Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 01:34   #16
God Member

Re: Councillor's sons jailed, victim says she'll sue

There is no defence for this man's sons and if this bloke did defend them for an attack on anyone then it's not on... but I learned a long time ago not to believe any "statements" made to the press... the press are not interested in the truth..the are only intersted in headlines and selling papers.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-08-2009, 04:43   #17
Senior Member+

on a side note

interestingly the court case was taken to burnley - after seeing how the victim looked it was the only place she'd look normal.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:48   #18
God Member

Justice has been served. To oust the father because of what his sons actions have done is wrong. If all parents had to quit there jobs because of the actions of their offspring then we would be in a real mess. The victim has the right to sue but sue the sons and leave the rest of the family out. It seems that the father has been found guilty by association when he has had nothing to do with what happened.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:49   #19
Beacon of light

I agree that this father should have kept his mouth shut......I think that when he said he was proud of his sons, it didn't refer to their actions in this case....it meant in general.....though I feel it was an innappropriate comment at the time.

And I think that his position in the LCC is not weakened, because most of the people that he represents will judge him on his work within the LCC, rather than the soundbites and media coverage of this court case.

I haven't seen any adverse comments about his work for LCC or seen any calls for his resignation, based on this court case.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:51   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
on a side note

interestingly the court case was taken to burnley - after seeing how the victim looked it was the only place she'd look normal.
Not in the least bit funny
Old 02-08-2009, 08:54   #21
Give, give, give member

There's no legal or moral reason for him to step down, but would I vote for someone who said this of their sons after the attacks?

'He said: "This is a very regrettable incident. It was out of character for my sons. They are both very sorry about the whole incident and they will never behave like this in the future'

"I am very proud of my sons and they are now moving on with their lives, education and future."

Councillor defends his violent sons - News - Accrington Observer

No I wouldn't.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:04   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
There's no legal or moral reason for him to step down, but would I vote for someone who said this of their sons after the attacks?

'He said: "This is a very regrettable incident. It was out of character for my sons. They are both very sorry about the whole incident and they will never behave like this in the future'

"I am very proud of my sons and they are now moving on with their lives, education and future."

Councillor defends his violent sons - News - Accrington Observer

No I wouldn't.
Well you wouldn't have voted for him anyway
Old 02-08-2009, 09:16   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well you wouldn't have voted for him anyway
Unless you've had access to my voting record, and it isn't a secret ballot after all, you don't know who I'd vote for.

All I've ever posted on here was that I vote for who I think is the best candidate, which means I haven't always voted for the candidate from one particular party.

You see my vote is discriminate, unlike some.

As posted, I wouldn't vote for this man, whose sons helped his campaign, because of his comments.

It's nothing to do with him being a Conservative, which I hadn't mentioned, until you seemed to think it had some relevance to me, which it doesn't.

Anyone with a modicum of intelligence on here knows that if he hadn't been a councillor representing the party you belong to, you'd be calling him all the names under the sun, along with the other blinkered suppoters.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:35   #24
Beacon of light

Nor would I vote for him, but I am sure the people of his own community/ethnicity(I hope that doesn't sound racist....it isn't meant to be) will make their own choices based on how he does the job.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:44   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Unless you've had access to my voting record, and it isn't a secret ballot after all, you don't know who I'd vote for.

All I've ever posted on here was that I vote for who I think is the best candidate, which means I haven't always voted for the candidate from one particular party.

You see my vote is discriminate, unlike some.

As posted, I wouldn't vote for this man, whose sons helped his campaign, because of his comments.

It's nothing to do with him being a Conservative, which I hadn't mentioned, until you seemed to think it had some relevance to me, which it doesn't.

Anyone with a modicum of intelligence on here knows that if he hadn't been a councillor representing the party you belong to, you'd be calling him all the names under the sun, along with the other blinkered suppoters.
I think you'll find you have intimated on here before today you wouldn't vote Tory, just making an observation
Old 02-08-2009, 10:24   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Nor would I vote for him, but I am sure the people of his own community/ethnicity(I hope that doesn't sound racist....it isn't meant to be) will make their own choices based on how he does the job.
We will have to wait and see Margaret, has only been there a few weeks .. he only ousted Doreen Pollitt (on 22 votes) due to national issues and let's face it he was representing a heavy populated Asian area. That's realistic, not racist. There again, can't really say this can you, maybe lots of Asians voted against him if they had knowledge of the type of family they were.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:51   #27
Beacon of light

Yes Kate, I am sure you are right....and again, not meaning to be racist, but the ethnicity of the area probably accounts for why he was elected in the first place.....so let his own community do the judging.
Old 02-08-2009, 16:26   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think you'll find you have intimated on here before today you wouldn't vote Tory, just making an observation
Well your observation is wrong.

Please feel free to search through my posts for evidence to the contrary.

(I'll give you a little help...you won't find any evidence to support your claim.)

Never judge a book by it's cover, it's a very stupid thing to do.

Old 02-08-2009, 17:26   #29
Resting in Peace

Mani has never offered an opinion here ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:46   #30
Senior Member+

mani is the talk show host he does the asking...

no there's a reason his win was only 22 votes. i know alot of asians in general dont think too highly of him. alot of them voted because coun. dad was his wing man and he's very much respected by alot of people. alot of the neutral people were surprised he'd actually taken the win.

personally? i do think his position isnt as secure as coun. dad and this will further weaken his standing amongst the people he's meant to be representing.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..