Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 19:38   #76
God Member

Re: Council Tax 2008/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I read the facts, they are there for all to see.
You did, and they are, but you haven't represented them in your post.

Nigel commented about dog fouling and petty crime. The article does not state if Hyndburn have used the powers for petty or serious. Fact. You enjoy kicking up a fuss if it mentioned HBC whether they be to blame or not don't you.
Old 09-06-2008, 19:57   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
That is a sweeping statement councils are struggling, thankfully Hyndburn is struggling less so. Maybe you'd be in favour of scrapping councils if funding across the country is being mismanaged.

Ah yes, part time workers would be gaining rebates etc on council tax right? So you can't take the direct 22% increase.
They would not necessarily be getting rebates on Council Tax. It is also dependent on total household income, any savings etc.

You seem to be incapable of grasping just how poor many of the residents of Hyndburn are. Hyndburn has the 2nd lowest weekly/annual wages in the county - only Blackpool is marginally lower, which is probably due to the seasonal jobs in Blackpool.

I know that East Lancashire (OR Penine Lancashire as it is being styled in some quarters) as all is a 'low wage' area, but wehn you compare all the other boroughs, Hyndburn is over £1000 below the next lowest borough for wages -which is Rossendale.
Borough Median
Annual Weekly
Wages in 2007 Wages in 2007
Hyndburn £15282 £287.40
Rossendale £16298 £289.40
Burnley £17232 £308.50
Pendle £18196 £352.80
Blackburn £18284 £354.20
Ribble Valley £20066 £391.90

The GB average is £376.00 per week so Hyndburn's average is £88.60 lower than the National average (which means it is only 76.43% of the Natioanl average wage).

I am pretty sure that the same pattern of both full time and part time work exsists throughout East Lancashire, so it is valid to compare all the 6 Boroughs.

You can very easily check the figures yourself, as I have given you the link to the website.

You are quite incapable of accepting that anyone else has a valid opionion, which is a trait that you share with Peter Britcliffe. Maybe wages would be higher in Hyndburn if he had paid more attention to bringing new inward investment into the borough in 2007, rather than concnetrating his efforts on changing the name of the borough.

Last edited by claytonender; 09-06-2008 at 19:59.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 20:05   #78
God Member

Quote:
Are you okay Gary?
Andrew....You have got to realise, the second line of defense is an attempt to ridicule.....Take no notice.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 20:06   #79
God Member

This is why I've kept with percentage increases. I think it is very weak to argue that I am not capable of accepting other peoples opinion. I have accepted your figures, I accept Hyndburn is a low wage area, I accept what you're saying. However services still have to be paid for.

Do you accept it is good that in terms of PERCENTAGE increase 45% is very good compared with the national percentage increase of 100% and with a maximum of 185%?
Old 09-06-2008, 20:17   #80

Quote:
This is why I've kept with percentage increases. I think it is very weak to argue that I am not capable of accepting other peoples opinion. I have accepted your figures, I accept Hyndburn is a low wage area, I accept what you're saying. However services still have to be paid for.

Do you accept it is good that in terms of PERCENTAGE increase 45% is very good compared with the national percentage increase of 100% and with a maximum of 185%?
Rather than questioning the amount of Council Tax that is being levied, you would do better to question the present administration about what they have spent all the Goverment money that has been ploughed into the borough over the last 3 years on. Just how much of this has been wasted. How much has been spent in the areas, where there is most deprivation? Also why have they spent so much time on the proposed name change, which could have been spent on attracting 'quality' jobs to the borough.

Last edited by claytonender; 09-06-2008 at 20:19.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 20:23   #81
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You did, and they are, but you haven't represented them in your post.

Nigel commented about dog fouling and petty crime. The article does not state if Hyndburn have used the powers for petty or serious. Fact. You enjoy kicking up a fuss if it mentioned HBC whether they be to blame or not don't you.

I like to add a little balance.

No more than a little balance is necessary, as your attempt at propoganda, that HBC are good value for money, simply isn't washing.

Certainly not with the people that are actually paying it, unlike you, and who therefore have a better understanding of how hard they have to work to earn the money to pay their Council Tax, weighed against the services they receive back.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 20:29   #82
God Member

Quote:

No more than a little balance is necessary, as your attempt at propoganda, that HBC are good value for money, simply isn't washing.
Oh, so that's what Andrew was trying to convince us of all along, I hadn't quite got that!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 20:39   #83
God Member

Quote:
I like to add a little balance.

Certainly not with the people that are actually paying it, unlike you, and who therefore have a better understanding of how hard they have to work to earn the money to pay their Council Tax, weighed against the services they receive back.
I think you misunderstand. I live in a house that is taxed by the council. There is no propaganda, simply putting it as it is. My post didn't claim they were the wonderful and best-est council in the world, it simply gave information I had researched. I am quite happy to be critical of HBC, and if your article about spying powers had claimed HBC had used them for crimes such as dog fouling (which might well be true, we don't know), I would be up in arms.

It was then jumped on by mostly Labour Councillors to have a go at how terrible the council they are apart of is. The same councillors who cannot accept that 45% increase in council tax is considerably better than 100% national average and 185% high. I am glad claims of it being the most expensive council tax in the country have stopped being called though. It's quite evident from my first post that this is not the case.
Old 09-06-2008, 20:43   #84
God Member

I just wonder if you would be so supportive of a Labour council, I think not somehow. Time to take the blinkers off methinks
Old 09-06-2008, 20:44   #85
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I just wonder if you would be so supportive of a Labour council, I think not somehow. Time to take the blinkers off methinks
Who are you adressing?

Old 09-06-2008, 20:45   #86
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Who are you adressing?
AndrewB who else?
Old 09-06-2008, 20:46   #87
God Member

Quote:
If a Labour Council were to produce 45% increase over 10 years while the national average was 100% I would be perfectly happy to give credit where it is due. I can tell you that honestly. Although I somehow doubt it would be the case as up until recently every opposition (Labour) budget has increased council tax higher than the Conservative one.
Old 09-06-2008, 20:48   #88
God Member

Quote:
AndrewB who else?
Don't know...not a mind reader.......If you want to quote a statement I would be much obliged....but it general terms...it could be anyone.

Old 09-06-2008, 20:50   #89
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Don't know...not a mind reader.......If you want to quote a statement I would be much obliged....but it general terms...it could be anyone.
Anybody who has something constructive to say I grant you, all you are doing on this thread is trying to ridicule Garinda!!!
Old 09-06-2008, 20:56   #90
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Anybody who has something constructive to say I grant you, all you are doing on this thread is trying to ridicule Garinda!!!

Some people have the ability to make themselves look ridiculous, without any help from me at all.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..