Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-05-2009, 23:23   #46
Give, give, give member

Re: Council again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelson View Post
To quote the date from that blog entry ' 20-04-2008 '. I find that 13 months old .

Hmmm, a person working for minimum wage will generally be in reciept of working tax credits.
There are hundreds of thousands of workers in this country that doesn't apply to.

If you can't be more specific, you were probably wise not to give evidence for your original post.

I look forward to seeing an improvement in your logic in the future, and that you've used the last thirteen months wisely.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-05-2009, 23:34   #47
Senior Member+

A minimum wage is a floor for the employers in which they can pay there employees. In large buisnesses this tends not be a problem, however the smaller buisnesses might stuggle. The minimum wage increases the amount of money within the government coffers. So the money is often placed within welfare benefits. Yes there are Hundreds of thousands whom Working Tax Credits need not apply to. However to those that are applicable then the fact that there hours are made up means they need not work the 30 hours and can work 20 where they will get the rest made up. This creates not incentive for the worker to drag themselfs out thus creating a trap.

Prehaps i do need revision, however i didnt study this subject 13 months ago.
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 00:02   #48
God Member

As somebody who worked for an employer who was loath to pay a decent days wage for a decent days work before the minimum wage was introduced I can say with confidence that it was well overdue when it was introduced. Not everybody is entitled to claim Working Tax Credits and when this is the case the minimum wage is a blessing. Not all small businnesses are struggling, a lot them are well established it is just that their owners seem loath to pay their employees a decent wage!!!
Old 22-05-2009, 00:08   #49
Give, give, give member

Quote:
A minimum wage is a floor for the employers in which they can pay there employees. In large buisnesses this tends not be a problem, however the smaller buisnesses might stuggle. The minimum wage increases the amount of money within the government coffers. So the money is often placed within welfare benefits. Yes there are Hundreds of thousands whom Working Tax Credits need not apply to. However to those that are applicable then the fact that there hours are made up means they need not work the 30 hours and can work 20 where they will get the rest made up. This creates not incentive for the worker to drag themselfs out thus creating a trap.

Prehaps i do need revision, however i didnt study this subject 13 months ago.
I've read that four times, trying to make some sense of it.

I can't.

A floor?

Not a very recognised business term, trust me.

Revision isn't what you need after all.

I think the need is more basic.

Old 22-05-2009, 00:10   #50
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
As somebody who worked for an employer who was loath to pay a decent days wage for a decent days work before the minimum wage was introduced I can say with confidence that it was well overdue when it was introduced. Not everybody is entitled to claim Working Tax Credits and when this is the case the minimum wage is a blessing. Not all small businnesses are struggling, a lot them are well established it is just that their owners seem loath to pay their employees a decent wage!!!
Exactly Bernie.

The minimum wage is a different thing in the world of reality, than it might appear to some of those who have yet to experience it, and chose to speak in meaningless piffle.

Old 22-05-2009, 00:12   #51

Quote:
To quote the date from that blog entry ' 20-04-2008 '. I find that 13 months old .

Hmmm, a person working for minimum wage will generally be in reciept of working tax credits. If that person was to find work decreased from 30 hours to 20 they would have the net income made back up with tax credits. This means that the worker has no incentive to get work back for 30 hours creating a poverty trap.
I have to disagree with you that all workers on the minimum wage get working tax credits. My husband earns 5p an hour more than minimum wage (for a 30 hour week) but we do not get any working tax credits and we both pay income tax.

In fact working tax credits are an incentive for some employers to pay minimum wage becasue they know that the taxpayers will make it up to a living wage (for those who are entitled to receive working tax credits) and it is hard luck for those who aren't entitled to them.

Last edited by claytonender; 22-05-2009 at 00:20.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 00:18   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Exactly Bernie.

The minimum wage is a different thing in the world of reality, than it might appear to some of those who have yet to experience it, and chose to speak in meaningless piffle.
Yes the bitter experience of an employer extracting the urine has a lot to answer for. Put it this way his family never went short but my goodness it came about through the hard graft of the workers for a crap wage.
Old 22-05-2009, 00:24   #53
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Yes the bitter experience of an employer extracting the urine has a lot to answer for. Put it this way his family never went short but my goodness it came about through the hard graft of the workers for a crap wage.
Nickelson could have perhaps justified that low wages per se are a poverty trap, but he didn't.

Given the choice of being paid £1.50 per hour by some unscrupolous employer, or an enforced by law minimum wage of £5.73, l know which financial bait I'd want on my trap.

Old 22-05-2009, 00:28   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
A floor?

Not a very recognised business term, trust me.
A Floor = Price Floor, the minimum something can be charged generally by law and within the case of the minimum wage, its the minimum wage that can be paid.

It might not be a buisness term but its an economic term .
Old 22-05-2009, 00:41   #55
Give, give, give member

Quote:
A Floor = Price Floor, the minimum something can be charged generally by law and within the case of the minimum wage, its the minimum wage that can be paid.

I only did Economic O-level, which equates to one of your modern day degrees, but in those days we were taught not to use half terms.

Since we aren't a student forum, perhaps you might find more success on here using clearer, more concise, English, rather than abridged terms you've come across in class.

Old 22-05-2009, 00:57   #56
Give, give, give member

Quote:

By the way, I sort of understand where you were coming from with floor, meaning base, pricing/bidding floor, though only using half a term wasn't very clear, and I disagree with your logic afterwards, if I understood the gobbledigook correctly.

It might make it easier to read if you distinguish between the correct use of there and their, for a start, for us poor readers.

Please revise.

Old 22-05-2009, 00:58   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
I only did Economic O-level, which equates to one of your modern day degrees, but in those days we were taught not to use half terms.

Since we aren't a student forum, perhaps you might find more success on here using clearer, more concise, English, rather than abridged terms you've come across in class.
O-Levels where phased out for GCSEs wernt they ?. Big step down there ffrom a modern day degree.

Also please would you care to enlighten me with the correct term for future reference.
Old 22-05-2009, 01:00   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
By the way, I sort of understand where you were coming from with floor, meaning base, pricing/bidding floor, though only using half a term wasn't very clear, and I disagree with your logic afterwards, if I understood the gobbledigook correctly.

It might make it easier to read if you distinguish between there and their, for a start, for us poor readers.

Please revise.
To be honest its 2 a.m and im quite tired so i will continue this tommorow. The time is my excuse for lack of grammar.
Old 22-05-2009, 01:07   #59
Give, give, give member

Quote:
O-Levels where phased out for GCSEs wernt they ?. Big step down there ffrom a modern day degree.

Also please would you care to enlighten me with the correct term for future reference.
Yes they were.

I'm lucky enough to have done O-levels, and later a G.C.S.E., after I'd finished my B.A. (Hons.), so I'm probably in a better position than yourself to judge the academic merits and quality of those examinations.

Personally I wouldn't have used the term at all.

Mainly because what I had to say wouldn't have been meaningless waffle.

As was posted earlier, perhaps with time, and on entering the world of reality, outside of further education, you might have a differing view as to the benefits of the minimum wage, or at least put up a more coherent argument against it.

Old 22-05-2009, 01:12   #60
Give, give, give member

Quote:
To be honest its 2 a.m and im quite tired so i will continue this tommorow. The time is my excuse for lack of grammar.

Funnily enough it's two a.m. here too...and I never make excuses for myself.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..