Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2009, 20:46   #91
Give, give, give member

Re: Council again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
If taxes and regulations were reasonable and limited, you would see far healthier companies.
How would you define 'reasonable', if you were being more specific?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-05-2009, 20:49   #92
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
Not impressive at all.
Frankly I haven't the slightest desire to impress you, or anyone else on here.

If per chance I did inadvertently impress you, I'd consider it time to throw in the towel.

Old 22-05-2009, 20:57   #93
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Frankly I haven't the slightest desire to impress you, or anyone else on here.

If per chance I did inadvertently impress you, I'd consider it time to throw in the towel.

Don't get me wrong though, your input on here causes much hilarity to many people.

Old 23-05-2009, 09:23   #94
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Don't get me wrong though, your input on here causes much hilarity to many people.
Glad to see your back to your fighting best G
Old 26-05-2009, 15:14   #95

Quote:
How would you define 'reasonable', if you were being more specific?

For example - the U.S. has the second highest corporate tax rate in the world at 39.3%. An abomination any way you look at it. As you surely know, only individuals pay taxes - hence, corporations merely collect same from either their shareholders, employees or customers. The shareholder will receive lower dividends on his investment, customers will pay higher prices and employees will see fewer raises and jobs. Likewise, onerous regulations cost businesses dearly.

bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 17:32   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
For example - the U.S. has the second highest corporate tax rate in the world at 39.3%. An abomination any way you look at it. As you surely know, only individuals pay taxes - hence, corporations merely collect same from either their shareholders, employees or customers. The shareholder will receive lower dividends on his investment, customers will pay higher prices and employees will see fewer raises and jobs. Likewise, onerous regulations cost businesses dearly.
In the UK companies also pay tax-it is called corporation tax.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 18:21   #97
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
What is this living in the real world that keeps cropping up in relation to students, interesting, thought i might ask due to coming across the term several times.
I wouldn't worry too much about the "real world"; it doesn't exist. It's a meaningless term, often tossed in to an argument in order to undercut, or ridicule, someone else's argument.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 18:47   #98
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the "real world"; it doesn't exist. It's a meaningless term, often tossed in to an argument in order to undercut, or ridicule, someone else's argument.
Oh, get real.

Old 26-05-2009, 18:48   #99
Give, give, give member

Duplicate post.

Old 26-05-2009, 19:09   #100
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
It does anger me when this is thrown out at students Eric, and is simply not true from my experience. Most students do take out a job whilst studying. Can only go by my own son's record on this .... and try telling me it is not the real world. Sorry to bore you, but:

2 Years at McDonalds whilst doing A-levels. (health and safety certificate gained)
During the break before Uni ... very short period feeding the ovens at Hollands Pies, then working for a Newspaper Distributor.
Stock taking at the textile company I worked for and checking all dyed stock under a light meter for colour matches (boring)
1st year at Uni: Working in the student's bar and dealing with bouncers, rowdiness, etc. Also organising sports and social events for the students.
2nd/3rd year: Working at Blockbusters where they made him Manager for a year whilst he was searching for a job post-graduate before going back for his Masters in Planning.
Worked three days per week for a Planning Consultants whilst taking his Masters before they offered him an appointment on gaining this .. he is still there.. he is now 26, and all these jobs have taught him quite a bit of how to deal with people and varying situations !

Ok .. you don't have to read all this ... but 90% of his friends have this sort of history whilst studying.

My granddaughter worked in Ainsleys (bit like Greggs) from 16, now doing night shift at Sainsburys whilst stacking shelves and doing A-Levels.

Please do not tell me that students do not get experience in the 'real world' just gets up my nose.

Sorry.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 19:20   #101
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
It does anger me when this is thrown out at students Eric, and is simply not true from my experience. Most students do take out a job whilst studying. Can only go by my own son's record on this .... and try telling me it is not the real world. Sorry to bore you, but:

2 Years at McDonalds whilst doing A-levels. (health and safety certificate gained)
During the break before Uni ... very short period feeding the ovens at Hollands Pies, then working for a Newspaper Distributor.
Stock taking at the textile company I worked for and checking all dyed stock under a light meter for colour matches (boring)
1st year at Uni: Working in the student's bar and dealing with bouncers, rowdiness, etc. Also organising sports and social events for the students.
2nd/3rd year: Working at Blockbusters where they made him Manager for a year whilst he was searching for a job post-graduate before going back for his Masters in Planning.
Worked three days per week for a Planning Consultants whilst taking his Masters before they offered him an appointment on gaining this .. he is still there.. he is now 26, and all these jobs have taught him quite a bit of how to deal with people and varying situations !

Ok .. you don't have to read all this ... but 90% of his friends have this sort of history whilst studying.

My granddaughter worked in Ainsleys (bit like Greggs) from 16, now doing night shift at Sainsburys whilst stacking shelves and doing A-Levels.

Please do not tell me that students do not get experience in the 'real world' just gets up my nose.

Sorry.
Good to hear this ... I paid for my Ph. D. driving cab and tending bar ...
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 19:22   #102
Give, give, give member

Everyone's world is real to them.

Be it the reality of a prison, living off a trust fund, or being a monarch. Though it probably won't be the same reality as faced by the majority of the country.

I too did numerous jobs whilst a student.

Some more demeaning than those jobs mentioned, and some more glamorous.

Sadly none of those part time jobs paid well enough to take me past my tax limit, which would have put me on a more equal footing with the rest of the income tax paying population.

That came later, when I was working full time, and paying all the associated costs and taxes of the 'real' world, unaided by the State in the form of subsidised educational grants etc.

Old 26-05-2009, 21:39   #103
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Sadly none of those part time jobs paid well enough to take me past my tax limit, which would have put me on a more equal footing with the rest of the income tax paying population.

That came later, when I was working full time, and paying all the associated costs and taxes of the 'real' world, unaided by the State in the form of subsidised educational grants etc.
No, most part time jobs don't take you onto a tax level Garinda, mainly because they are part time jobs at unsociable hours paying the lowest hourly rate. Students are very aware, however, of the tax exemption limit believe me; have it worked out to perfection.

Not sure what you mean re. the 'equal footing' though, this is nothing to do with tax or earnings, but the experience you have picked up earning a crust whilst studying at the same time.

As for costs, after the 1st year at Uni... students have to sort their own accommodation out sharing rent, council tax, tv licence, gas/fuel bills etc with other people .. no mean task working as a team with varying personalities attempting to keep bills to a minimum, outlining perimeters of usage.

Educational grants ? Hummph ... they are long gone ... just loans now of which students are aware they have to Pay the Piper eventually.

Sorry again for the thread wander ... just feel someone has to stick up for students against the view that some of the population have of them i.e. not having a valid opinion just because they feel they have no experience in a 'real working world'. If you wish to go out kids and get P1ssed in your free time ... you have earned it.

Overcooked me broccoli and cauliflower tonight 'cause had to get on me soapbox .....
Old 26-05-2009, 22:14   #104
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Educational grants ? Hummph ... they are long gone ... just loans now of which students are aware they have to Pay the Piper eventually.
I actually said 'subsidised educational grants', meaning that further education is primarily financed by the tax payer, and not by student's fees.

As stated earlier, everyone's experience is 'real' to them.

Personally I enjoyed my five years in the ivory tower of academia.

I also enjoyed life afterwards, which offered more challenging demands than the relatively cosseted life of education.

Old 26-05-2009, 22:39   #105
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Personally I enjoyed my five years in the ivory tower of academia.

Sure most students do Garinda ..know my son did.

I also enjoyed life afterwards, which offered more challenging demands than the relatively cosseted life of education.
Oh hek, wasted my breath didn't I ....

Now what were we talking about ? Oh yes, Andrew .. believe in the minimum wage as agree with what most of t'others said.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..