Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2011, 08:43   #106
God Member

Re: Councillors expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
That's one thing I am in favour of unless it has been discussed with the officer in question beforehand. Councillors sign up for a life in the public eye, council officers generally just want a job and I don't see any reason for them to become the focus for something which may end up being an unpopular move. If they're simply carrying out the instructions of the Cabinet then it is for the council to decide whether they are doing a good job, not for the public to decide based on the popularity of a policy.

In my view, civil servants enact policy, councillors take the credit or the blame for their own ideas.
Quote:
If I've given the impression that I expect council employees to be neutered puppets then that's not what I'm trying to say at all. There are some very influential and highly competent officers at HBC, I'm just saying that I don't think it's terribly fair to drag them into political slanging matches when they're simply trying to do their job.
just check out the history of the Rix guy and his connections , the guy was so smooth he gave Accrington/Hyndburn a prostate exam without needing the lube or the discomfort
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-01-2011, 09:48   #107
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
...and what first attracted you to the job of being Peter Britcliffe's agent?

Was never his agent, next quesation
Old 25-01-2011, 09:56   #108
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Oh God, here we go.....

I'm sure that when Labour take control again AccyWeb will be awash with Conservative councillors and the reds will disappear into the ether, never to be heard from again. What surprises me is that you're so absolutely sure of how Labour will play the game. Virtually all the councillors are different from when you were involved in politics and times have changed ever so slightly. You of all people should therefore realise that any reforms will need about 12 months to have any impact but I'm afraid wholesale changes aren't really an option, they're a necessity.

Better let Peter know, if he's still writing the songs then he'll need to make them too.
You've probable insulted Peter a couple of dozen times since I last spoke to him, I certainly ain't heard from anybody on HBC since well before Xmas the only person I've seen is Ken Hargreaves, and we've better things to talk about than politics As for Labour councillors disappearing, they certainly were nowhere to be seen when Flash Gordon was saving the Universe single handed so I don't think things will change, as for an influx of Tories on here, I doubt it, if they couldn't make capital when Labour were in government doubt if they'll bother at all
Old 25-01-2011, 09:57   #109
Resting in Peace

Quote:
If I've given the impression that I expect council employees to be neutered puppets then that's not what I'm trying to say at all. There are some very influential and highly competent officers at HBC, I'm just saying that I don't think it's terribly fair to drag them into political slanging matches when they're simply trying to do their job.
Thats strange, wasn't the case between 1986 and 1999
Old 25-01-2011, 09:57   #110
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Was never his agent, next quesation
What was it called then, that you did for him?

Santa's little helper?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 10:00   #111
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
just check out the history of the Rix guy and his connections , the guy was so smooth he gave Accrington/Hyndburn a prostate exam without needing the lube or the discomfort
Never heard him describe quite like that SJ
Old 25-01-2011, 10:07   #112
Common Sense Member

Quote:
You've probable insulted Peter a couple of dozen times since I last spoke to him, I certainly ain't heard from anybody on HBC since well before Xmas the only person I've seen is Ken Hargreaves, and we've better things to talk about than politics As for Labour councillors disappearing, they certainly were nowhere to be seen when Flash Gordon was saving the Universe single handed so I don't think things will change, as for an influx of Tories on here, I doubt it, if they couldn't make capital when Labour were in government doubt if they'll bother at all
Still not heard a single bad word about Ken Hargreaves but unfortunately I haven't met him either.

As regards Labour councillors on AccyWeb, I joined about a year ago when Gordon Brown was still Prime Minister and as far as I can tell we seemed to be more active then than we are now!

Mind you, three little birds have now told me that this particular message forum is known at Britcliffe HQ as 'KenWeb' so perhaps I'm unfairly hogging the limelight.

Hi Peter! Are you not playing out today? Always room for one more on KenWeb!

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 10:12   #113
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Still not heard a single bad word about Ken Hargreaves but unfortunately I haven't met him either.

As regards Labour councillors on AccyWeb, I joined about a year ago when Gordon Brown was still Prime Minister and as far as I can tell we seemed to be more active then than we are now!

Mind you, three little birds have now told me that this particular message forum is known at Britcliffe HQ as 'KenWeb' so perhaps I'm unfairly hogging the limelight.

Hi Peter! Are you not playing out today? Always room for one more on KenWeb!
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/m...ffice-hbc.html

Don't forget you can send other members a friend request.

Old 25-01-2011, 10:15   #114
Common Sense Member

Quote:
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/m...ffice-hbc.html

Don't forget you can send other members a friend request.
I might just do that, as an act of cross-party solidarity and in an effort to engender wider-ranging non-political debates within the confines of the neutral discussion ground that is Accrington Web.

Then again, he told me in full council he wouldn't be adding me as a Facebook friend, so I'm taking me bat n ball in.

Old 25-01-2011, 10:18   #115
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Then again, he told me in full council he wouldn't be adding me as a Facebook friend, so I'm taking me bat n ball in.
You could still give him a good poke.

You don't need to be his Facebook friend to have that pleasure.

Old 25-01-2011, 10:23   #116
Common Sense Member

Quote:
You could still give him a good poke.

You don't need to be his Facebook friend to have that pleasure.
So I understand, marvellous thing this interweb. A virtual version of sexual assault.

I still think I'll give it a miss. It was pointed out that he's signed up to the 'Keep Petrol Under £1.00 per litre' campaign and the waves of pleasure that his Facebook publicity gave him were quite enough for one council.

Old 25-01-2011, 11:42   #117
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I might just do that, as an act of cross-party solidarity and in an effort to engender wider-ranging non-political debates within the confines of the neutral discussion ground that is Accrington Web.

Like I've said before your now in the same boat as me
Old 25-01-2011, 11:49   #118
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Like I've said before your now in the same boat as me
Both left alone playing with our balls or spurned like someone who isn't welcome at their party? I've always been quite good at Solitaire and the thought of Conservative Blind Man's Buff conjures up all sorts of unpleasant imagery.

I'll just have to learn to live without him.

Old 25-01-2011, 15:21   #119
Common Sense Member

I was in a meeting up at Scaitcliffe this lunchtime and butties were provided.

Now whilst I wouldn't knock the quality of what was on offer, I would question whether we really needed them. I wasn't particularly hungry but I felt compelled to indulge because they were there.

In all seriousness I think we should knock them on the head and save a few thousand quid a year.

Old 25-01-2011, 16:15   #120
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I was in a meeting up at Scaitcliffe this lunchtime and butties were provided.

Now whilst I wouldn't knock the quality of what was on offer, I would question whether we really needed them. I wasn't particularly hungry but I felt compelled to indulge because they were there.

In all seriousness I think we should knock them on the head and save a few thousand quid a year.
Can't say I entirely agree with you Ken ... some councillors may have had to use their lunch time break at work to attend this meeting and, again, would only suit the better off councillors who have the luxury of not having to worry about this. Besides, wouldn't want yer blood sugars dropping .. addles the brain...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..