Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-11-2010, 17:45   #1
Senior Member+

Council Cuts

East Lancs' crippling budget cuts - while rich escape (From Lancashire Telegraph)

So Hyndburn faces 18% cuts next year alone. Not just massive, but more massive than other, more affluent Councils face.

How is that fair?
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-11-2010, 14:04   #2
God Member

Re: Council Cuts

Eighteen percent, Hmmm. Assuming that you had the responsibility, where would you begin to cut eighteen percent from the budget of HBC? What jobs and services would you axe or cut back on?

The current budget is somewhere in the region of £16 Million with £4 million in reserves and a net pensions deficit of £47 million and a wages bill of £13 million.

It is interesting to note that the Managing Director of HBC is paid a total of £147,672 pa (which includes employer pension contributions of £27,608.) and his deputy is paid £119,053 (which includes employer pension contributions of £21,896 ).

I wonder if they will be taking an 18% cut, what do you think?
Old 29-11-2010, 14:11   #3
God Member

well its not realy a shocker seen as cameron himself stated that he hated the north and couldnt understand why anyone lived there.Yet people in the north still voted for him so they must have thought cameron wasnt refering to them or somthing .Credit where credit is due though cameron said he hated teh north and now hes backing it up

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 14:35   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
It is interesting to note that the Managing Director of HBC is paid a total of £147,672 pa (which includes employer pension contributions of £27,608.) and his deputy is paid £119,053 (which includes employer pension contributions of £21,896 ).

I wonder if they will be taking an 18% cut, what do you think?
From my knowledge and dealings with them, they are both worth every penny. Councillor Moss has mentioned on this site the great (and thankless!) job the Managing Director does in keeping all the different factions together with such difficult political leadership.

What worries me is the cost of the large number of administrative jobs created in recent years, to ensure the right ticks are being put in the right boxes. How much was wasted courting the government inspectors who gave the ludicrous "Excellent" status? All spin, no substance.

That's where the savings are!
Old 29-11-2010, 14:45   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
From my knowledge and dealings with them, they are both worth every penny. Councillor Moss has mentioned on this site the great (and thankless!) job the Managing Director does in keeping all the different factions together with such difficult political leadership.

What worries me is the cost of the large number of administrative jobs created in recent years, to ensure the right ticks are being put in the right boxes. How much was wasted courting the government inspectors who gave the ludicrous "Excellent" status? All spin, no substance.

But do ya think thats were the savings will be? i sure as hell doubt it.
Old 29-11-2010, 18:11   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Is shooting yourself in the foot a hobby or an obsession.

He either does a good job or he does like every other politician and employs a laccy who in turn employs another laccy and so down the line we go.

Good fun innit.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 18:37   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post

He either does a good job or he does like every other politician and employs a lady who in turn employs another laccy and so down the line we go.

Good fun innit.
Its better than bear baiting Beni
Old 30-11-2010, 07:00   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Que?
Old 30-11-2010, 09:05   #9

This happens the world over. The people of Hyndburn elected a labour MP and we have a conservative government. Where do you think the swingeing cuts are going to fall.
Old 30-11-2010, 11:52   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by setayas View Post
The people of Hyndburn elected a labour MP and we have a conservative government. Where do you think the swingeing cuts are going to fall.
I thought we had ended up with a condemned coalition?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 16:29   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I thought we had ended up with a condemned coalition?
we did and cameron got a new tea lady.I say lady becuse there has yet to be any evidence that clegg has any balls

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 18:28   #12
Common Sense Member

I'm on a committee known as Overview and Scrutiny: Resources which looks at how the council spends its money and in six months I am appalled and the vast swathes of waste I see everywhere in the name of ticking the right boxes.

There is a very detailed list of the spending from each department, something which is about the size of five phone books and used to get sent out to councillors as a matter of course in years gone by. I have requested a copy, I feel fairly confident I could whittle out 18%.

Whether anyone listens at Britcliffe HQ is another matter, it'll all probably be due to 13 years of Labour rule when the chips are down.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 18:37   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

Whether anyone listens at Britcliffe HQ is another matter, it'll all probably be due to 13 years of Labour rule when the chips are down.
Well now you've got it saves me keep telling you
Old 01-12-2010, 19:18   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I feel fairly confident I could whittle out 18%.

They can go on about 13 years of Labour rule as much as they want, but they are wasting their breath.

There's still 18% savings to be found.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:18   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
They can go on about 13 years of Labour rule as much as they want, but they are wasting their breath.

There's still 18% savings to be found.
Because of the last 13 years of mismanagement

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..