Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 18:05   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: Council Tax Collection Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Well, I can happily inform you that the person involved in this little escapade was none other than, myself.

It had even got to the stage where a 'Council Tax-Notice Of Liability Order had been taken out against me with threats to send in the Bailiffs if I didn't fill in a 'Request For Relevant Information'.

Well, I didn't fill it in instead I emailed the Council and asked for a record of my payments so that I could check them against my bank statements.
A very polite but I imagine extremely harrassed lady replied Giving me the details required and also informing me that on checking these details, I was in fact up to date with my payments and that The summons and liability costs have been removed.
She did go on to say that the reason for this error was that my pay by date was the 14th of the month and some of the payments have been received after this date.

If, I was to be really bothered I think looking through my payment records I would find that in actual fact I was probably several weeks in front when making my donations to the buttie bar, but the system employed down there doesn't seem able to work that out.

However, I won't hassle the girl just on a minor technicality, instead I will thank her for her prompt action, and ask that the overpaid person in charge will try as hard and has the manners to check the figures they have before issuing their next summons to some other poor soul.

Not sure Less but I think the person your talking about may well be a computer called Fred
Old 01-03-2011, 19:07   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Not sure Less but I think the person your talking about may well be a computer called Fred

You may find this hard to believe but benefits assessing is done by real, live humans, who can and do make the odd mistake, (usually as a result of people supplying inaccurate info or having ineligible handwriting!!). The only thing the computer does is the adding up and generating the letters.

( I should know, I'm one of those real, live humans! )
Old 01-03-2011, 19:11   #48
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No, it's called neglect, whatever system it's based on, the damned thing isn't checked for the GIGO, let it generate heartache and fear amongst the populous, if they are daft enough not to check, we get more revenue.
Not the sort of attitude I expect from a 'place to be'.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 19:19   #49
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
You may find this hard to believe but benefits assessing is done by real, live humans, who can and do make the odd mistake, (usually as a result of people supplying inaccurate info or having ineligible handwriting!!). The only thing the computer does is the adding up and generating the letters.

( I should know, I'm one of those real, live humans! )
Lindsay, if you notice, I have nothing but praise for the human intervention, it solved a misunderstanding the council were prepared to dump on me.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 20:58   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Lindsay, if you notice, I have nothing but praise for the human intervention, it solved a misunderstanding the council were prepared to dump on me.
No problem Less, my comment was more directed at Jaysay who seems to think that all the work is done by computers, granted the pc does all the calculations but it's only as good as the information fed into it, by the humans!
Old 01-03-2011, 21:02   #51
Senior Member+

Depends how much beer they have had the night before as well
Old 01-03-2011, 21:07   #52
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Depends how much beer they have had the night before as well
You aren't too big for a smacked bottom you know!
Old 02-03-2011, 09:25   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
You aren't too big for a smacked bottom you know!
Keep making threats like that Linds and you'll become very popular on here with some of the lads
Old 02-03-2011, 11:21   #54
Give, give, give member

Oh no.

Get those sheets out to cover the table's shapely legs.

You've inflamed their sexual ardour.

Run Lindsay, run!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 16:11   #55
Senior Member+

It most certainly will

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..