab.
Old 12-04-2020, 16:09   #315
God Member

For the first time ever I took up the offer of a flu jab last autumn.
Over Xmess, again for the first time, I had flu, or at least something much more than just a cold (persistent dry cough, lots of snot, feeling very yucky for a week).
If it happened now, I’m sure I’d be told I had the symptoms of Covid-19.

An epidemiology team from Oxford University, in contradiction to the one at Imperial College London that has ‘captured’ the Government and media with its doomsday predictions of 500,000 deaths in this country, suggests this virus has been in the UK since November. So maybe I did have Covid-19, or maybe it was just one of many flu viruses flying around.

The puzzle to me is that, in the first week of January this year 2141 people died of or with respiratory diseases. For the next ten weeks the figure slowly declined to 1557. But no-one was looking or testing for Covid-19, so not one of these deaths was attributed to that virus in that period.
However, by the week ending 27th March, there were still 1534 deaths, but suddenly 539 are down to Covid-19.
So hundreds of deaths are now being attributed to Covid-19, and yet the total number of monthly deaths has not massively increased!

It may yet, of course, but, for now, I remain unconvinced that the ‘cure’ being enforced on everyone will not be as bad or even worse in the long run than the disease.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..