Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-03-2007, 20:49   #271
I am Banned

Re: Councillors in Hyndburn - Are they fit for purpose?

By the way, since AccyMel has failed to grasp the concept, this thread is an appropriate platform to discuss the matter raised by Ianto. This is because it is directly linked to the decisions made by Councillors. The decision was flawed, that is now apparent. It ought to have been apparent at the time.
gondola is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-03-2007, 20:50   #272

It is up to the residents of Hyndburn to force the Leader of our Council to be, for once in his life, honest and admit that there have been grave errors of judgement made by certain councillors.
The only worry PB has, is that on May 4 he will not have his exalted position. Unfortunately, the only way this 'sleazy' administration can be got rid of his through the ballot box. If the voters saw how PB behaves at the election count (it gives you cause to doubt both his inteligence and his sanity) they would never even think of giving him any power. to be fair to some of the members of the Tory party they are look very embrassed by his behaviour.
There is a great deal of truth in the maxim -'All power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely' I think this sums up our 'esteemed' leader of the council correctly.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2007, 20:56   #273
I am Banned

Claytonender,

Some very salient points. I think readers need to ensure that they get a response to this important issue and the manner in which any investigation is orchestrated. If the result is not satisfactory, then the only way to let those responsible know is by ensuring that they do not get the vote.

Politicians cannot knock on doors pretending to understand the needs of the constituents, then ignore their requests for an explanation when such needs have been ignored.
Old 30-03-2007, 20:57   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondola View Post
Ianto,

Indeed. There are many on here who suggest to me that if they had information from me they would progress the matter forward and the rest. However, what have they done in a matter in which the information is in the public domain? Very little.

Have they put pressure on Britcliffe to make the enquiry more transparent and balanced? Have they written to the Leader of the Council suggesting the same?

It is easy to criticise others, and claim that there is insufficient information to act. I have already made my view clear that Mr Dad ought not to be on the Community and Wellbeing Committee if his recent stance is a reflection of his view of community safety.

So come on fence sitters, let's have some action. No point requesting more information if you don't have the tenacity to act on that which is already available.
I did think of writing to PB to make the enquiry more transparent and balanced.

But on reflection, I decided that if I did I would get one of his usual brush off replies, so instead of doing that I wrote a letter to the Accrington Observer. My letter was in yesterday's edition.

I thought that raising the matter in the press would be more effective - if my letter gets slated in next weeks issue, at least I will know the point has been rammed home.

Last edited by claytonender; 30-03-2007 at 20:59.
Old 30-03-2007, 20:59   #275
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
I personaly do not care who 'gondola' is those opinions will stay with me, I have asked this thread more than once, are any heads, or should any heads, roll for the monumental blunder made by the taxi licensing committee, thus far I have not had a sensible answer to the question. Any fool can sit on the sidelines and play the 'Japaneese' sniper, and be applauded by their followers, this is not as some say a boring thread as some members think, to yours truly it is an important issue that needs sensible discussion, anyone who makes light of it should open a thread in 'Anything Goes' and take their infantile opinions to the same.
You mentioned about the taxi licencing....so why the quote below??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.w
Now I have been waiting for that answer accymel, it was stated on that above thread I quote," This thread is about are you safe in his taxi not about politics" hence the current thread. I do not intend to waste valuable time stating the exact post number, That is why this political thread was raised, without wanting to appear offenceive, do not try to baffle me with science.
Not science just logic
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2007, 21:05   #276
I am Banned

Claytonender,

Your efforts have to be commended. If others, including myself, can entrench in the minds of PB and others that these matters are of considerable importance to the general public, then I am stone cold certain that those that are conducting the investigation will be forced to undertake a more balanced investigation.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change society. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Old 30-03-2007, 21:06   #277
Beacon of light

Quote:
Ianto,

Indeed. There are many on here who suggest to me that if they had information from me they would progress the matter forward and the rest. However, what have they done in a matter in which the information is in the public domain? Very little.

Have they put pressure on Britcliffe to make the enquiry more transparent and balanced? Have they written to the Leader of the Council suggesting the same?

It is easy to criticise others, and claim that there is insufficient information to act. I have already made my view clear that Mr Dad ought not to be on the Community and Wellbeing Committee if his recent stance is a reflection of his view of community safety.

So come on fence sitters, let's have some action. No point requesting more information if you don't have the tenacity to act on that which is already available.
What makes you presume that any of us on here have not written to those responsible for the reprehensible decisions that have been fully discussed in another thread?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2007, 21:07   #278
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
You mentioned about the taxi licencing....so why the quote below??

Not science just logic
Mell I take your point but after not getting a straight answer, one gets frustrated, in my opinion it is not a subject for light hearted consideration, as I know your heart is in the right place, apologies if I was abrupt with my reply, but the subject had only just been kicked of the thread you mentioned. regards Ian
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2007, 21:08   #279

Quote:

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change society. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
I agree with you there, but there does need to be a very concerted effort to get to the truth and PB will put every obstacle in the way.
Old 30-03-2007, 21:08   #280
I am Banned

Quote:
By the way, since AccyMel has failed to grasp the concept, this thread is an appropriate platform to discuss the matter raised by Ianto. This is because it is directly linked to the decisions made by Councillors. The decision was flawed, that is now apparent. It ought to have been apparent at the time.
I wouldnt patronise me Gondola, you may have the big words but no substance to them - so beggars belief why you put this thread up in the 1st place

Taken from taxi licencing thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gondola
I think it unfair of me to hijack this thread with discussions not directly linked to the title of the thread. This may disenchant some of the readers.

Perhaps someone would care to direct me to a link or some such on how to create a new thread for purposes of setting up a separate discussion. Unless of course readers do not mind unrelated matters being discussed here.
So make your mind up is this about the taxi licencing thread issue or about the councillors being fit for purpose - If its both then why start a new thread or better still stay on topic!!
Old 30-03-2007, 21:11   #281
Beacon of light

It IS indeed a very serious subject. These people are being paid with our money, yet they appear not to have our interests or safety at heart.
Old 30-03-2007, 21:13   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It IS indeed a very serious subject. These people are being paid with our money, yet they appear not to have our interests or safety at heart.
I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Old 30-03-2007, 21:13   #283
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Mell I take your point but after not getting a straight answer, one gets frustrated, in my opinion it is not a subject for light hearted consideration, as I know your heart is in the right place, apologies if I was abrupt with my reply, but the subject had only just been kicked of the thread you mentioned. regards Ian
No worries Ian but do u honestly think you will get the honest straight answer u require from gondola - which tbh does anyone know who gondola is or what he does & what his intentions with regard to this discussion, i would proceed with caution
Old 30-03-2007, 21:14   #284
I am Banned

Accymel wrote: ‘’So make your mind up is this about the taxi licencing thread issue or about the councillors being fit for purpose’’

Those Councillors that voted in favour are not fit for purpose in my considered view. Thus this thread is a suitable platform for discussion of both since there is a clear correlation between the two issues.
Old 30-03-2007, 21:17   #285
Beacon of light

So the answer to the question that this thread posed is - the majority are not fit for purpose....with the exception of Clare Pritchard who stood up to the main body of the committee.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..