Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2009, 10:55   #76
Give, give, give member

Re: Council again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
What is this living in the real world that keeps cropping up in relation to students, interesting, thought i might ask due to coming across the term several times.
It isn't just confined to those in further education.

I was informed that you excitedly tried to recruit someone I know in a 'get rich quick' pyramid scheme, claiming all involved would be rich beyond their wildest dreams in a few short months.

Sadly the person I know didn't participate.

How did it go?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-05-2009, 11:00   #77
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I know you have great experience in rarely dealing with context and actually commenting on the general argument
The truth is you have no idea as to what experience I may, or may not have, and by referring to it weakened your already weak argument.

Old 22-05-2009, 12:48   #78
God Member

So weak that you still cannot bring yourself to debate the crux of the argument, instead favouring a pedantic sideroad. Nevermind
Posted via Mobile Device
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 14:06   #79
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
So weak that you still cannot bring yourself to debate the crux of the argument, instead favouring a pedantic sideroad. Nevermind
Posted via Mobile Device
Perhaps more people here would've been more able to understand your gripe, if you'd posted the correct time of the meeting.

Sloppy once again.

Old 22-05-2009, 16:01   #80
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Perhaps more people here would've been more able to understand your gripe, if you'd posted the correct time of the meeting.

Sloppy once again.
For heavens sake you two call it a draw
Old 22-05-2009, 16:58   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

There is also the argument that by setting a minimum wage yoyu give a target for employers to price down to. To quote G Jones its a race to the bottom.

Without a min wage some people would probably be better paid. As it is the companys are effectively mandated that its ok to pay so little.

Couldn't agree more. Wages are a function of the free market, not government mandates. No matter where I worked, I made a point of making myself invaluable to my employer and was always rewarded for my efforts. Government mandates most often result in layoffs.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 17:14   #82
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
Couldn't agree more. Wages are a function of the free market, not government mandates. No matter where I worked, I made a point of making myself invaluable to my employer and was always rewarded for my efforts. Government mandates most often result in layoffs.
You are in the fortunate position of probably being sought by many villages.

Not everyone, particularly in a free market economy, is so lucky.

That's why trade unions were founded, and latterly employment laws introduced, to protect those who otherwise could be easily replaced by unscupolous employers, if they didn't agree to work for a pittance.

Old 22-05-2009, 18:14   #83

Quote:
You are in the fortunate position of probably being sought by many villages.

Not everyone, particularly in a free market economy, is so lucky.

That's why trade unions were founded, and latterly employment laws introduced, to protect those who otherwise could be easily replaced by unscupolous employers, if they didn't agree to work for a pittance.

Oh, Puleeze!!! Luck has nothing to do with it. One should always prepare for the current economy. If you cannot hack it, don't be surprised when someone else beats you to the punch.
Old 22-05-2009, 18:33   #84
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Oh, Puleeze!!! Luck has nothing to do with it. One should always prepare for the current economy. If you cannot hack it, don't be surprised when someone else beats you to the punch.
I guess these 700 people, and the people about to be made redundant at B.A., 40,600 of which are being offered unpaid leave, as well as the countless other people who are worried about their job security, just weren't lucky, or weren't invaluable enough.

700 IT staff to be made redundant at RBS - 22 May 2009 - Computing

Luckily there are always villages looking for an idiot, with the appropriate skills needed.

So some will always be in demand.

Old 22-05-2009, 18:48   #85

Quote:
It isn't just confined to those in further education.

I was informed that you excitedly tried to recruit someone I know in a 'get rich quick' pyramid scheme, claiming all involved would be rich beyond their wildest dreams in a few short months.

Sadly the person I know didn't participate.

How did it go?
I really perplexed here to the relevance of what your trying to imply or state.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 18:49   #86
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You'd better just keep your gun trained out of the peephole in your bunker, and keep an eye out for those damned red Ruskies.

Old 22-05-2009, 19:16   #87

Quote:
I guess these 700 people, and the people about to be made redundant at B.A., 40,600 of which are being offered unpaid leave, as well as the countless other people who are worried about their job security, just weren't lucky, or weren't invaluable enough.

700 IT staff to be made redundant at RBS - 22 May 2009 - Computing

Luckily there are always villages looking for an idiot, with the appropriate skills needed.

So some will always be in demand.

Try not to be so pathetic. Some companies are not run well. So what? There is always a market for good employees. Even in a bad economy. Do things always go well? No. But government interference does not help the situation. The free market is by definition creative destruction. You may not like it.....but it does work - and has brought great prosperity and upward mobility to more people than any other system.
Old 22-05-2009, 19:37   #88
Give, give, give member

Quote:
There is always a market for good employees.
I suppose the millions of Britons who were out of work in the last Great Depression of the 1920/30's, like the millions in a similar position today, just weren't 'good' enough to be employed.

What's the weather like in Cloud Cuckoo Land like at the moment?

Old 22-05-2009, 19:57   #89

Quote:
I suppose the millions of Britons who were out of work in the last Great Depression of the 1920/30's, like the millions in a similar position today, just weren't 'good' enough to be employed.

What's the weather like in Cloud Cuckoo Land like at the moment?

Perhaps you prefer what Benito Mussolini called Corporatism. I call it economic fascism. If you think the government has the solution to the problems we face today, you are the one living in Cloud Cuckoo Land. If taxes and regulations were reasonable and limited, you would see far healthier companies. The worth of employees has little to do with the current situation.
Old 22-05-2009, 20:10   #90

Why do you consider or put so much emphasis on people not living in the real world and i quote cloud cuckoo, it also appears your always having a go at individuals in one form or another in terms of intelligence and quoting all your qualifications etc. I feel people whom attack in this way appear to me full of self importance. Not impressive at all.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..