Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-07-2020, 09:38   #586
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Corona Virus

I think the mask situation has come about because early in the pandemic the NHS was ridiculously short of PPE, so to relieve the situation a little it was 'arranged' with 'experts' to say that face masks would be of little use to prevent Joe public dashing out and doing a toilet roll type panic buy.
Now the situation is nearer to a controlled disaster the Government has introduced a law that probably should have been brought in at the very beginning, but now for some it's too late, we just don't want to be restricted the way we have been without asking the question why?
My why? Is why introduce this law now but somehow I don't expect a clear and honest answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
and sod the best before dates even on toilet rolls.
It may be adventurous but I think you should be careful about that or one morning mid constitutional the world falls apart on you and you are left covered in ....
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-07-2020, 09:46   #587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have today, been speaking to the staff in shops and have been assured that if I can identify as having a problem that means wearing a face mask is not possible....I will not be required to wear one. You do not need confirmation from a doctor and you do not need to disclose your medical issue.
So I will be making myself a badge that tells everyone I am exempt....and I will take it from there.

Ok Marge, you have a right to self expression as we all do. as you are an ex senior sister in the N.H.S. I think that the above comment is at the very least well out of line;please do not give the youngsters who think nothing of breaking the lockdown rules another excuse to do as they want. my wife has made masks for many vulnerable people and shewears them herself. when you were a ward sister you would expect your advice to be taken by the patients otherwise there be no point in giving the advice in the first place.
You may be well up on medical matters but remember that no one even you knows it all
Stay Masked, Stay Happy, Your's Taddy
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 10:24   #588
Beacon of light

Taddy, you take me to task about my post...and that is your right to do that.
However, it does not change my opinion.

Please point me to the post where i tell you that i know it all....I would be very interested in reading it.

If you and your good lady feel safer in wearing a face covering then...do what makes you feel comfortable. and well done for supplying others that feel they need to do this to be comfortable

I do not feel comfortable wearing a mask for a number of reasons...may of which I have already expressed.
I am not asking anyone to follow my lead or do what I do....and I do not like you to think that this is my aim.

You mention that as a ward sister I would expect people to take my advice and that is true to an extent, but it was just that ADVICE....I was not in a position to force this on anyone.

I know that masks may make you feel safer but in reality they do not protect you from the germs/bacteria/micro-organisms that other people breathe out.
The masks that you can buy are unsuitable for the prevention of the spread of viruses(they are much smaller than other pathogens).
They may foster a deleuded sense of safety when in fact they actualy increase the risk of passing on bugs.....you may find that people touch their faces more, they may not handle the disposal of these correctly and contaminate their hands....but that is alright as you have used hand sanitiser..of course you have.

After fifteen minutes the average mask will be moist and loaded with your exhaled pathogens....which you will re-breathe...the moist mask will no longer be any kind of barrier to other pathogens in the air...so you will very likely be breathing on stuff that you would rather not...putting your respiratory system at risk.

I have observed the rules this far, when others have not. I object to being nannied by the state.
I take my health very seriously and do everything in my power to stay fit.

so thank you for your concern, but I will not be wearing a mask...

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 17-07-2020 at 10:26.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 11:29   #589
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
My why? Is why introduce this law now but somehow I don't expect a clear and honest answer.

Less..Blessed is he who expects nothing...he will never know disappointment.

There is money to be made out of the manufacture of masks...the government have identified factories to make 5 million of them per week so they have to have someone to sell them to...might profit be a motive too?
Just asking!
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 17-07-2020, 11:48   #590
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

have to say i agree 100% with taddy, if you encourge any young uns to ignore its too many. they are daft enough to start with many of em. best way to me would have been keep yer gob shut imho.
Old 17-07-2020, 12:38   #591
Beacon of light

that is OK Cashy, but I did not think I had that much influence.
How many young people do you think read this stuff?

I would hazard a guess at not many and how many would take one jot of notice...fewer still??
Cashy you know me...I tell it how I see it.
That does not mean you need to subscribe to my view of things...I feel that people should chew the information before they swallow it down whole....take the bones out.

There has been no consistency right from the start....how can it be safe to go sit in a pub?...no mask required...how safe can it be to be out for a restaurant meal?...again no mask required.....yet a short shopping visit with the precautions that have been taken since the 24th of March is now considered more hazardous.
This in spite of the falling levels of infections in many areas( well except Blackburn and Pendle...where other factors are at play)

Do you really think the government are concerned with our welfare? they are concerned only with covering their backsides...and an independent review will show(at some point in the future) that errors of judgement were made by those in high places...but will they carry the can? Of course they won't.

If they had any concerns for the safety of the general public, then on the 24th of March border regulations would have been put in place to prevent millions of people flying to this country with not a single health check...the virus was imported because they were inept in dealing with border issues.
They could find all this money to pay furlough, but they could not put in place regulations that would not permit travellers to land without considering where they had been, or where they had come from and making sure that they were safe by quarantining visitors.
You are going to tell me that this would have been too difficult to manage.....but things are going to get a lot harder and WE are going to be paying for these mistakes for a long time.

Legislation was brought in which means they can make any damn thing mandatory on a whim, with no debate.....does this not worry you? this authoritarian stance?
If your answer is 'No' then I worry for the country.

As for keeping my gob shut...well, What a damn boring life it would be if those who held different opinions kept their gobs shut.
My posts are measured and considered, they have thought put into them...but if this doesn't meet with everyones approval I cannot be responsible for how they are perceived.
Everyone is responsible for how they see their bit of the world...from where I sit it is a damn mess.
Old 17-07-2020, 13:19   #592
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

it is a damn mess no doubt at all.but we will have to disagree on this margaret, there are quite a few of the younger generation read this that i know of, as for if they would take note, i have no idea, so to me therefore it aint a good thing.
Old 17-07-2020, 13:27   #593
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
here are quite a few of the younger generation read this that i know of, as for if they would take note, i have no idea, so to me therefore it aint a good thing.
Wish you could persuade them not just to read but also to post.
taddy and monkey hanger like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 13:29   #594
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Wish you could persuade them not just to read but also to post.
have mentioned to a couple they prefer facebook.
Old 17-07-2020, 15:00   #595
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
it is a damn mess no doubt at all.but we will have to disagree on this margaret, there are quite a few of the younger generation read this that i know of, as for if they would take note, i have no idea, so to me therefore it aint a good thing.
I am sure my influence has the impact of a midge bite on the hide of an elephant.
The young people do not come here for views....well, so few as to be negligible.....and why would they take notice of what I post?

What I have posted is factual

There are people out there who are going to stay in their homes because they cannot face wearing a face covering.....it is in the press, easy to find, that if you have a medical condition, you need not wear a mask.
Many of these will not have access to the internet so I will not be influencing them....I am not influencing you....or Taddy.....so what is your beef?

Those who want to wear a mask can/will do so...if it makes them feel safer.

Cashy, as I said previously I do not post without thinking about what I am posting and I have given my rationale for my stance. I am honest in my posting.
I tell it like it is, but with moderation.

I can do no more than that.
Old 17-07-2020, 15:02   #596
Beacon of light

Having said all that Cashy...I respect your views....Taddy's also, so I will not be looking to leg you up if I see you out and about
I can live with our difference of opinion and hope that you can too.
cashman and taddy like this.
Old 17-07-2020, 15:08   #597
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

not a problem at all.
Old 17-07-2020, 15:12   #598
Beacon of light

Really glad about that Cashy(not that I thought you would be anything other than you always are)
You are a good egg!
cashman likes this.
Old 17-07-2020, 17:14   #599
God Member

Here’s an alternative statistical view to the self-serving doomsayers of PHE and SAGE, which you will not see, hear, or read about anywhere in the MSM.

https://hectordrummond.com/2020/07/1...ropping-graph/
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 17:30   #600
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

i have always been of opinion that many deaths sad as they are are NOT COVID. ok they had it but they have put it down to covid for ease.it does to me save a lot of work and they were flat out.
taddy and monkey hanger like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..