Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-03-2020, 03:30   #76
Full Member+

Re: Corona Virus

I spotted a stall on the outside market in Accrington selling 6 rolls of toilet roll for £6.99, meanwhile in Aldi two of our muslim brothers were seen trying to buy 10 packs each of 12 toilet rolls only to be told there was a limit of 4 units per person.....
Old 18-03-2020, 07:11   #77
Beacon of light

There are signs all over Aldi about the maximum purchase of items....so they obviously can't read...or think it does not apply to them
monkey hanger likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 11:53   #78
God Member

According to a map on a website a few days ago (can’t find it now), outside of London, Hampshire, where we currently live, had/has the most confirmed Covid-19 cases in the U.K. It was about 53, which represented 0.003% of the population. In Lancashire confirmed cases equated to 0.0005% of the population.

We have been asking everyone we know whether or not they know of anyone, or know someone who knows someone who knows anyone who has been confirmed with this virus. So far it’s been zero.

Just out of interest, does anyone on here know anyone who’s been confirmed with Covid-19?
I mean actually know them, not just read about someone on their phone or computer who they don’t know.
monkey hanger likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 12:28   #79

For the first time in over a week I have just been to the supermarket. An almost completely surreal experience. The first thing odd thing happened when I went to get a trolly. I had just got hold of one when a man dressed like a bank robber (combat fatigues, cap, face mask etc) rushed up to me and said “that’s my trolly - I just put it there!”. As this made little sense I just stood there for a second trying to process this comment in some way. He repeated “Its my trolly - I want it back - don’t you understand!!”. I released the trolly and took one from the next row. Strange!

Inside the supermarket things were much as expected, pain killers, nappies, baby food, hand washing gels, etc, etc all stripped bare. Didn’t really expect to find tea, coffee, crisps, eggs and baked beans totally stripped bare but they were. Washing powder and similar, bleach and toilet cleaner - stripped bare, Puzzled as to why the drain cleaners and un-blockers were also stripped bare, also the air freshners. Not surprised the pasta shelves were stripped bare but puzzled as to why the equally long life rice products were untouched. Annoyingly the milk area was stripped bare - going to have to try my other supermarket as this was on my need to get list as I only had about 100ml left. Obviously the supermarket is not expecting toilet rolls anytime soon, the entire bay has been filled with Easter Eggs, this could cause some confusion. Overheard a member of staff being asked where the nappies were, the reply - “And the next joke is”.

Went to the other supermarket (smaller, same firm, different town). Milk - no problem, full shelves but restricted to 2 per customer. Actually managed to complete my list of items.

Slowly coming to the conclusion that maybe this virus like pregnancy causes strange cravings.
AccyMad likes this.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 13:31   #80
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
According to a map on a website a few days ago (can’t find it now), outside of London, Hampshire, where we currently live, had/has the most confirmed Covid-19 cases in the U.K. It was about 53, which represented 0.003% of the population. In Lancashire confirmed cases equated to 0.0005% of the population.

We have been asking everyone we know whether or not they know of anyone, or know someone who knows someone who knows anyone who has been confirmed with this virus. So far it’s been zero.

Just out of interest, does anyone on here know anyone who’s been confirmed with Covid-19?
I mean actually know them, not just read about someone on their phone or computer who they don’t know.
I do not know of anyone who has been confirmed to be suffering from Covid19....but my daughter's sixteen year old son was sent home from school yesterday because he had a low grade temperature and had coughed a couple of times.
His sister was removed from her class and also sent home.
Their Dad was informed of the situation and he was told to go home and self isolate for 14 days.
He will not get sick pay from his job(he would normally get full,pay for six weeks) because he is not considered by the firm to be ill.
So financially they will be penalised.
They cannot get tested to ensure that it IS this virus and not any other viral illness,because only hospitalised patients are being tested.

I am in the coffin dodgers bracket, that is being asked to self isolate from weekend, but my intention is to go about my life normally unless I feel poorly or someone in the family is confirmed to have this virus.
Gremlin and monkey hanger like this.
Old 18-03-2020, 13:47   #81
Beacon of light

On the good side of things.
Just a few minutes ago, there was a knock at our door and a young man who lives in our street offered to shop for us if we need anything...or pick up prescriptions.....and he has done the same for the other oldies in the street.
How kind is that?
Thank you Mark and Ellie....you are stars!
Old 18-03-2020, 19:20   #82

The present situation is certainly bringing out the best and the worst in people, as we keep finding out.

As for the way your son-in-law is being treated by his employer, Margaret, that is awful. Surely at a time like this more consideration should be given to people's circumstances and a bit of compassion and understanding shown. If he is told to self-isolate for 14 days then it could be argued that the possibility of him being sick is there - otherwise why the isolation.

I do sincerely hope that all Tyler has is a common cold, which is bad enough given your daughter's situation. Of course more preferable is that it was just a one-day 'sniffle'.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 19:25   #83
God Member

Would just like to put a good word in for McDonalds - they're very kindly offering free hot or cold drinks to emergency service workers, nhs workers & council employees during this current situation. Only a small thing maybe but a much appreciated gesture & I've got to say the hot chocolate I had earlier very much hit the spot, well done McD's
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 20:16   #84
Beacon of light

Yes, I read that too Accymad...and it is good to hear something like that.
so yes...Very well Done to Mc Donalds.

Dorothy, it is just a small company and this crisis could see them off.
We will help them out with odds and sods .....and I am taking stuff over and leaving it on the doorstep.
Que sera, sera.
Old 18-03-2020, 20:32   #85
Full Member+

When people start panic buying red wine I'll know it's the end of the world.....

Speaking of McDonalds, the one near Whalley was only doing takeaway orders, apparently not the only one. I only go in to buy a large tea when I go to watch the birds at Spring Woods picnic site near Whalley.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/gws-newsro...9_updates.html
Old 18-03-2020, 20:56   #86
Beacon of light

All McDonalds are closing their dining in areas...only selling food to be taken away.

Oops, only just read that link...sorry Ryewolf.
Ryewolf90 likes this.
Old 18-03-2020, 20:59   #87
Beacon of light

Ryewolf...when I start panic buying red wine you will know it IS the end of the world...can't stand the stuff. Give me a good mug of tea.
monkey hanger and Ryewolf90 like this.
Old 18-03-2020, 21:05   #88

Margaret I can understand now about the sick pay issue with your son-in-law. So many small businesses are going to be finished after this is over unless the government helps them to survive wherever possible. Small businesses are so important.

On another tack, it should be interesting today - I am going to do my normal shopping - though I doubt there will be anything normal about it. Doesn't worry me, if there is anything there I want I'll get it but otherwise it doesn't matter as I always make sure I have sufficient in the house to last me for a while. If I run out of anything then I'll make do with something else. Be interesting to see just what is left on the shelves.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 21:34   #89
Beacon of light

I think you might find that you will be having grilled Brillo on toast....but without the bread.
The places we visited to get basic supplies were bare this morning.
I'm not talking smoked salmon here...just eggs, milk and bread.....no tinned beans or peas, no pasta (no skin off my nose...don't much like it).
Managed to get some fresh chicken drumsticks, some minced beef(plate meat pie....and a cottage pie).
We will manage I guess.
Old 18-03-2020, 22:15   #90
Full Member+

Just to let you know that the Tesco Express Accrington on Abbey St, next to The Swan/Tiger Lounge is only open between 6am and 10pm instead of midnight

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..