Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2011, 17:41   #136
God Member

Re: Councillors expenses

Hang on a minute ....I understood that PB has connections to some town centre cafe where he will likely get fed free.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-01-2011, 18:08   #137
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Hang on a minute ....I understood that PB has connections to some town centre cafe where he will likely get fed free.
Oh come on Margaret you don't expect Peter to walk from Scaitcliffe house to the Market Hall just for lunch, who the hell would hold the fort whilst he was away
Old 25-01-2011, 18:41   #138
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No more fishy than Doltons doing printing for HBC
I wondered when that little nugget would get another showing. Printing council literature is pretty much a necessity, someone has to do it so why not a local firm? Butties, on the other hand, are a luxury.

If I was on £31k+ per year I think I'd just about be able to treat myself. I get £4,500 for being a councillor and even I don't consider it a loss of anemity or any of that 'against human rights' guff.

Free sandwiches? Ta ta.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 20:02   #139
Senior Member+

The contract for providing lunches at Scaitcliffe House is, under the Council's constitution, deemed to be a small contract, and as such will effectively fly under the radar in terms of requiring competitive tenders to be sought. To retain the Council's "Excellent" status, the external auditors will only look for evidence of similar providers giving similar value for money.

I assume that no other providers can do the job, because no "Excellent" council would go anywhere near allowing a serving member of the controlling group to profit personally from providing the refreshments for unbiased meetings, would they?

Last edited by gynn; 25-01-2011 at 20:10.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 21:26   #140
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

Then we must think of the staff who live in fear of the chop.....
Can't believe you said this, Ken. Whilst I agree with your 'policy' of searching out smaller spendings to relieve the budget ... holding this up as a guilt trip to staff at HBC losing their jobs is dirty tactics. Not impressed.

As for solvent councillors not claiming the expenses they are entitled to, and which would ease some lesser well off councillor's income so that they can carry out their duties without the pressure of expense, I have no time for this smug martyrdom.

I stand by my original post.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 06:25   #141
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Can't believe you said this, Ken. Whilst I agree with your 'policy' of searching out smaller spendings to relieve the budget ... holding this up as a guilt trip to staff at HBC losing their jobs is dirty tactics. Not impressed.

As for solvent councillors not claiming the expenses they are entitled to, and which would ease some lesser well off councillor's income so that they can carry out their duties without the pressure of expense, I have no time for this smug martyrdom.

I stand by my original post.
I think a certain tongue-in-cheek factor is not quite coming across in my posts.

However, I'm not being entirely flippant either about whittling out spending like this so that the people who do the actual work don't get fired. I'd rather go without the odd free meal if I knew that the ward caretaker would be litter-picking that week, or the call-centre was fully staffed, or the binmen weren't trying to cram everything into even fewer shifts, etc.

I'm quite surprised you're being seemingly quite supportive of free buffets for the councillors when the rest of the borough is wondering if they'll even have a job this time next year. I have to say that walking into a meeting to find a free lunch waiting for me and then telling everyone in Rishton that cuts have to be made doesn't sit well with my conscience.

There are hundreds of other examples of small amounts being dished out for no real reason, you only need to scan The Observer to see that. Little cheques to individuals for £250 here, £500 there....nice votewinners and even nicer for the people on the receiving end but we aren't here to use public money in that way, we should be spending to improve whole communities and once you start totting up all the little things you suddenly find that you've got a big saving.

There's also the Cabinet Action Fund which has magically been increased to £100k this year and something which the Leader of the Council can spend as he sees fit. Looking back over the years I have to say that I wouldn't have parted with a lot of it and feel that it is a lot of money in the hands of one politician.

I'll say it again, we aren't here to shout about what jolly nice chaps we are, we aren't here to crow to the world about how 'excellent' we are and we shouldn't be getting perks when the rest of the borough struggles. Even the Mayor paid for his own Civic Celebrations this year!

I can appreciate that you think there's dirty tactics at play but a council can't scream about making savage cuts and ignore ways of cushioning the blow.

Old 26-01-2011, 07:18   #142
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
The contract for providing lunches at Scaitcliffe House is, under the Council's constitution, deemed to be a small contract, and as such will effectively fly under the radar in terms of requiring competitive tenders to be sought. To retain the Council's "Excellent" status, the external auditors will only look for evidence of similar providers giving similar value for money.

I assume that no other providers can do the job, because no "Excellent" council would go anywhere near allowing a serving member of the controlling group to profit personally from providing the refreshments for unbiased meetings, would they?
How many lunches a year are we talking about, that deems the cost too small for it to tendered out?

Who caters for other council events, receptions etc?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 07:42   #143
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
How many lunches a year are we talking about, that deems the cost too small for it to tendered out?

Who caters for other council events, receptions etc?
All catering seems to be done by Hurns and sets the council back between roughly £2000-£4000 per year, last year it was £4059.79.

Occasional one-off payments have also been made from the Cabinet Action Fund for special events.

Old 26-01-2011, 07:48   #144
Give, give, give member

Quote:
All catering seems to be done by Hurns and sets the council back between roughly £2000-£4000 per year, last year it was £4059.79.

Occasional one-off payments have also been made from the Cabinet Action Fund for special events.
Not such a triffling amount to many people here in Hyndburn.

Most companies in the private sector would tender out catering for something that cost that much, to ensure they were getting value for money.

A nice 'little' earner for Cllr. Hurn.

Old 26-01-2011, 17:55   #145
JCB

Quote:
All catering seems to be done by Hurns and sets the council back between roughly £2000-£4000 per year
Roughly £2000-£4000 .

Crikey one is double the other .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 18:01   #146
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Roughly £2000-£4000 .

Crikey one is double the other .
I suppose that varience could be explained by whether the King demanded the crusts be cut off his butties, or proclaimed there are juicy cherries on his buns.

Old 26-01-2011, 18:12   #147
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Surely, roughly is against all you are preaching?

espescially when last year was above roughly?

Or are you giving way to inflation?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 18:15   #148
Give, give, give member

Perhaps if someone hadn't wanted to change the name of Hyndburn Borough Council, not to Accrington and Districts, blah, blah, blah, they'd chosen the name the Court of Hamalot B.C., they might have had more success.

Spamalot B.C., probably wouldn't have been seen as a palatable option, even though it would be more economically preferable.

There are obviously refined tastes to pander to, which can only be satisfied with the finest morsels.

Old 27-01-2011, 06:54   #149
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Surely, roughly is against all you are preaching?

espescially when last year was above roughly?

Or are you giving way to inflation?
Fair point.

It has varied between about £2000-£4000 a year since 2004.

Old 27-01-2011, 07:05   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No more fishy than Doltons doing printing for HBC

What is the issue of Daltons (as it should be spelt) doing printing for HBC? I know Graham Jones worked there, but he was in opposition wasn't he, so how could he have any influence over this?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..