Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 17:45   #1
Resting in Peace

Crash for Cash

Yesterday afternoon a friend of mine was on his way home from Blackburn on Blackburn Road Westend, he took up position to turn right up Spread Eagle, indicators on nothing coming the other way, so he made the move to turn right when all of a sudden a car which was parked at the kerb set off and broadsided him (very little damage), in the care there were seven gypsies, they got out asking for my friends insurance details which he obliged but they refused to give him theirs (probably didn't have any, nor a driving license either)say they had to dash to the hospital as one of their kinds had been injured and of they went. As soon as he told me I told him to get onto your insurance and tell them you've been scammed. Mined how you go
Old 01-10-2013, 17:46   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Crash for Cash

Bloody Pikies
pallyman likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 17:54   #3
Senior Member+

Let us know how he gets on jaysay.
It sounds like another scam for drivers to be aware of.
Old 01-10-2013, 20:23   #4
Senior Member+

scam

has he phoned the police?
did he get a reg?
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 20:49   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

If in doubt phone the Police and tell them the road is blocked and you are concerned for your safety as there is a large group in the other car.
Old 01-10-2013, 21:32   #6
Senior Member+

Notify your insurance company and the police so that their number can be put on file for when they try it on later
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 21:33   #7
God Member

if he has their number call them and tell them he had passed the video from his road Angel video recording device to his insurance company and the police to ensure its dealt with fairly
and that the little ones injuries can be fairly assessed.

that should see off any fraudulent claim. :-)

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 22:26   #8

What a nightmare, having seen cars delivered on trailers and then people take a baseball bat to them, the only thing that surprises me is that they think they will get away with it. Hope your friend can get it sorted quickly.

There is another scam going on where a driver flashes you and the drives into you denying they had flashed you. Latest advice is to ignore people flashing you for any reason, what a sad state of affairs.

I was doing some research about a building earlier in the year and was surprised by the number of injury claims companies I came across in Accrington and not always operating visibly from a shop premises.
xavtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 22:31   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavtia View Post
There is another scam going on where a driver flashes you and the drives into you denying they had flashed you. Latest advice is to ignore people flashing you for any reason...
They tell you that when you learn to drive, flashing isn`t giving you right of way, it`s a warning to you that they are there.
Flashing Headlights

Or a warning there is a speed trap ahead.
Studio25 likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 22:46   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I was told by an accident investigator never to flash your lights at a car. He was involved in an accident where a driver flashed another car out and a third car hit the one he had flashed out. The flasher was found to be at fault in court.
Studio25 likes this.
Old 01-10-2013, 22:51   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I was told by an accident investigator never to flash your lights at a car. He was involved in an accident where a driver flashed another car out and a third car hit the one he had flashed out. The flasher was found to be at fault in court.
I would have thought the car that pulled out was at fault, he should have ignored the flash.
Old 02-10-2013, 17:31   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
scam

has he phoned the police?
did he get a reg?
The police aren't interested until the insurance companies contact them and he did get the reg and passed it on the his insurers
Old 02-10-2013, 20:21   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The police aren't interested until the insurance companies contact them and he did get the reg and passed it on the his insurers
You can check whether a car is insured for free here - http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/
You`re only supposed to use it to check your own car, but who`ll know.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
They tell you that when you learn to drive, flashing isn`t giving you right of way, it`s a warning to you that they are there.
Flashing Headlights

Or a warning there is a speed trap ahead.
I get fed up with people on the right who insist on trying to give up their right of way at a mini roundabout. Granted, it's usually old people who think they are doing other drivers some sort of favour, but it could easily be used as a way to crash into someone for their insurance.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 15:03   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
I would have thought the car that pulled out was at fault, he should have ignored the flash.
I agree, if you pull out and hit something it's your fault but this accident examiner says the flasher is very often found to be at fault.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..