Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-05-2009, 14:42   #1
God Member

Council again..

It's full council tonight. It's at 7:30 normally, if you're interested.

There's a motion on the table by Labour that celebrates 10 years of the minimum wage. It then goes on to say the council should write to David Cameron and express disgust at a 'Conservative proposed' bill which would allow workers to opt out of the minimum wage.

Quite why local politicians wish to waste time on such motions rather than dealing with local issues which they have influence over I don't know. Regardless, is it really necessary to try and make this a party political matter? The bill is not backed by David Cameron, it's not backed by the overwhelming majority of the Conservative parliamentary group, and it's now even been withdrawn.

I expect that if the Conservatives turn around and say 'No we're not going to waste time when everybody knows it's Conservative policy to back the minimum wage', and vote against the motion, Labour will be quoting 'Conservatives vote against minimum wage' in the newspaper and their leaflets! More games...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pointscore.jpg (52.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 20-05-2009, 15:09   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Council again..

Maybe lots of people would work for below the minimum wage if it was tax free and they got free housing and all the things in life that are needed to survive but that will never happen.Or is there such a world out there??

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 15:15   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Maybe lots of people would work for below the minimum wage if it was tax free and they got free housing and all the things in life that are needed to survive but that will never happen.Or is there such a world out there??
Ah, Communism, (at least we'd get free vodka), even if we couldn't buy a football team at the end of 80 years, (ish), of oppression!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 15:24   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Aye. It's called North Korea. You'd like it there.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 15:30   #5
God Member

The minimum wage is very much needed, as someone who worked for an employer who was loath to pay a decent wage before the minimum wage was introduced I am speaking from experience. Workers rights need protecting.
Old 20-05-2009, 15:34   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
The minimum wage is very much needed, as someone who worked for an employer who was loath to pay a decent wage before the minimum wage was introduced I am speaking from experience. Workers rights need protecting.
Indeed, but that isn't what I'm posting about.
Old 20-05-2009, 15:55   #7

Andrew - it would be better if you gave the correct information about tonight's council meeting - it is scheduled to start at 7.00pm (not 7.30 as per your post).
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 16:00   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Andrew - it would be better if you gave the correct information about tonight's council meeting - it is scheduled to start at 7.00pm (not 7.30 as per your post).
But Labours motion as more to do with the 4th June than sensible debate, a desperate ploy by a desperate bunch of no mark political numpties
Old 20-05-2009, 16:04   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
I do apologise, thank-you for updating us! I thought they normally started at 7:30 you see.
Old 20-05-2009, 16:19   #10
God Member

People may wish to read the following two articles before commenting.

Tory bill attempts to water down minimum wage | Politics | guardian.co.uk

Bill to abolish minimum wage withdrawn

As Andrew points out the proposed bill has been withdrawn - however, it is likely to be put back again on 12th June. Isn't that just after the county elections - i wonder whether that has affected the decision to pull the bill now and then reinstate it afterwards.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 16:27   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
People may wish to read the following two articles before commenting.

Tory bill attempts to water down minimum wage | Politics | guardian.co.uk

Bill to abolish minimum wage withdrawn

As Andrew points out the proposed bill has been withdrawn - however, it is likely to be put back again on 12th June. Isn't that just after the county elections - i wonder whether that has affected the decision to pull the bill now and then reinstate it afterwards.
Whether this MP decides to put it forward again or not, it's a private members bill rather than Conservative party policy, therefore this 'motion' for this evening looks rather misleading. It looks as if it's about bad mouthing Tories with the election coming up, rather than trying to help local people with local issues.
Old 20-05-2009, 16:30   #12
God Member

We will see if it appears in the local papers/election leaflets in due course though. Perhaps I'm just being cynical!
Old 20-05-2009, 16:31   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Whether this MP decides to put it forward again or not, it's a private members bill rather than Conservative party policy, therefore this 'motion' for this evening looks rather misleading. It looks as if it's about bad mouthing Tories with the election coming up, rather than trying to help local people with local issues.
Spot on young un
Old 20-05-2009, 16:35   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post

Minimum wage is a very important local issue. I would imagine that Hyndburn has a high proportion of people who benefit (if that's the right way of putting it) from having a minimum wage - they'd probably be working for a lot less if there wasn't one.

I think these things should be discussed in council so that the views of the people can be heard.

However, I do agree that this is probably all down to timing. The county and european elections have a lot to answer for! Labour would get some great headlines out of it if the local Conservatives voted to support a bill that abolished the minimum wage.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 17:18   #15
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device

There is also the argument that by setting a minimum wage yoyu give a target for employers to price down to. To quote G Jones its a race to the bottom.

Without a min wage some people would probably be better paid. As it is the companys are effectively mandated that its ok to pay so little.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..