Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2011, 09:50   #61
Senior Member+

Re: Councillors expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Neil I don't claim any travel allowance from home to Council and I am pretty certain that no other Labour councillor does either, but I will check with the rest of the Labour Group and get back to you.

Incidentally the law regarding eligibility to be a district councillor states that you must either live or work in the local authority in which you are a councillor.
You don't have to bother checking with me Joan.I didn't know you could claim for such a thing.Anyway I've got my bus pass now, I can get on bus for nowt.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-01-2011, 09:52   #62
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whittaker View Post

lets make it factual information please
That ever helpful 'garlinda' did supply these facts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The employment committee never met between April 2005 and May 2010, but a Tory councillor claimed an allowance every year for chairing the committee. This amounted to £2765.51.

Also the Judical Committee (External Funding) never met in 2008-2009, and 2010-2011, but the chair claimed an allowance both years of £1432.78 in 2008-2009 and £1484.00

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 09:55   #63
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accysimon View Post
I have quoted nothing but facts in this thread...

Do Councillors claim expenses for attending PACT meetings too?
We certainly don't in Rishton and I can't for one moment believe that any Labour councillor does across Hyndburn. I suspect that no Tory councillor does either because they aren't council business, they're technically public meetings. You can only claim expenses for council meetings which you have been specifically invited to or training that you have been offered.

Most council meetings are held during the day which is awkward for councillors who are tied into work hours and precludes many of the Labour group from being involved too heavily as it stands. The one meeting which definitely should be held in the evening is Full Council and yet has been repeatedly scheduled for 1.30pm by Cllr Britcliffe.

However, the remaining Full Council meetings for this electoral year are all at 7.00pm up till now.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 09:55   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
You don't have to bother checking with me Joan.I didn't know you could claim for such a thing.Anyway I've got my bus pass now, I can get on bus for nowt.

I don't see why you should be able to do this either. How many businesses allow staff to claim travel expenses to their place of work? which, effectively, is what Councillors could be classed as doing.
Old 21-01-2011, 09:57   #65
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
...... Do Councillors claim expenses for attending PACT meetings too?
If it fits in with this then they could

Quote:
The categories of approved duties for travel and subsistence claims are as follows:
1. Meetings of the Council;
2. Meetings of a Council Committee or Sub-Committee;
3. Meetings of the Cabinet or a Cabinet Committee;
4. Meetings of other bodies to which the Council makes appointments;
5. Other meetings approved by the Council or a Committee or Sub-Committee provided
members of at least two of the political groups on the Council are invited. This can include
meetings with officers;
6. Meetings of any local authority association of which the Council is a member
7. Attendance at tender openings where this is required by the Contract Procedure Rules;
8. Attendance at any statutory inspection or premises;
9. Any other duty approved by the Council or a Committee/Sub-Committee for the purpose of,
or in connection with, the discharge of the functions of the Council.
Old 21-01-2011, 10:00   #66
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I did you expect you would but I wonder if anyone does

I did not know that, thank you.
Do we have any Councillors who only work in Hyndburn but dont live here that you know of?
I don't recall anyone who worked in the borough, but didn't live in the borough, who became a Councillor.Anyway I'm one of those who thinks you should certainly live the borough you represent.

Last edited by Bernard Dawson; 21-01-2011 at 10:02.
Old 21-01-2011, 10:00   #67
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I don't see why you should be able to do this either. How many businesses allow staff to claim travel expenses to their place of work? which, effectively, is what Councillors could be classed as doing.
To be fair, lots of companies do pay travel expenses (to get to work), as part of salary packages.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 10:02   #68
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Partly, but as most meetings require an interruption to the working day it could be looked on as a sweetener that at least the petrol is covered. If you get elected you'll come to realise that you're quite often out of pocket by attending meetings if you work full-time.

I don't have too much of a problem with mileage expenses because the amounts are quite small and the officer who looks after the forms won't let you get away with anything which you are't entitled to.

Old 21-01-2011, 10:05   #69
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
If it fits in with this then they could
As far as I can see, PACT doesn't fall into any of those categories. It's purely down to the individual councillor whether they turn up or not.

Old 21-01-2011, 10:34   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
As far as I can see, PACT doesn't fall into any of those categories. It's purely down to the individual councillor whether they turn up or not.
I can think of nothing worse than a Councillor asking for a PACT meeting or two, to be rearranged as they can't attend the originals, only to not turn up or submit apology's.
Old 21-01-2011, 10:41   #71

Quote:
Another issue about the child care allowance is that..aren't most Council meetings during the day now, except Full Council? If so, shouldn't the child involved be at school? (except holidays I know, but there cant be that many to claim so much allowance can there?

In 09/10, only 2 Councillors claimed Carers Allowance..Mr Britcliffe £204.00, A Kay £40.00 Surely there are more than 2 councillors with children?
The above figures were for County Council, Hyndburn Council's are (for carer's allowance)..

Peter Britcliffe £258.13
Jennet Liddle £526.08
Paul Gott £ 353.25
Old 21-01-2011, 10:42   #72

Quote:
Partly, but as most meetings require an interruption to the working day it could be looked on as a sweetener that at least the petrol is covered. If you get elected you'll come to realise that you're quite often out of pocket by attending meetings if you work full-time.

I don't have too much of a problem with mileage expenses because the amounts are quite small and the officer who looks after the forms won't let you get away with anything which you are't entitled to.
How many Councillors also work Full Time and how many do it as a 'main' job role?
Old 21-01-2011, 10:43   #73
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Not sure how your payments work, Ken. When I was working full time and in Manchester .... was paid expenses for travel, however, if I was just going to the office and not out and about visiting customers, it was subject to Income Tax.

If this is the case with you .... short journeys, guess wouldn't be worth the time recording it, etc ? The town hall or Scaitcliffe house the workplace.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 10:47   #74

Quote:

I think the 09/10 Mileage expenses are worth reading too, with one Councillor claiming over £1000, another £800+ and the rest around £200.
Old 21-01-2011, 10:49   #75
Senior Member+

Quote:
How many Councillors also work Full Time and how many do it as a 'main' job role?
There's still a few of us who still work.Being a Councillor was never meant to be a full time job,not in Hyndburn anyway. We are not big enough for full time Councillors.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..