Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2020, 08:28   #1291
Beacon of light

Re: Corona Virus

Today the front page of the Daily Mail trumpets the news that three quarters of the population would have the vaccine if Boris has it first.
How easy it would be for the politicians to have a photo shoot that purports to be them getting the vaccine.....when what they might be getting is a shot of normal saline.

Inside the poll goes through the questions asked and the responses given....and if you swallowed those statistics then you would be crazy.
Nowhere on the poll does it say when the poll was done or how many participants were involved....so this is a very good example of how statistics are used to mislead( though I would prefer to call it what it is - lying).
If you are interested in those details you have to head over to the pollster website.....and there you will find that the sample that this poll was conducted on was 1016.....what percentage is that of the population in this country?
I have told you before that I failed maths, but I know it is an infinitesimal per centage....and as such is not to be taken as of any informative value.

They Lie.....and they lie for a reason...you work it out.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-11-2020, 08:30   #1292
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
thanks for the info. took some of it in but a lot was harder to fully understand. a bit like explaining electricity to a cave dweller.
You are welcome....my later posts try to explain the implications that I have taken from scientific publications.
If it helps you to decide where you want to be in relation to the vaccine, then that is pleasing to me.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:42   #1293
Beacon of light

Quote:
think no.4 in the article is the important one. wish i,d had more interest in medical matters years ago instead of football, cars and public transport which i know quite a lot more about. however have corona virus,s been around in different forms for awhile. has a vaccine been around before now and just got tweeked for the present strain. have the public been put in fear mode over the last few months where the government know there,d be a queue round the block to obtain this vaccine once available. going from no news to all this news on the subject makes me wonder it really does.
There are many types of Coronavirus around.
The difference with this one is that it is alleged to have been modified in a laboratory(The Chinese took out a patent on the virus the day after WHO declared it was transmissible to humans...you cannot patent something unless it has been manipulated in some way).

This is an entirely different kind of vaccine.
Previously vaccines used the pathogen that was causing disease in a safer form....either dead or greatly weakened to provoke the immune system into making antibodies against the pathogen...making cells to fight the invader is probably a good way of explaining it....teaching the body to recognise the pathogen.

This new vaccine works by adding modified RNA ( RNA is part of the genetic code your body uses to replicate cells)....so this new vaccine modifies your genetic code by adding a strand of RNA(it is not known what species this RNA has been obtained from, but RNA cannot be manufactured it has to be obtained from cellular material) to your own RNA.
This makes you genetically modified (theoretically patentable by Pfizer ....or whichever company produced the Modified RNA).
Old 11-11-2020, 08:45   #1294
Beacon of light

This is the poll...taken 10/11/2020.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...mber+2020.xlsx

You need to click on the index tab to see the statistics.
(Just to show you that I tell the truth)
Old 11-11-2020, 09:02   #1295
Beacon of light

I actually do not care whether people take the vaccination or not.

What I do care about is that people are given the relevant information about something whose long term fuses are unknown for a condition that is fatal to only a very small proportion of the population.
You cannot make an informed choice on misleading information...or information of a party that has vested interests.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:26   #1296
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

to be honest long term dont come into my thinking, i know damn well i aint gonna be here long term.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:37   #1297

Quote:
thanks for the info. took some of it in but a lot was harder to fully understand. a bit like explaining electricity to a cave dweller.
Or trying to explain Internet Technology to a Luddite.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:47   #1298
Beacon of light

Cashy...I know you will do what is best in your circumsrances and that is all anybody can do.

Like you...I am at the fag end of life, but what is left who can tell.
what I do know is that I want the rest of my life...longer or shorter, to be productive and healthy.
I have many reasons to stay in the best condition that I can.
I look after other people who are important to me...so I look after myself so that I can continue in that vein for as long as possible.

This vaccine is an unkown quantity when it comes to us oldies...so those who do have it need to know as much as possible about it.
This kind of vaccine comes off the back of some cancer treatments...and as you know my daughter has cancer so i have done a lot of reading of research...I have also researched the research(by that I mean I have looked into the who, the why and the commissioners of the research because it is not straigh forward stuff)
I have done more research in the last seven years than I did in thiry years of nursing.

for cancer patients this therapy is said to be kinder(but as these patient usually have a much shortened life span...it does not matter so much about adding mutant stains of genetic code to their DNA(it does matter, but not so much as changing the DNA of younger people who may go on to have children and bequeath them these horrible auto immune disorders.

I am not being alarmist...I am just saying it how I see it and how people are not being told the full implications of such experimental vaccines(NEVER used before on humans)
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:48   #1299
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post

Taddy you need to come to my finishing school.
I DO have a teaching qualification you know!
Old 11-11-2020, 16:58   #1300

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1246622]Today the front page of the Daily Mail vaccine if Boris has it first.

there you will find that the sample that this poll was conducted on was 1016.....what percentage is that of the population in this country?

Did they used to have polls pre the Norman Conquest, by eck Marge your knowledge never fails to astound me.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 17:42   #1301
Beacon of light

I do not know the answer to that Taddy....but it wasn't the year 1016..it was one thousand and sixteen people, but the you knew that and are having me on

Why would you be astounded at my knowledge Taddy?
I was born asking why.
I have never lost my wonder..it is in my coat pocket tied with string
Old 11-11-2020, 18:36   #1302
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post

Simple really, great when it works, but when it goes pear shaped ..... not so, ask the kids for a fix for the problem, faling that a decent sized hammer makes me feel happier! (Skinter too )
Old 12-11-2020, 02:18   #1303

The fact that the vaccine has to be kept at minus 70 degrees C is of great concern to me. The logistics of transportation and storage will make this extremely difficult. Also regarding storage at pharmacies and surgeries – would any be equipped to keep a stock on hand at this temperature? The vaccine will have to be kept in dry ice when being transported and special containers are having to be made for this to happen.

To make a comparison and to put this in perspective, flu vaccines need only to be stored at around 4 degrees C so can be kept in a normal type of refrigerator.

If the temperature falls below the minus 70 what happens to the vaccine? Does it become ineffective, absolutely useless, and so has to be destroyed – or if, by some chance, it is administered when not stored correctly could it be a potential health risk itself.
nicola68 and monkey hanger like this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:42   #1304
Beacon of light

Those questions you pose are interesting and bring up some relevant concerns.
Pfizer the company that are manufacturing this vaccine will be buying up all the supplies of dry ice to transport their vaccine in the conditions it needs to be kept stable.
They are also saying that they are working on the possibility of manufacturing it in a powder form, but this may take about a year to achieve.

The vaccine has to be given in two doses...twenty one days apart.

An interesting fact is that the CEO of this company sold sixty per cent of his shares the day after the release of this vaccine was announced....making him 5.6 million pounds.
We are told that this had been agreed back in August.(i leave you to draw your own conclusions on this)

The cost of providing this vaccine is said to be in the region of 600 million pounds.
All the while those who have been diagnosed with cancer have their treatment postponed and diagnoses for those suspected of having cancer have been deferred.

There is an ad campaign on TV and in the media right now telling us that the NHS is open.
That if we suspect we have something unusual we should contact our Doctor.
All I can say is....Good luck with that one!
nicola68 and dotti34 like this.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:25   #1305

Yes, Margaret, there are a lot of things to think about regarding the vaccine – and especially the short time it has taken from being developed to being called safe to use. When you consider how long it normally takes for vaccines and other medications to be developed and made available, the speed with which this vaccine is being marketed as being (potentially) safe is a bit of a worry (well more than a bit).

As we all know, there’s a common-sense reason for testing regarding any newly developed vaccines and such. There are numerous stages to go through before this gets passed and made available which can take several years. What makes this one different?

I am definitely not against vaccinations – I have my flu jab every year and recently had the whooping cough one (have got a new great-granddaughter and this is the recommended thing to do). I was quite willing to roll up my sleeve for these as they have been well and truly tried and tested, but I will hesitate to have the COVID one.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..