Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-03-2007, 20:01   #106
Super Moderator

Re: Councillors in Hyndburn - Are they fit for purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
WHAT? Where's your proof? As far as I am aware the Idiot in Chief grew up in Ossy,
Afraid not A-B, young Peter spent his formative years in a shop on the corner of Willows Lane and Charter Street which is just a short stroll down Crossland Street and through the "underground" to Grant Street! As Garinda points out, I know this because I was a youthful playmate of his.

So you see, you're both from the same 'hood!

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 28-03-2007 at 20:06.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-03-2007, 21:38   #107
God Member

What can I say? I'm gobsmacked!

I do not recall any child living in either of the shops at the junction of Charter street and Willows Lane. I have racked what is left of my brains but I do not recall either of the occupants being called Britcliffe either. The couple who ran the grocery shop were childless and the couple who ran the Off Licence were too old. There was a third shop opposite the junction but I do not remember that ever being open. There was a small grocery/sweet shop at the top of Crossland Street which was run by an old lady and another facing the top of Crossland Street which I dimly recall having children but they always seemed to me to be a bit of an odd family. And where does Nora Butcher fit into all this????

Anyone care to supplement my memory?????

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 28-03-2007 at 21:43.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 22:33   #108
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I have racked what is left of my brains but I do not recall either of the occupants being called Britcliffe either. The couple who ran the grocery shop were childless and the couple who ran the Off Licence were too old.
May I suggest that you perhaps rent a DVD of the BBC series the League of Gentlemen. In it there was also a local shop, for local people, run by Edward, and his lovely wife Tubs. They also had a child, too grotesque for public view, and kept him chained up in an attic.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...e+of+gentlemen

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 07:31   #109
Super Moderator

Quote:
Anyone care to supplement my memory?????
It was the off-licence, A-B! That's where Mr and Mrs Britcliffe lived with their son, Peter in the 50's and 60's. You're right about that family in the shop facing the top of Crossland Street, though!

Sorry about the thread wander, folks, but I'm just passing the time until Gondola comes back with his promised revelations.
Old 29-03-2007, 13:16   #110
Resting in peace

Getting back on thread, without wanting to drag the Taxi driver thread back but, as this is supposed to be about councillors fit for purpose, as with the bouquets go the brickbats, has anyone reisigned or been asked to, with regard to the disgracefull handling of this driver being granted a licence to drive a taxi, with a sexual offenders record?, or are all and sundry running round like headless chickens hoping it will dissapear. It may be that the cleaners are busy sweeping it under the carpet, as there has been a pregnant silence for sometime.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 14:35   #111

gondola... I read with interest and laugh out really loud.... this "carry on council" we curently put up never fail to amaze me with the depths they will stoop to......... ANYTHING that highlights the incompitancies of "Sid Britcliffe" &"Hattie Battle" over looked by the likes of "Bernard Tanti" & "Barbara Ellis" HAS to be high lighted and put into the mix AND i will always question anyone who finds it necessary to speak or write anything detrimental against such an action.............. BRAVO
Old 29-03-2007, 14:39   #112
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjim View Post
gondola... I read with interest and laugh out really loud.... this "carry on council" we curently put up never fail to amaze me with the depths they will stoop to......... ANYTHING that highlights the incompitancies of "Sid Britcliffe" &"Hattie Battle" over looked by the likes of "Bernard Tanti" & "Barbara Ellis" HAS to be high lighted and put into the mix AND i will always question anyone who finds it necessary to speak or write anything detrimental against such an action.............. BRAVO

As you appear to think gondola has actually told us anything perhaps you can share it with the rest of us ?
Old 29-03-2007, 14:53   #113

its a pity you cant read into whats being said as quick as you can come up with a respose....
Old 29-03-2007, 14:59   #114
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjim View Post
its a pity you cant read into whats being said as quick as you can come up with a respose....
Yep
Old 29-03-2007, 15:22   #115
Senior Member+

My god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are one and the same!!!!!!!

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 15:26   #116
I am Banned

Mindful of the unrelated discussion on here the past day or so, I thought for a moment I had stumbled onto the wrong thread. Such a moment of madness was only made possible by the fact that that the very people who lambasted me with accusations of derailing the other thread were responsible here for deviating from the title of this thread. Fortunately, Ianto has insisted on restoring discussion to matters of importance.

I see thus far, notwithstanding the fact that I have invited others, most notably Councillor Jones, to come up with a name or two of individuals that have resigned their positions of responsibility (forming part of their duties as Councillors), there have been no offerings. In the unlikely event that this information is not known to them, here’s another clue. Jean Battle was on the same Committee as one at the time. Surely that narrows it down somewhat.

I wonder why the resignation was tendered. Was it prompted by an extraordinary misjudgement, or directly attributed to the fact that such woeful actions were considered incongruous with the professed principles of an upstanding member of society that a Councillor ought to be
gondola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 15:32   #117
Give, give, give member

Do you not think you'd have got a better response to your thread if you'd have used better, clearer English?

Then we might know what the hell you're waffling on about.

Old 29-03-2007, 15:35   #118
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

That is all part of the game he is playing.
Old 29-03-2007, 15:36   #119
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That is all part of the game he is playing.

Yeah, solitaire.

Old 29-03-2007, 15:44   #120
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

He is getting a little boring now.
gondola if you wants to tell us something then just tell us. If not then go and write to the Observer, their readers expect to wait a week for a reply. On a forum we expect it a little quicker than that or we move onto something else.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..