Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 17:52   #61
God Member

Re: Council Tax 2008/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'm still waiting patiently for Peter Britcliffe's promised enquiry, as to why this shameful waste of public money was allowed to happen.

'Councillor Britcliffe said that he would support an inquiry into the project and added: "The aim was to give people in deprived areas access to the Internet.
"But things move on. These community representatives now have access to the Internet and they don't need to take us on.'
http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk/...perate_failure
There was a cross party one but I don't know enough about it because its spread over loads of different council meetings. Maybe you could use those contact details I gave you.
Old 09-06-2008, 17:59   #62
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
There was a cross party one but I don't know enough about it because its spread over loads of different council meetings. Maybe you could use those contact details I gave you.
I'd have thought un-publicity shy Cllr. Britcliffe would have rushed to the press with the findings...unless of course the council didn't look particularly good after this particular debacle.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 18:05   #63
God Member

Quote:
I'd have thought un-publicity shy Cllr. Britcliffe would have rushed to the press with the findings...unless of course the council didn't look particularly good after this particular debacle.
Since it is such a striking issue to you good luck. There's only one way to find out, let us know when you make contact!
Old 09-06-2008, 18:41   #64
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Since it is such a striking issue to you good luck. There's only one way to find out, let us know when you make contact!
I've much more interesting coals burning away in my fire.

Besides, why keep a dog and bark yourself?

Woof.

Who's a good boy Snuffy?

Old 09-06-2008, 18:46   #65
God Member

Quote:
I've much more interesting coals burning away in my fire.

Besides, why keep a dog and bark yourself?

Woof.

Who's a good boy Snuffy?
Are you okay Gary?
Old 09-06-2008, 18:49   #66

Quote:
I don't really understand what you're getting at. You have already said the increase in weekly wages was 36%, less than council tax over that time. You can find specific circumstances where that is not true, of course, because it's an average. If you are arguing for a review of council tax so that it is based on ability to pay (which you seem to be getting at since I'm sure you accept 45% increase over the last 10 years is much, much less than the average in the country), then that's a national government issue. Our council can only deal under the current structure.
What I am saying is that the rise in earnings since 1999 has been 22.62% as against your figures for the rise in Council Tax.

As, in an earlier thread, along similar lines, you would not accept people's own evidence of small wage rises, I thought I would give you some offical figures, but obviously you don't want to accept them because they differ from your arguments

You seem to be under the impression that weekly (and annual) wages in Hyndburn are much higher than they are. Why do you disagree with the ONS statistics – in case you are unaware, the ONS collect wage information from all employers (it did used to be monthly and I assume it still is).

The Median hourly rate in Hyndburn (for all employees in 2007 was - £7.97 per hour, with an average of 37 hours worked per week – based on these figures weekly pay was therefore £294.89 and the gross annual pay was £15282). These area all figures taken from the following the LCC website and cite there source as the ONS.

www.lancashire.gov.uk/office_of_the_chief_executive/lancashireprofile/areas/hyincome.asp
No doubt you will note, that the weekly pay actually fell in 2007, in 2006 it was £290.70 per week and in 2005 it was £293.70 per week.

So the residents in the borough are faced by the triple whammy of falling wages, rising Council Tax and lack of good services.

What do you consider an expectable number of hours, that anyone should work to achieve the weekly wage that you think is the average for Hyndburn. Please bear in mind, that in the year 2007, the total Household incomes within Hyndburn range from to £36500 in Baxenden and Altham wards to £22000 in Church ward (which is only 60% of that of Baxenden and Altham wards).

Last edited by claytonender; 09-06-2008 at 18:53.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 19:02   #67
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

All this trying to compare one area with another to work out who has the cheapest Council Tax. Stuff it lets bring back the Poll tax. Everyone pays the same then, none of this you pay more because you have worked hard and bought a big house nonsense.
Old 09-06-2008, 19:14   #68
Give, give, give member

Councils across East Lancashire have come under fire for using "snooping" powers meant to tackle serious crime.

Hyndburn council has used the powers 189 times since 2001.

Ribble Valley MP Nigel Evans said: "I would have thought dog-fouling would be something community support officers should get involved in.

"I support these powers if they are used to crack down on crime.

"But if they are going to spend lots of taxpayers' money on low-level issues I do not support it."

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/ne..._and_staff.php

Old 09-06-2008, 19:15   #69
God Member

Claytonender I don't dispute LCC figures (though didn't you get the 36% there?) I think the point is all councils have gone up a lot. Our council has only raised 45% unlike the average of 100% and high of 185%! Credit is due because services still have to be paid for, whether we are in a low income area or not, and central government have dumped councils with tons of responsibility and have not properly funded them, hence the increases. This is across the country not just Hyndburn Council.
Old 09-06-2008, 19:15   #70
God Member

Garinda I think that deserves its own thread.
Old 09-06-2008, 19:22   #71

Quote:
Claytonender I don't dispute LCC figures (though didn't you get the 36% there?) I think the point is all councils have gone up a lot. Our council has only raised 45% unlike the average of 100% and high of 185%! Credit is due because services still have to be paid for, whether we are in a low income area or not, and central government have dumped councils with tons of responsibility and have not properly funded them, hence the increases. This is across the country not just Hyndburn Council.
The 36% is if you only consider full time earnings, not all workers.

As for your comments about central goverment not funding local government properly, maybe if the funding was used for what it was designated for there would be less problems.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 19:29   #72
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
The 36% is if you only consider full time earnings, not all workers.

As for your comments about central goverment not funding local government properly, maybe if the funding was used for what it was designated for there would be less problems.
That is a sweeping statement councils are struggling, thankfully Hyndburn is struggling less so. Maybe you'd be in favour of scrapping councils if funding across the country is being mismanaged.

Ah yes, part time workers would be gaining rebates etc on council tax right? So you can't take the direct 22% increase.
Old 09-06-2008, 19:29   #73
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Garinda I think that deserves its own thread.
I'm sure I'd get into trouble if I started a thread every time I gave an example of Hyndburn Borough Council's barmy, and wasteful spending of our money.

Even when backed up by Tory M.P. Nigel Evans.

Old 09-06-2008, 19:33   #74
God Member

Quote:
I'm sure I'd get into trouble if I started a thread every time I gave an example of Hyndburn Borough Council's barmy, and wasteful spending of our money.

Even when backed up by Tory M.P. Nigel Evans.
You have a bit of a problem with reading things which are not there. That article doesn't state what sort of things Hyndburn have used the powers far. If it did Nigel's comments would be relevant, and I could make some too.
Old 09-06-2008, 19:35   #75
Give, give, give member

I read the facts, they are there for all to see.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..